Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
having seen Ostapchuk play many games live, would have been nice but I feel the Sens know they have a solid one there

yes, he is also taking up a massive 3-4% of the B`s overall cap

Is he?

1) SOMEONE has to take the #2 goalie spot and take SOME of the cap

2) In year 2 of the deal (if he's still here), you're gonna discover that with the cap up, salaries up, AND the delta between Korpi and just any backup, that MAYBE he took 1% extra of the cap

So people gotta math better and stress less

Also check what Talbot did with Ottawa. Then check what he then did with LA aged 36. Breath.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Me personally I don't like the fact they traded him within the division. You have 8 teams competing for max 5 playoff spots and they just fixed one opposing teams biggest weakness.

I'd would of waited instead of making this move right now. I'm with you I don't put a whole lot of value on that 25th overall pick.

I would think during the course of the season, some teams playoff hopes are going to go to the shitter because of their goaltending. Ullmark knows hes not getting playoff starts behind Swayman unless something catastrophic happens.

At that point its in his best interest to waive to go somewhere even if its just for a couple months to finish out the season and get more playoff games on his resume before his next and maybe last contract.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
21,599 000 cap space

Brown is included so they could find another 835,000 if needed

And one of Bussi or Korps would come of the total as well so frees up at least another 775,000.

So in reality they could have at least 23,200 000 and even more if they were to trade or demote the Korps.

Reactions: DoubleBack
Feb 25, 2016
So what kind of prospect could we see at pick 25 that will get all our groins tingling like when we were climbing the rope in the gym?

Rope.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Carl Hungus and BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There was no outcry at all, Halak was a proven commodity who had an incredible playoff run with the Habs, keeping future HOF Carey Price stapled to the bench. Contrast that with Korpisalo coming over a terrible year in Ottawa andy Swee having " to be fixed " by the Bruins for another 4 years at 3 mil/year. Throw in the fact that the Sens couldn't give him away and were likely to be buying him out and this was horrific management by Sweeney.

That run was a decade prior to him coming to Boston. Heck, prior to Boston he was placed on waivers with the Islanders and 31 teams said no.

And if we are talking playoff runs, go look at Korpisalo's playoff numbers in the 2020 bubble. Including an 85 save performance in that 5 OT marathon against TB.

This will be his 10th season. He had a .914 SP the year before coming to Ottawa. He's had previous years over 900. He's far from unproven. I would say he's not consistent, but neither have the franchise he's played for been consistent either.

And while I won't blame his struggles on Ottawa all on the defensive play, I see a fair bit of that team being in their local TV region and that Ottawa team stunk out the joint defensively last year.

Reactions: goldenblack

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would think during the course of the season, some teams playoff hopes are going to go to the shitter because of their goaltending. Ullmark knows hes not getting playoff starts behind Swayman unless something catastrophic happens.

At that point its in his best interest to waive to go somewhere even if its just for a couple months to finish out the season and get more playoff games on his resume before his next and maybe last contract.

I would of done what the Oilers did in 1995 when they had Cujo and Ranford and when Boston's goaltending didn't get the job done, desperation set in.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
After reading what Raycroft said and listening to Chris and Dom yesterday explaining why the Bruins got the return they did for Ullmark, I think there are two ways at looking at this deal.

If we isolate this deal from a pure value standpoint, I still don't think the Bruins got enough in return for taking on Korpisalo's contract. I think if there was another B/C-level prospect or pick added to the deal from Ottawa, it would have been a fairer return especially since the Bruins are making a divisional team stronger by giving them Ullmark. The Bruins in this deal also did not free up enough cap space which makes you wonder if there were any other deals available that would have cleared all of Ullmark's cap hit. Does this also mean that the Bruins would be fine with waiving Bussi and potentially losing him if Korpisalo beats him out at camp?

If you look at the trade at a larger picture, the Bruins got a 1st, a younger Maroon replacement, and a backup goaltender for a goalie they basicallly got for free in free agency in 2021. The remaining goaltenders in free agency aren't the greatest and don't espouse the greatest of confidence. Korpisalo may have been the best choice to battle it out with Bussi for that backup spot on the NHL roster. Korpisalo can always get waived if Bussi beats him out.

If the Bruins keep their 1st and the player they draft becomes an NHLer, if Korpisalo bounces back and could potentially be moved at the trade deadline* for another asset or in a package that returns a player with a higher cap hit, and if Kastelic becomes a fixture in the bottom 6, then this trade could end up well in the long run.

That's the Catch-22. That's a lot of ifs, and it will all depend on what the Bruins do at the draft, free agency, and the rest of the offseason.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Are we at the point of defending this trade to where we compare stats of a goalie who nobody wanted to last seasons Vezina winner?

There are some people that are just completely content with the playoff bid each year and this move gives them at least some comfort that it will continue without any regard for the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Korpisalo may have been the best choice to battle it out with Bussi for that backup spot on the NHL roster. Korpisalo can always get waived if Bussi beats him out.

If the B's keep Korpisalo they either have to trade Bussi, run 3 goalies or lose Bussi to waivers right?

Well they have to waive him. If a team claims him he has to stay on their NHL roster. So it’s not a certainty - far from it - that Bussi would get claimed.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet Bussi isn't here next October. There won't be any battle in camp. One way or another he'll be traded, whether that is on his own or part of a package.

They go out and re-sign Dipietro who also needs waivers. And then the day they trade for Korpisalo, they re-sign Bussi for one-year, two-way deal. I just don't think it adds up to Bussi being here next year at all and he will get the Dan Vladar treatment.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If I was a betting man, I'd bet Bussi isn't here next October. There won't be any battle in camp. One way or another he'll be traded, whether that is on his own or part of a package.

They go out and re-sign Dipietro who also needs waivers. And then the day they trade for Korpisalo, they re-sign Bussi for one-year, two-way deal. I just don't think it adds up to Bussi being here next year at all and he will get the Dan Vladar treatment.
It’s certainly possible. People may want to remember that the only ones writing his name in pen as the backup were fans - the Bruins never said or did anything to indicate that was the plan (including getting him a game or two in the NHL).

Reactions: BruinDust

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I'm too lazy to go back and look but was there all this vitriol over having a 3 million dollar back-up when they signed Halak for 2.75 to pair up with 7 million dollar man Tuukka Rask for two years. Then extended him for a 3rd year for 2.25 million + 1.25 in performance bonuses.

% of cap towards goaltending 2018-19 = 12.26

2019-20 = 11.96

2020-21 = 11.35 without performance bonus, 12.88 with bonus included

2024-25 with Swayman at 8.0 million AAV = 12.5
There was certainly criticism, they let Khudobin go who signed in Dallas for 2 years 5 million, to sign Halak for 2 years 5.5 million. Halak had been in the bottom third in save percentage but he wasn't at the very bottom and didn't get 4 years.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Yup it's certainly possible. From what I have heard and read, he didn't have a dominate season down in Providence.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There was certainly criticism, they let Khudobin go who signed in Dallas for 2 years 5 million, to sign Halak for 2 years 5.5 million. Halak had been in the bottom third in save percentage but he wasn't at the very bottom and didn't get 4 years.

I remember myself posting that I wanted Khudobin back over Halak. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
The NTC Ulmark has was likely a trade off for some $ when the Bruins signed him. I think this came back to bite them in this trade, it limited the Bruins options.
His not extending before the trade diminished his value, that hurt the Bruins as he is a one year rental. The Sens in trying to work out an extension will have to deal with these also.

There are many more moves to come, possibly including Korpisalo or Bussi and/or the 25th pick.

Don Sweeney seems to get all the blame for the Bruins Playoff failures while the failures are compared to what great President Trophy winning/competing teams he's built. Which is it? Is he great or awful?? Let me check the weather vane for a clue.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
That run was a decade prior to him coming to Boston. Heck, prior to Boston he was placed on waivers with the Islanders and 31 teams said no.

And if we are talking playoff runs, go look at Korpisalo's playoff numbers in the 2020 bubble. Including an 85 save performance in that 5 OT marathon against TB.

This will be his 10th season. He had a .914 SP the year before coming to Ottawa. He's had previous years over 900. He's far from unproven. I would say he's not consistent, but neither have the franchise he's played for been consistent either.

And while I won't blame his struggles on Ottawa all on the defensive play, I see a fair bit of that team being in their local TV region and that Ottawa team stunk out the joint defensively last year.

So many of you are working way too hard to justify this trade, in particular the Korpisalo part of it. People hear in Ottawa are still celebrating this trade, as much as for the acquisition of Ullmark as for unloading Korpisalo and that bloated contract. I was shocked that the Sens were able to offload Matt Murray to TO, then they pull off another magical move in finding a suitor for Korps without paying a price, amazing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s certainly possible. People may want to remember that the only ones writing his name in pen as the backup were fans - the Bruins never said or did anything to indicate that was the plan (including getting him a game or two in the NHL).

I guess that's the thing right, we really don't know how the front office viewed Bussi as an option for next year. Could be great, could be Nik Svedberg 2.0.

They could of certainly said they wanted a more proven guy and considered what was available in free agency and it helped seal the deal. I think Peeke was somewhat similar in that they saw the options on RD in free agency and decided trading for Peeke was better than competing for the small number of capable UFA right-shot D.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
That looks like something that could keep Hulk harmless

Been there done that. I had esophageal cancer in 2006, caught very early. Still had radical surgery at the BIMC. I had CT scans with contrast for 3 years, twice a year until they gave me the ALL CLEAR. Hope you're not claustrophobic!:naughty:

I believe Peeke > Gryz or Forbort at this point in their careers. He looked fine against TOR until he got hurt
Good for you 👍. And yeah, let’s see what a full season of Peeke is like. He still had that Cbus stink on him last season

• Haha
Reactions: Gee Wally

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Can I just say, I don't really care that much about Bussi (maybe he'll be good, maybe he'll stink) or the cap space (its not good, but it's not my main issue). It's the f***ing trade where you take back a bad player with legit term and get nothing to show for it.

Ullmark for the 25th pick was a fair trade. A goalie with a full NTC not as good as him with only two years left just got his team a better deal, so this is not me speculating.

Ullmark for the 25th and 4 years of a shitty goaltender is awful. Teams are always adding real picks for teams to take their awful contracts. I know because Don Sweeney does it all the f***ing time.

If he continues to be Krappysalo and plays 25 games, they're not making the playoffs next year. I really don't think enough people on here appreciate just how historically good the Bruins goaltending has been the last two seasons, and now its significantly worse. (And that's without factoring in what a heavier workload will mean for Swayman's overall play.)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
After reading what Raycroft said and listening to Chris and Dom yesterday explaining why the Bruins got the return they did for Ullmark, I think there are two ways at looking at this deal.

If we isolate this deal from a pure value standpoint, I still don't think the Bruins got enough in return for taking on Korpisalo's contract. I think if there was another B/C-level prospect or pick added to the deal from Ottawa, it would have been a fairer return especially since the Bruins are making a divisional team stronger by giving them Ullmark. The Bruins in this deal also did not free up enough cap space which makes you wonder if there were any other deals available that would have cleared all of Ullmark's cap hit. Does this also mean that the Bruins would be fine with waiving Bussi and potentially losing him if Korpisalo beats him out at camp?

If you look at the trade at a larger picture, the Bruins got a 1st, a younger Maroon replacement, and a backup goaltender for a goalie they basicallly got for free in free agency in 2021. The remaining goaltenders in free agency aren't the greatest and don't espouse the greatest of confidence. Korpisalo may have been the best choice to battle it out with Bussi for that backup spot on the NHL roster. Korpisalo can always get waived if Bussi beats him out.

If the Bruins keep their 1st and the player they draft becomes an NHLer, if Korpisalo bounces back and could potentially be moved at the trade deadline* for another asset or in a package that returns a player with a higher cap hit, and if Kastelic becomes a fixture in the bottom 6, then this trade could end up well in the long run.

That's the Catch-22. That's a lot of ifs, and it will all depend on what the Bruins do at the draft, free agency, and the rest of the offseason.
I think its a near impossibility he doesn't bounce back here to some degree. We will see the deal being justified by what his numbers are this year as a backup and forget the negative value he had in trade to the point the Sens should have added more. We will also forget that more than likely any league minimum veteran could come in and post similar stats with a 2 million dollar less cap number

I am hoping this doesn't make the Bruins try to nickel and dime the top guys now. I would rather overpay a big guy by 2 mil per then a backup goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad