Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Quick note of caution, Ullmark is NOT an elite goalie but he is above average. I think he can play 50-55 games and give us .910 which is fantastic but he’s probably only the 4th best starter in the division.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Quick note of caution, Ullmark is NOT an elite goalie but he is above average. I think he can play 50-55 games and give us .910 which is fantastic but he’s probably only the 4th best starter in the division.
If he's better than Murray, Talbot, and Korpisalo, that's a big positive...

Reactions: bert

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I watched a breakdown online on last season. Apparently if the Sens had even .900 goaltending we would have had a good chance to make a low playoff spot.

So .910 should put us into the playoffs next year, fingers crossed.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

What makes a goalie "elite" versus "really good" versus just "above average"?

I wouldn't argue he's the best goalie in the league or anything, but over the past five seasons he's consistently put up very strong numbers (emphasis on *consistently*), he's won a Vezina, and he's been a first-team all star. That's certainly above average, but is that not borderline elite?

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
How did they trade Ullmark for a 25th pick and 2 players who we really don't want or need on our team??

Did Boston not get fleeced?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How did they trade Ullmark for a 25th pick and 2 players who we really don't want or need on our team??

Did Boston not get fleeced?
No, Boston did not get fleeced; they took the highest offer available.

If Ullmark does NOT sign a contract with the Senators for future years, the Senators will have nothing to show for the 25th pick next season and beyond. There is risk attached to this trade that many people are discounting to zero.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If Ullmark does NOT sign a contract with the Senators for future years, the Senators will have nothing to show for the 25th pick next season and beyond. There is risk attached to this trade that many people are discounting to zero.
Getting rid of the 12M owed Korpisalo was worth it. 1 year of Ullmark is gravy.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Aside from getting rid of Korpisalo, just getting the opportunity to see how the team plays in front of an elite goalie is worth so much in itself.

Who is actually worth their pay cheque? We get to find out next season one way or another. No more excuses or what ifs.

If this core group still bleeds goals and makes Ulmark look like total crap - then we dont have to wonder if things could ever be different anymore. So at least we will know next season if we need to blow it up or not. And If they play great and Ulmark still walks, then we know what the team needs to excel one way or another (a baller of a goalie).

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It would be a big relief to hear that Ullmark has signed an extension. To me, that’s the most important thing between now & training camp.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm personally torn on extension talks. I wonder if they should wait until mid-season to consider those talks.

I think we've seen enough happen in the last 5 years to understand many goalies are a product of their system. When your system sucks, goalies look awful.

Committing big money and term to a goalie who may not be so elite under our defense might just end up being another mistake.

I guess, on the one hand, you can look at it from the perspective of "hey, at least we know in front of a good D-core he's lights out".

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It would be a big relief to hear that Ullmark has signed an extension. To me, that’s the most important thing between now & training camp.
I thought they were going to let the Fam get settled in, work to get started and then chat about it? I think it'll happen in....hmmmm....January.

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I will be very nervous if we get to the start of trading camp and we have not signed him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I thought they were going to let the Fam get settled in, work to get started and then chat about it? I think it'll happen in....hmmmm....January.
This is the answer, will be in season, so Linus can evaluate city and team and fit.
That’s what I took from interviews.

Reactions: Loach

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
This is the answer, will be in season, so Linus can evaluate city and team and fit.
That’s what I took from interviews.
This is part of the culture change. These guys better want to win or I'm out. I would trade one of the core to get him to sign.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, that could be and I might have missed some info along the way. Was this said during an interview with Linus?

If he is evaluating the city, the team and his fit on the team, then I don’t think the outcome that he will extend with Ottawa has been determined yet or is 100% guaranteed.

It would be nice to finally get off that goalie carousel that we’ve on for years.

Reactions: Loach

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I'm personally torn on extension talks. I wonder if they should wait until mid-season to consider those talks.

I think we've seen enough happen in the last 5 years to understand many goalies are a product of their system. When your system sucks, goalies look awful.

Committing big money and term to a goalie who may not be so elite under our defense might just end up being another mistake.

I guess, on the one hand, you can look at it from the perspective of "hey, at least we know in front of a good D-core he's lights out".
I'm not hanging my hat on his play in Boston but in Buffalo which is the better comparison. Also, Ullmark himself said he improved when in Boston as they have a really good goalie coach. Unless we're giving up multiple 2 on 1's or slot shots each game, he should be good. Green's philosophy seems to be similar to JM (gap control, play away from the puck, more north/south play, minimizing low percentage offence, i.e., putting puck in safe area) so it should be a better setup for the goalie to have success. Also, if the goalie stops more goals, then the forwards don't have to score as many to win the game as playing defensive hockey will result in fewer goals scored in most games.

Reactions: bert and bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sounds like an excuse for someone who does not plan to sign here for the long term.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not hanging my hat on his play in Boston but in Buffalo which is the better comparison. Also, Ullmark himself said he improved when in Boston as they have a really good goalie coach. Unless we're giving up multiple 2 on 1's or slot shots each game, he should be good. Green's philosophy seems to be similar to JM (gap control, play away from the puck, more north/south play, minimizing low percentage offence, i.e., putting puck in safe area) so it should be a better setup for the goalie to have success. Also, if the goalie stops more goals, then the forwards don't have to score as many to win the game as playing defensive hockey will result in fewer goals scored in most games.
All games start tied at 0-0. If we can play a more defensive-oriented game, our games should have a lower GA/GP and scores will be closer (e.g., 1-2, 2-3, etc.). Hopefully, we can take fewer penalties, score better at ES and take advantage of other teams on the PP.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1722458349791.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad