Prospect Info: Linus Weissbach (2017, 192nd) Signed by Frolunda, SHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I'm going to right him off as a UFA loss.

I honestly don't think his Agent would advise him to sign with the Sabres, unless it's his only decent option of the offers given.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I'm going to right him off as a UFA loss.

I honestly don't think his Agent would advise him to sign with the Sabres, unless it's his only decent option of the offers given.
I am quite sure his agent would advise him to sign with the Sabres if we offer to put him on the NHL roster right now. He will earn a lot in that short time. Much better than waiting to start play in the AHL with someone else next season.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'd like to see the Sabres sign him or at least make him an offer. Won't lose any sleep if he waits for UFA.

Is this one of those deals where if the Sabres sign him and play him this year, he burns a year of his ELC? That could be a consideration in his signing. Another thing could be whether it's better to sign with a team with obvious needs and holes that need to be filled or with a team that does not have as many opportunities for ice time.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Here's the link:

Sabres Notebook: Granato and Ellis behind bench after false positives, long rides

And the quote from the article:

"..........The game also marked the end of the college career of Wisconsin winger Linus Weissbach, the Sabres' seventh round pick in 2017. Weissbach posted career highs this year in goals, assists and points over 31 games (12-29-41). Speculation persists that Weissbach is not signing with the Sabres and will pursue free agency now that he's finished his four years with the Badgers. "​

Reactions: joshjull

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I am quite sure his agent would advise him to sign with the Sabres if we offer to put him on the NHL roster right now. He will earn a lot in that short time. Much better than waiting to start play in the AHL with someone else next season.

Yeah but this is the Sabres we're talking about. They'd rather dress the Okposos and the Eakins than give some potentially ready kids a chance.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not a fan of the Ncaa loophole. I'll leave it at that.

what loop hole?

European players have till June 1 of draft year +4
CHL p,Ayers has 2 yrs to sign, if 20 they renter the draft for 2 more years
College kids who are generally drafted when they are about to start college it’s draft yr+4 but moved to august 15 because of various school calendars and when colleges graduate

I dont recall Davidsson signing and he has a june 1.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Whatever it is, I am not a fan. I know you didn't ask but a simple solution is to give the drafting team the first right of refusal.

the better option is give him the ability to sign a commit without money until they turn pro.

the other option...college bound players aren’t in their 18 yr old draft and move to bring in as a 20 yr old and Then teams hold their rights for 3 yrs. for most that will put the rights at a yr+ post graduation if not longer

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
the better option is give him the ability to sign a commit without money until they turn pro.

the other option...college bound players aren’t in their 18 yr old draft and move to bring in as a 20 yr old and Then teams hold their rights for 3 yrs. for most that will put the rights at a yr+ post graduation if not longer
Yeah, this is the real genesis of the issue. Non-college players you can sign someone to lock in their rights and let them keep playing in whatever league they're in. College you can't sign them without terminating their college eligibility, which is a barrier to where there would normally be a meeting of the minds (player seeks long term stability before they're fully proven, team seeks to lock player in). But alas, you'd need the NCAA to change their rules, not the NHL.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

The money is why they commit. The signing bonus is a big motivator. That's guaranteed money that can be up to 10% of the ELC. It's paid every year for the length of the ELC regardless of whether the player is returned to juniors or plays in Europe. Cozens was paid $92,500 last season. He would have received the same amount if he was sent back to juniors this season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, this is the real genesis of the issue. Non-college players you can sign someone to lock in their rights and let them keep playing in whatever league they're in. College you can't sign them without terminating their college eligibility, which is a barrier to where there would normally be a meeting of the minds (player seeks long term stability before they're fully proven, team seeks to lock player in). But alas, you'd need the NCAA to change their rules, not the NHL.

That doesn’t happen much with 7th round picks (or any picks outside the first couple rounds).

To me the college stuff is always overblown. I think its more likely a team has a Hagel situation with a junior player than a player walks after 4 years of college hockey.

There are pros and cons to drafting out of these various leagues. If Weissbach was in Canadian juniors we would have had to make him a contract offer a couple years ago to retain his rights. Otherwise we would relinquish them like we did with Hagel and he can sign elsewhere. Instead we got two additional years of development. Free development I might add but it comes with the risk of him leaving via fee agency.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This is gonna sound very "old man get off my lawn!" of me but if a late round pick like that who got passed by how many times only to be thrown a life preserver by this team doesn't wanna sign with said team then good riddance. This entire organization needs a character re-haul regardless so don't let the door swing to hard on your way out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I always think it’s odd that they’re so concerned about schools paying players that they have to maintain amateur status but if someone is good at what they do regarding their academics, at least some fields, they can sign a letter of intent and wind up employed immediately upon leaving school.

really all the clause in the CVA does is put the onus on the team to maintain a solid relationship with their draftees. And if they don’t… You frequently see players going elsewhere. I also don’t begrudge anyone the choice to work in the field they decide to be employed in in a location that they would desire. While I would love my favorite sports teams to be able to flourish, I think it’s more important to at least allow a little bit of choice for players, especially ones who are putting in all of the work to go from being a late round flyer to being an actual player.

Reactions: joshjull and Husko

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I've always thought that there should be some sort of prospect reserve list limit, like there is the 50 pro contract limit.

A 20-25 prospect limit would make sense and then teams need to release players from their list in the timeframe between the draft and FA beginning.

Then teams won't have to worry about losing good prospects just because they age out.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I always think it’s odd that they’re so concerned about schools paying players that they have to maintain amateur status but if someone is good at what they do regarding their academics, at least some fields, they can sign a letter of intent and wind up employed immediately upon leaving school.

really all the clause in the CVA does is put the onus on the team to maintain a solid relationship with their draftees. And if they don’t… You frequently see players going elsewhere. I also don’t begrudge anyone the choice to work in the field they decide to be employed in in a location that they would desire. While I would love my favorite sports teams to be able to flourish, I think it’s more important to at least allow a little bit of choice for players, especially ones who are putting in all of the work to go from being a late round flyer to being an actual player.

And "regular students" can have paid internships over the summer, can make money with podcasts, YT channels, etc. that athletes couldn't do previously.

It will be interesting to see how far the NCAA goes with allowing athletes to make money off of the popularity their talents create.

Reactions: Husko and Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I've always thought that there should be some sort of prospect reserve list limit, like there is the 50 pro contract limit.

A 20-25 prospect limit would make sense and then teams need to release players from their list in the timeframe between the draft and FA beginning.

Then teams won't have to worry about losing good prospects just because they age out.

there is a 90 player rights limit. Thus woukd be 40 player max on unsigned+ sliding contracts. Buffalo coukd have gotten really close to this in 2013-2016.

And "regular students" can have paid internships over the summer, can make money with podcasts, YT channels, etc. that athletes couldn't do previously.

It will be interesting to see how far the NCAA goes with allowing athletes to make money off of the popularity their talents create.

the NCAA has some not all that known rules on college kids under scholarship limiting their ability to get income from elsewhere. This is why college scholarship kids shoukd get some sort of weekly stipend of say $100 per week.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
there is a 90 player rights limit. Thus woukd be 40 player max on unsigned+ sliding contracts. Buffalo coukd have gotten really close to this in 2013-2016.

I think that it would take a smaller list to get the NHLPA onboard with changing things in this regard.

the NCAA has some not all that known rules on college kids under scholarship limiting their ability to get income from elsewhere. This is why college scholarship kids should get some sort of weekly stipend of say $100 per week.

The problem is for all the non-revenue producing sports and adding to their budgets. That's why loosening rules that create non-school revenue opportunities for athletes just makes sense to me.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Since nothing has happened yet, I am assuming he is not signing here. With the injuries we have and the approaching trade deadline, you would think a contract would of been offered by now. I am not saying he is a savior but a kid to see what he can do at a higher level. We have contracts available. And roster spots. He can make a good chunk of change signing right away.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad