Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
They recalled Sogaard today. I think you have to play it safe and let Ullmark sit another game or two and revisit playing him against Utah. I'd skip the Lightning game this Saturday, being it's an afternoon game and goalies tend to often get injured on those games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They recalled Sogaard today.

office-space-michael.gif

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's not like Sogaard and Gaudette actually went anywhere.

This could mean something or it could mean nothing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
its probably as simple as gaining those days of cap space since its worth 3-4x for the trade deadline
Also for Gaudette, it extends his waiver exemption, he gets 10 games or 30 cumulative days on the roster from the date he cleared.

I'd have liked to see Ostapchuk or Jenik, but I understand they don't like bouncing guys around,

Reactions: TheNewEra

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Also for Gaudette, it extends his waiver exemption, he gets 10 games or 30 cumulative days on the roster from the date he cleared.

I'd have liked to see Ostapchuk or Jenik, but I understand they don't like bouncing guys around,
i didnt know that, thats an interesting loophole

send him down every 9 games or 29 days haha

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It's cumulative, not consecutive, so sending him down on off days can get you a few extra days, but probably pisses off the player who gets a smaller paycheck...

Agreed. In Gaudette’s case, him getting pissed doesn’t mean much to the NHL team, he also is getting $400k+ in Belleville so any days he gets to play in the NHL is bonus.

Want to see the Big O and/or Double J Jenik as they are seemingly better fit for the 4th line although they need to prove they belong. Look forward to them getting a call up soon.

Wrt Linus Ullmark, if he is injured now is the best time for him to heal. Doesn’t sound like he is out long-term, but we do need him sooner rather than later. Forsarghhh it is against the Devils.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
People want us to go out and get another goalie, but there really aren't any substantial options. Even most of the goalies on waivers were reclamation projects, or younger prospects. As much as people wanted Brandon Bussi, at least on paper, he has shown just as much as Sogaard. Sogaard is our Bussi already. (If you are a goaltending scout and have a reason to want him beyond save percentage on HockeyDB, that is fair.)

The one goalie who stood out was Reimer. He was claimed by a team ahead of us in the priority. We don't know if the Sens made a claim. He is still a solid pro goalie, but Buffalo was 3 goalies deep. He might be a reasonable target in a trade, because Anaheim has to trade or waive one of Dostal or Reimer when Gibson returns because teams usually don't roll with 3 goalies. That's not a solution to our backup situation long-term, but maybe it's someone Travis Green could trust to play 20 games.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
A bit concerning that he tweaked something in pre season and is now injured for who knows how long.

Hopefully it's a case where they're making sure he's 100% good. Not 99.9%, but 100%, because they know they'll need to lean on him hard all season, and they don't want a nagging thing all season.

If this was March/April, he'd probably be playing. Or at least I hope.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People want us to go out and get another goalie, but there really aren't any substantial options. Even most of the goalies on waivers were reclamation projects, or younger prospects. As much as people wanted Brandon Bussi, at least on paper, he has shown just as much as Sogaard. Sogaard is our Bussi already. (If you are a goaltending scout and have a reason to want him beyond save percentage on HockeyDB, that is fair.)

The one goalie who stood out was Reimer. He was claimed by a team ahead of us in the priority. We don't know if the Sens made a claim. He is still a solid pro goalie, but Buffalo was 3 goalies deep. He might be a reasonable target in a trade, because Anaheim has to trade or waive one of Dostal or Reimer when Gibson returns because teams usually don't roll with 3 goalies. That's not a solution to our backup situation long-term, but maybe it's someone Travis Green could trust to play 20 games.
I liken Forsberg's performance to Korpisalo's and his last year. If that's what we get, then taking anything off the scrap heap is worth it imo, because it literally can't get worse and can only maybe get better. If we get bottom of the barrel .890 level performance out of Forsberg again, why not sign a guy like Tokarski and fling some other shit at the wall for a bit.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I liken Forsberg's performance to Korpisalo's and his last year. If that's what we get, then taking anything off the scrap heap is worth it imo, because it literally can't get worse and can only maybe get better. If we get bottom of the barrel .890 level performance out of Forsberg again, why not sign a guy like Tokarski and fling some other shit at the wall for a bit.

I don't think Tokarski or most of those available are that much better of an option than Sogaard. We also burn a contract spot via signing a goalie vs trading for one where we can send a contract the other way. It's really hard to find goalies right now. Which is why Reimer possibly being available might be something they should jump on, even if he isn't anywhere close to a perfect solution.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think Tokarski or most of those available are that much better of an option than Sogaard. We also burn a contract spot via signing a goalie vs trading for one where we can send a contract the other way. It's really hard to find goalies right now. Which is why Reimer possibly being available might be something they should jump on, even if he isn't anywhere close to a perfect solution.
I guess I'm just in the camp of if you see nothing but failure in front of you, try something different, even if it's potentially a lateral move, but I see the contract argument does have some legitimacy.

I just can't stand rolling out guys that have let you down over and over already and you know they are going to let you down again. The thought of us coming back this year with Korpisalo/Forsberg was enough for me to assume failure again and not go in to the season with any sort of hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad