Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This f***ing team, man. Anyone ever play gears of war growing up?

Ryan Lindgren is a meat shield. A $4.5m dollar, undersized, crash test dummy ass meat shield.

You gotta respect his heart but at some point dude needs to chip in a point here or there or drop the f***ing mitts. Do something.

Can't fight, can't hit, can't generate offense, average at best defender.

We could do much better for half the cap hit
Then why didnt we? If that was so easy then why couldn't we? Why didnt we find a nice cheap 1 year dman who is better than him? Because it wasn't that easy, and he does more than you think despite his down year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mancini is a right shot D. If he shows he's ready for the NHL the guy he'll replace in the relatively near future would be Trouba though I think Trouba is going to make it until next summer for us anyway.

Emery is another RD. Fortescue an LD.

Replacing Lindgren from within is if someone like Scanlin or Robertson can step up but I'm not sure that either could. Mackey is an LD too.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I would've liked to see Drury get creative here...

Matheson in Montreal I liked as a target. His contract is team friendly (2 years left, 4.875 per) and there was some speculation that he could be moved with Lane Hutson coming into the mix over there. He wouldn't be getting the same PP time he's getting in MTL but he'd likely fill in on the 2nd unit. Would help our D's ability to move the puck.

Provorov in Columbus is another one on a team friendly deal (1 year, 4.73 per). He doesn't have the same shine he had when he looked like a budding star coming into the league, but he's also played on a lot of bad teams. Maybe the right situation puts him back on track.

Drury dropped the ball on the Chychrun trade. That was the deal to make. He was dealt for peanuts. Lindgren has durability issues, Chychurn has durability issues... which one would you rather when they're healthy? Similar money... that one was a bummer. Sucks he wasn't in on it

Aside from that, very slim pickings. The market turned out to be garbage even with the cap rising, what was the alternative? I liked the idea of Skjei this summer, then he went and signed for 7 years at 7 Mil per. He's 30 years old already, no thanks. Zadorov signed for 6 years at 5 Mil per. So I don't have much of an issue with the Lindgren deal. I'm not as down on him as some, I just think we could've made an upgrade there. And based on this team's needs, 5v5 scoring has been a weak spot for years.. adding a defender or 2 that can move the puck and generate some offense should help in that regard. Oh well, it'll all come down to Lindgren's health. He's not a bad player, he's got the shutdown ability, the physicality, somewhat competent enough with the puck... its just all those things come down a notch or 2 with all the wear and tear

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s a superb one liner - but is he though? I’m fine with a heathy critique and measured concern about a repeat year with 23, but I welcome him back.
It's a perfectly healthy critique.

55-23 are a terrible pair at every measurable aspect of hockey and the Rangers have shown no interest in either guy playing with anybody else.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
4.5 seems a bit high?
Well I’m guessing they’ll be able to recoup some of that back if they harvest his blood and sell it every time he goes to the locker room for repairs.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Least painful is the way to put it so it’s fine.

Granted I’m going to go back on that exactly 10 seconds into the season when Adam Fox has to play for both defensemen on his pairing while Lindgren bleeds out in the corner boards like an extra on saving private ryan.
Saving Private Ryan (Lindgren)

Feauturing Adam Fox as Tom Hanks

Reactions: Bob Richards

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
We really going into 24-25 with Reilly Smith and otherwise the same team. Love this sport.
Unironically, though.

Smith is an upgrade on Wheeler, and hopefully there are no historic slumps or catastrophic injuries up front. As long as we don't require 1.5 Bonino's in the lineup at any point this coming season, we're pretty okay. Add a Rookie and/or Rempe.

Same Goaltending. Cool.

This is fine for Lindy, but we ultimately need a better player next to Fox. If Miller's not the guy, then we have one season to find that guy and can even use Lindy in a trade to offset cap.

Key stays with Schneider, cool.

Trouba is just future cap space at this point, and he can be traded at the deadline, next off season, bought out, or whatever. He's a pretty damn good 3rd pair guy for this season, money aside.

I like Zac in for Gus.

I'm okay with running it back, but shifting Trouba down, trying different looks next to Fox, and integrating youth up front.

Love this sport!

Reactions: bhamill

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe the way to look at this -- and also maybe it was enticing for both sides -- he's getting the money up front. If he blows this coming season, surely we'll complain that we gave him four and a half to suck, but at least it won't drag any longer. He could also have a rebound year playing for a contract here or elsewhere, and then the four and a half might turn to be the right value.
Yeah. This is the kiss goodbye. Overpay him as thanks and then he moves on. Hopefully making a ton of money, happily with another organization. Win-win.

Reactions: will1066

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lindgren is actively preventing us from winning the Cup

FWIW singling out someone as actively preventing us from winning the Cup is a little over the top. I would say Ryan's a player we should want to upgrade on if the chance came along to improve our chances of winning a cup. Not the only player that falls into that category though. Mind you I'd like a bigger, stronger and more physical player to partner with Fox than Lindgren if only to take some of the target off his back. It seems to me he gets abused by opponents more than necessary.

I think part of the issue of our winning the Cup is we need more from our best players besides Igor. We got enough for two rounds but not one of Mika, Panarin, Fox and Kreider played well enough against Florida.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
FWIW singling out someone as actively preventing us from winning the Cup is a little over the top. I would say Ryan's a player we should want to upgrade on if the chance came along to improve our chances of winning a cup. Not the only player that falls into that category though. Mind you I'd like a bigger, stronger and more physical player to partner with Fox than Lindgren if only to take some of the target off his back. It seems to me he gets abused by opponents more than necessary.

I think part of the issue of our winning the Cup is we need more from our best players besides Igor. We got enough for two rounds but not one of Mika, Panarin, Fox and Kreider played well enough against Florida.
It's more important to not have bad players playing big minutes than it is to have good players. Bad players make everyone else worse. Lindgren creates 20 minutes per game where we're shorthanded in the offensive zone, and that's a generous summation of his game, not even getting into the fact that he also sucked defensively this past year.

We've been through this before. Girardi was on the ice for just about every back-breaking goal against for an entire era and all we did was sit back and say "Nash should have scored more goals." McDonagh-Girardi put up a 42% xGF in the 2014 playoffs WHEN THE TEAM WAS ACTUALLY GOOD! Nash should have scored more goals.

The best part is that you mentioned Fox. How exactly do you expect Fox to play well when he has to play two positions?

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
8yup1l.jpg

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Imagine a world where The Rockers never broke up but everything else stayed the same.

Shawn is heel WWF champion coming out to the ring in leather and assless chaps, telling a shocked crowd to "suck it."

Meanwhile, there's babyface Marty Jannetty, dancing at ringside in rainbow zebra prints and tassells, costing Shawn the title.

That's the Lindgren-Fox pairing.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Then why didnt we? If that was so easy then why couldn't we? Why didnt we find a nice cheap 1 year dman who is better than him? Because it wasn't that easy, and he does more than you think despite his down year.

I mean it would have been easy to just resign Gustafsson and play him with Fox like we did when Lindgren was hurt. The Gus/Fox pair was head and shoulders better than the Fox/Lindgren pair was (or has been for a long time) and Gus would have cost us half what Lindgren costs and the team wouldn't feel obligated to keep Gus on the 1st pair if he doesn't perform well. Worst case he goes back to being a cheap bottom pair option, he played well with both Schneider and Trouba on the 3rd pair.

That was about as easy a move we could have made and we didn't make it which tells you the team wasn't really interested in doing much beyond hoping Lindgren bounces back to 20-21 form which seems very reasonable as long as you don't think about too much.

Reactions: ArPanet and Peltz

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I mean it would have been easy to just resign Gustafsson and play him with Fox like we did when Lindgren was hurt. The Gus/Fox pair was head and shoulders better than the Fox/Lindgren pair was (or has been for a long time) and Gus would have cost us half what Lindgren costs and the team wouldn't feel obligated to keep Gus on the 1st pair if he doesn't perform well. Worst case he goes back to being a cheap bottom pair option, he played well with both Schneider and Trouba on the 3rd pair.

That was about as easy a move we could have made and we didn't make it which tells you the team wasn't really interested in doing much beyond hoping Lindgren bounces back to 20-21 form which seems very reasonable as long as you don't think about too much.
Gus was absolutely horrible outside the 3 weeks fox was hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad