News Article: Linus Ullmark: "I Was Surprised That They Kept (Ilya) Samsonov In For That Many Games in the playoffs".

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
“I was surprised that they kept [Ilya] Samsonov in for that many games against us in the playoffs,” said Ullmark. “I felt that every time we played the Leafs and he [Joseph Woll] was in net, it felt like it was more of a challenge even though I’m not a player. Just watching him, it looked like he was in so much more control of the situation that was thrown at him.”

“As a goalie and the players as well, they feed off of these things. If they see a guy that may be flopping around a little bit too much or leaving out crazy rebounds, feeling that you always have to struggle with it, then you get a little bit more on edge compared to if you have a goaltender that contains the puck or puts pucks in areas that are not a threat,” Ullmark explained.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
It's the Leafs, the land of mismanagement.

Not a good look for an opposing player to be saying things like this.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That's a f***ed up thing for a Linus to say. Samsonov is looking for a contract right now, Linus is taking bread out of Sammy's mouth.
The constant shots by players against other players is completely lowbrow.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
LOL the one goalie who shouldn’t speak about playoffs is dunking on us and Samsonov

I’d take Samsonov over ullmark, and woll over both.

Ullmark is the only goalie who chokes harder than Andersen
They edited the quote, what he started with was "As an experienced choker"

• Haha
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Toronto has their minds made up about Samsonov.

Other teams have their mind made up about Samsonov.

This quote won't help or hurt him.

He'll get picked up again, but not from TOR.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
“I was surprised that they kept [Ilya] Samsonov in for that many games against us in the playoffs,” said Ullmark. “I felt that every time we played the Leafs and he [Joseph Woll] was in net, it felt like it was more of a challenge even though I’m not a player. Just watching him, it looked like he was in so much more control of the situation that was thrown at him.”

“As a goalie and the players as well, they feed off of these things. If they see a guy that may be flopping around a little bit too much or leaving out crazy rebounds, feeling that you always have to struggle with it, then you get a little bit more on edge compared to if you have a goaltender that contains the puck or puts pucks in areas that are not a threat,” Ullmark explained.

Says the goalie who the Bruins wouldn’t trust in the playoffs after rotating goalies all season.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I mean both goalies were struggling down the stretch in those finals two weeks.
It was even longer for Woll. 3-6, 0.884 SV%, and only two games above 0.902 since the beginning of March.
I would have switched to Woll sooner, but no option was all that good going into the playoffs.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That’s Keefe for you, needs an overwhelming body of evidence (sample size if you will) to accept things that anyone with two eyes can see isn’t working.

Looking forward to hopefully some more sensible coaching and quicker adjustments with Berube.
That's the entire management philosophy of the team, they're so incredibly risk averse that they let things run out for much longer than they should

You saw it in this series with Samsonov, and we're seeing it with how they treat the core 4

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Would have thought there was a code amongst goalies against comments like that, especially after their playoffs are done and Sammy seems like a good kid who is looking for a job.

Nevertheless he's exactly right. I had wanted Tre to move Sammy at the deadline, using his cap space instead of paying for retention on others, so he wouldn't be available to Keefe for game 1. It was close but Woll-Jones was the best bet and we could have collected a 2nd or something.

Reactions: robertmac43

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Would have thought there was a code amongst goalies against comments like that, especially after their playoffs are done and Sammy seems like a good kid who is looking for a job.

Nevertheless he's exactly right. I had wanted Tre to move Sammy at the deadline, using his cap space instead of paying for retention on others, so he wouldn't be available to Keefe for game 1. It was close but Woll-Jones was the best bet and we could have collected a 2nd or something.
Sammy had no value. He was on waivers earlier in the season for free and no one claimed him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I said the very same thing after game 1.

Reactions: TMLegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad