Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I haven’t been as stoked as I am for trading for this guy since…. Maybe never?

Have we ever traded for this high a profile goalie, or even player before? I mean dude is a Vezina goalie!

Should make a difference :)
...since Hasek maybe. It wasnt a trade but still worthy of being "stoked". That team was destined for the cup before he got injured. The Pizza line with the Dominator was amazing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm personally torn on extension talks. I wonder if they should wait until mid-season to consider those talks.

I think we've seen enough happen in the last 5 years to understand many goalies are a product of their system. When your system sucks, goalies look awful.

Committing big money and term to a goalie who may not be so elite under our defense might just end up being another mistake.

I guess, on the one hand, you can look at it from the perspective of "hey, at least we know in front of a good D-core he's lights out".
The Korpisalo debacle was very predictable. At best it was a hope and a prayer based off an outlier season preceded by 2 very poor seasons and many others littered in there. Murray a bit less so, but still the signs and trends were there. Beyond that, they've mostly brought in backup caliber guys that were relied on to be more than a backup.

I hope we don't steer clear because of the previous regime's mistakes with goaltending. Ullmark is the first guy brought in with the proper, mostly unblemished track record since basically ever. Sign him up I say.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sens had Hasek, one of the best ever, and had Andy for decade, but then some questions for sure.
Hopefully he signs on.
Ya Hasek is the major outlier, but that was such a small blip and so long ago I didn't really mean to be going back that far. And Anderson had only just proven starter ability the year prior to being acquired, so while he worked out, I don't think his resume at the time compares to Ullmark's.

Some people call Ottawa a goalie graveyard, but I don't think that's really true since most of what was brought in was backup at best quality or was damaged goods. Anderson is the main exception. Lehner and Bishop had some success too. Beyond that, I don't think it's a surprise many of the long list of names brought in didn't work out. Guys like Condon, Korpisalo, Murray, Nilsson, Forsberg, etc. They're capable of playing well in spurts, or maybe as a 20-25 game backup mostly.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Boston buys out Korpisalo do we save any money?
They save 25% amortization over double the term.
To late for this year, so 11 million owed over 3 years.
2.75 million over 6 years, is an average of 0.46 million per year cap hit over the 6 years.
Some years could be different savings as salary isn’t the same every year, but that’s the average

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
They save 25% amortization over double the term.
To late for this year, so 11 million owed over 3 years.
2.75 million over 6 years, is an average of 0.46 million per year cap hit over the 6 years.
Some years could be different savings as salary isn’t the same every year, but that’s the average
That’s good hopefully they buy him out. I doubt it Though it reminds me of when we were hoping for the Leafs to buy out Murray and they just LTIR’d him instead.

Reactions: bert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Well he utilized karlsson really well but he did have an extreeeemely strict system in place. Also he had Craig Anderson for the other 35 minutes karlsson wasn’t on the ice.
Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson were the Ottawa Senators from 2011-2017 (except for that one year of the Hamburglar). Those two were the only reason we ever won and made the playoffs.

Boucher it seemed knew how to put in a system that helped those two, but I also think Boucher had the strongest roster during that era, by quite a bit. The 2016-17 Sens were the only Senators Karlsson team I would say was actually a good team, and not just Karlsson and Andy dragging a bunch of mediocre players around.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
That’s good hopefully they buy him out. I doubt it Though it reminds me of when we were hoping for the Leafs to buy out Murray and they just LTIR’d him instead.
Boston's goalie coach, Bob Essensa, is one of the best goalie coaches around so if anyone can fix him, he can. I remember Ullmark saying in one of his interviews that Bob really helped improve his game after he signed up with the Bruins. Maybe Ullmark will share some of that wisdom with Forsberg and Sogaard.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson were the Ottawa Senators from 2011-2017 (except for that one year of the Hamburglar). Those two were the only reason we ever won and made the playoffs.

Boucher it seemed knew how to put in a system that helped those two, but I also think Boucher had the strongest roster during that era, by quite a bit. The 2016-17 Sens were the only Senators Karlsson team I would say was actually a good team, and not just Karlsson and Andy dragging a bunch of mediocre players around.
The teams Karlsson was a part of were never really very good. I definitely agree with that sentiment.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Give him a chance. Family guys generally love it here, but it does take time for the family to settle in. Plus, both sides have to see if he's a fit on the ice, as well.

Definitely a prove it year for everyone in the organization.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Give him a chance. Family guys generally love it here, but it does take time for the family to settle in. Plus, both sides have to see if he's a fit on the ice, as well.

Definitely a prove it year for everyone in the organization.

This is true on so many different levels. If we have a damn fine year and take a big step forward, like say we crush all expectations and take 3rd place in the division - this franchise will have officially put the league on notice that the Senators are back. And 7 years of failure and a completely overhauled front office and ownership group will be all but forgotten.

But if its yet another embarrassing year where everyone is sulking/checked out by the new year, then we have much bigger problems than our goalie likely walking in the offseason. Having him locked up into his late 30's for big money might not even be the right move for the franchise at that point. Who knows.

But most of all it would mean that our core truly is a dud, and the rebuild has failed a la Edmonton or Buffalo 2010's style - who both had to hit the reset button once during an already extended and painfully long rebuild. That would hurt so, so bad. People will need to be moved, and low-key tanking will be back on the menu for at least another season or two before anyone who's paying attention has any expectations again.

Having said that. I honestly have no doubts whatsoever that Ulmark and his family are going to love Ottawa and the Senators organization. Melnyk is dead and gone, and he was literally the only thing stopping the Sens from being a premier "best of both worlds" kind of destination in the NHL.

Point being though is that we couldnt possibly have been an attractive place for players who are seeking a stable, quiet and calm destination (that is still filled with rabid fans on a team that legitimately will do what it takes to win) when our owner was loudly and proudly the opposite of those things. The Sens could be just like Carolina or the San Jose sharks of years past. Or at least the Canadian equivalent of it.....

Last edited:

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
He bought a home in Westboro....looks like he will be settling down here it seems. Look out for him in Westboro folks

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not to rain on the parade, but when you're estimated career earnings are 27M, it isn't a huge deal to buy the ideal house for your family to live in for a year instead of renting, especially if prices are down a bit and it may turn out to be a good short-term investment.

Reactions: Icelevel

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not to rain on the parade, but when you're estimated career earnings are 27M, it isn't a huge deal to buy the ideal house for your family to live in for a year instead of renting, especially if prices are down a bit and it may turn out to be a good short-term investment.
Much easier to rent a house .

Reactions: gab6511

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I hope andlauer is planning right now for our goaltending situation next season.

I'd prefer to avoid going to UFA for a starter. I'd suggest even just re-signing Linus before the season starts. If we hang him out to dry all season, he'll walk.

Regardless of what we do with Ullmark, I'd like to go hunting for a youngish guy on an upswing. Brandon Bussi(BOS) and Ales Stezka(SEA) are both UFA guys next year that could be good targets. I'd be happy to trade for one if we could get an advance agreement to re-sign them in place.

Basically, I want to throw another guy into the mix with possible 1G potential to compete with Mads and Leevi. Run whoever of the three is the farthest along as 1B next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium