Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He'd definitely get claimed. Like you said it's only 1 year and 1 million. Plenty of teams have 1 million capspace.

If we're going to waive him, it's best to do it early in the season ala Markstrom style when other teams are still figuring out their rosters. If we do it in October, I am pretty certain someone will take a flyer on him.

As for Pearson and Toffoli, LA needed wingers that year. Don't forget, they had Richards as their 4th line center.

Why would anyone claim him?

Again, look around the league at the players getting waived right now. None are getting claimed, including at least one FAR better prospect yesterday.

Right now teams have tunnel vision for their own guys. Everyone clears waivers in September. And Vey has hardly done anything that would justify being claimed - anyone that takes him has *terrible* pro scouting.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Again, look around the league at the players getting waived right now. None are getting claimed, including at least one FAR better prospect yesterday.

Right now teams have tunnel vision for their own guys. Everyone clears waivers in September. And Vey has hardly done anything that would justify being claimed - anyone that takes him has *terrible* pro scouting.

Maybe the Canucks would claim him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There have been a slew of better players on two-way deals waived this week with nobody getting claimed.

He'd clear no problem. Unfortunately.

Yes. He's 24 and is losing the battle for a spot to guys much younger than him. This isn't a case of "well these kids aren't better now but in a year or two they will be so let's look at them". He is flat out losing the spot to better players who are 4 or 5 years younger.

Or at least he should be cut. I don't think I'm over reacting by thinking he should be on waivers today. He has shown nothing this camp and pre-season. He ended the last season falling so far on the depth chart he was being scratched. He should be cut. Even if you don't go with Gaunce and/or McCann you simply can not go forward with Vey and he should be cut. Vey is not the answer to any lineup question besides "who's playing for Utica tonight?"

It's looking like the Lack vs Miller thing to me....no matter which way you slice it Vey should be waived (i.e. miller moved). Nothing else makes sense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes. He's 24 and is losing the battle for a spot to guys much younger than him. This isn't a case of "well these kids aren't better now but in a year or two they will be so let's look at them". He is flat out losing the spot to better players.

Or at least he should be. I don't think I'm over reacting by thinking he should be on waivers today. He has shown nothing this cap and pre-season. He ended the last season falling so far on the depth chart he was being scratched. He should be cut. Even if you don't go with Gaunce and/or McCann you simply can not go forward with Vey and he should be cut.

It's looking like the Lack vs Miller thing to me....no matter which way you slice it Vey should be waived. Nothing else makes sense.

Yup.

Right now we should be auditioning Gaunce at center for a game or two to see how he can go with Dorsett/Prust.

If that doesn't work, see what's available on the waiver wire.

Vey should be done.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The funny thing is, since Benning felt the need to reward his last season with a 30% pay increase, he will cost the Canucks 100k even if he's sent to AHL.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

That's what I said. Waive him ala Markstrom style like last September.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's what I said. Waive him ala Markstrom style like last September.

He'll clear in September or October.

But really, why would we want him to clear? He's a bad player on a bad one-way contract. It would be great if someone took him. And nice for him if someone else gave him a chance.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Such a poor player and a waste of asset. Time to waive him and send him down to the Comets.
So much for being a real smart player eh.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
As for Pearson and Toffoli, LA needed wingers that year. Don't forget, they had Richards as their 4th line center.

Vey is better suited to play wing anyway. When I saw McCann on Sutter's wing to start the game and Vey between Sven and Vrbata my honest to god first thought was why don't they have Vey on the wing. He obviously does not have the right game to play center at the NHL level.

In some ways, and it pains me to say this, Vey may be the recipient of the same treatment Kassian got from this management and coaching staff. So commited to how they think a player should play or be deployed without really evaluating if that is the right move for the player. Bang that square peg into a round hole then jettison them when they don't fit.

Based on his AHL production, Vey obviously has offensive talent. Scrubs for the most part do not score at a PPG pace in the AHL. I would at least be agreeable to see him play wing in one of the last preseason games before waiving him. Maybe on a line with Sutter and Burrows.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Deserves to be waived at this point. Don't see any improvement for someone who said he's had the best offseason training program of his career

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
He'll clear in September or October.

But really, why would we want him to clear? He's a bad player on a bad one-way contract. It would be great if someone took him. And nice for him if someone else gave him a chance.

At least that way we'll be able to give Utica their 1C. :sarcasm:

But yeah, that raise was pretty dumb.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Put him on the first line with Shinkaruk and Grenier and let him set them up for big years offensively. Vey may suck at the NHL level but he's a PPG player in the AHL.

This is most sensible post yet.....he'd be a legitimate first-line centre in the AHL, something the Comets desperately need....and if either McCann or even Cracknell can't cut in the NHL after nine games, you can always recall him....if Jimbo hadn't coughed up a second-rounder for him, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
If they are going to make the decision to keep Vey, I really really hope they try to find out a way to shelter him and Baertschi and put them in situations to succeed offensively.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Vey Vrbata
Kenins Horvat Hansen
Higgins Sutter Dorsett
/Prust

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If they are going to make the decision to keep Vey, I really really hope they try to find out a way to shelter him and Baertschi and put them in situations to succeed offensively.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Vey Vrbata
Kenins Horvat Hansen
Higgins Sutter Dorsett
/Kenins, Prust

That lineup is bad for everyone except Linden Vey and maybe Dorsett.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
That lineup is bad for everyone except Linden Vey and maybe Dorsett.

The assumption I am running with is that the distribution of ice-time between lines 2-3-4 will be fairly even, so putting Vey on that "2nd line" wouldn't necessarily be a huge boost in total minutes. Hell, that line could even get the fewest minutes and you could just double shift Vrbata.

I just think, if Vey is guaranteed a spot on this team, they may as well stick him with offensive players like Baertschi/Vrbata and try to squeeze as much offense out of those players as possible (instead of sticking a guy like Vey w/ Prust/Dorsett, and sticking Sutter w/ guys like Baertschi/Vrbata)

May as well try and play the centers to their strengths.

*Im not necessarily advocating Vey as our 2nd line center. But if Vey is going to be on this team, I am so opposed to him centering Prust and Dorsett.

Last edited:

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
The Benning theory, pay him more and he will somehow play better.

Forget the "he's playing on the 3rd line, so he's a 3rd line centre" argument, now it's the "he's getting paid like a 3rd liner, so he's a 3rd liner" argument.

Pay all players like 1st liners and we'll have the best team in the league! :yo: :laugh:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Richardson earns less than Prust and Dorsett. His cap hit is only a million over Vey. He would have been easy to fit in if they wanted him, they prioritised Vey and Prust. #eyefortalent

Which just makes the Kassian trade even more terrible. How sad.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If Vey has to be in the team I would rather him play 6-8 minutes a night with Dorsett and Prust and give the better linemates and minutes to Horvat.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
CQHks38U8AAFBLl.png:large

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Send vey down, clears then utica gets a 1c. If he doesnt then oh well. 1 lost 2nd rounder... Mccann and or cracknell are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad