Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Vey doesn't have to be a grinder. He just needs to be quick to the loose pucks

Vey's season will come down to 'battles'. If he A) Becomes better at protecting/gaining the puck or B) Better uses positioning along the wall, he will have gained the trust he needs from the coach. If not, it will be a long season for him.

Points will be a secondary concern to that necessary development.

Linden vey is a player we can afford to develop as were not competing for anything

That's not what the brass is saying...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ha... read this thread.. read people's thoughts or Dorsett and the read their thoughts on Prust...

I thought I was overshooting it and people would be like "you Benning cheerleader! There's no way that trash could have that type of season! '

So ~20 points each.

If we hadn't spent significant assets on creating our fourth line I would find it acceptable. Unfortunately we are paying Prust and Dorsett like third line players. We also gave up a 2nd, 3rd and Kassian to get this fourth line so expectations should be high.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So ~20 points each.

If we hadn't spent significant assets on creating our fourth line I would find it acceptable. Unfortunately we are paying Prust and Dorsett like third line players. We also gave up a 2nd, 3rd and Kassian to get this fourth line so expectations should be high.

So your measure of this 4th line would be primarily pts?

Lay it out...
Dorsett - $2.65 mil. 25 pts, 17 fights, +4 last yr... what's your high expectation for him?
Vey.. 25 pts in his 1st yr... Prust?

As I previously suggested ... Vey with 30, Dorsett with 20-25, Prust with 15-22..while playing Even hockey would be awesome for me.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Lay it out...
Dorsett - $2.65 mil. 25 pts, 17 fights, +4 last yr... what's your high expectation for him?

As I previously suggested ... Vey with 30, Dorsett with 20-25, Prust with 15-22..while playing Even hockey would be awesome for me.

For me, Prust providing 15-22 points while being even against soft competition and getting in some fights makes the acquisition a complete failure. We should not be giving up young players and draft picks for this player, not to mention paying him like a Higgins/Hansen.

That year for Dorsett is fine for a fourth liner, it's actually quite decent. The issue is that it's a bar that's relatively easy to achieve for most other fourth liners and he is being paid a premium. Since his linemates are getting worse offensively, especially going from Hansen to Prust, I think he'll have a hard time replicating his numbers from last year. He's my favourite player on this fourth line and definitely the closest to being fair value for his contract and acquisition cost.

Vey at 30 points next year would not be good at all. This is a player that needs to be pushing for a top 6 role and should be forcing his way up the lineup. It depends on how the season goes of course but if he isn't a consistent threat offensively by the end of next year then next season will be another failure for Vey. He needs to seperste himself from the class of Schroeder, Dalpe etc and he has yet to do so. Anyone of those guys (and there are ton around the league) can produce 25-30 points in a sheltered role if given sufficient PP time. If Vey doesn't get the PP time I very much doubt he hits 30 points.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Lay it out...

Ignoring the aquisition cost and the monetary cost (those are not good value for money at $2.5m+) those would be excellent ES 4th line numbers from 10 min per game guys.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ignoring the aquisition cost and the monetary cost (those are not good value for money at $2.5m+) those would be excellent ES 4th line numbers from 10 min per game guys.

Agreed. I would be very happy with a fourth line that produced that much, but I also would never give up good assets or pay good money to a fourth liner.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

How many 10 minute per night forwards topped 25-30 points last season?

30 points is creeping into 2nd line production territory in today's NHL...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How many 10 minute per night forwards topped 25-30 points last season?

30 points is creeping into 2nd line production territory in today's NHL...

Vey's PPG in around and better than the likes of Shaw, King, D. brown, Jaskin, Sekac, Connolly, Reider, Laich, Jurco, Smith-Pelly, Letestu, Stoll...

Dorsett with 25pts while being a plus player, with 17 fights was a damn good yr for a role player.

We'll see what they bring to the table this yr... Sooooooo close now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Vey's PPG in around and better than the likes of Shaw, King, D. brown, Jaskin, Sekac, Connolly, Reider, Laich, Jurco, Smith-Pelly, Letestu, Stoll...

Dorsett with 25pts while being a plus player, with 17 fights was a damn good yr for a role player.

We'll see what they bring to the table this yr... Sooooooo close now.

Unfortunately a lot of those points came early in the year, and he couldn't get out of the pressbox for the playoffs....seemed to fade as the late regular season and playoff intensity ramped up.

arsmaster*

Not the biggest fan of this guy, but he's never going to look good between two facepunchers.

Did some nice things last night, skated the puck into the zone and set the team up with possession quite a bit.

Was getting raked in the GDT for some reason. He's not a plumber, expecting it is setting the guy up for failure.

Would have liked to have seen him with Virtanen.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Prust and dorsett are really starting to bother me.

Kenins pedan mccann virtanen

Why did we need to bring in these geriatrics when we had youth to do the same job

Like keep kassian and tell him he can score but he needs to hit more. I cant defend a line of prust vey dorsett its so ****ing dumb

Like gaunce vey virtanen now

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Prust and dorsett are really starting to bother me.

Kenins pedan mccann virtanen

Why did we need to bring in these geriatrics when we had youth to do the same job

Like keep kassian and tell him he can score but he needs to hit more. I cant defend a line of prust vey dorsett its so ****ing dumb

Like gaunce vey virtanen now

Dorsett shouldn't lumped in with Prust.
they played 2 different games last night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dorsett shouldn't lumped in with Prust.
they played 2 different games last night.

Yup, credit where credit is due. Dorsett came out and played hard, led by example, and was one of our best forwards. Prust floated around and did nothing.

Vey was decent last night. But whether he can look decent in preseason/low intensity games has never really been in doubt.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yup, credit where credit is due. Dorsett came out and played hard, led by example, and was one of our best forwards. Prust floated around and did nothing.

Vey was decent last night. But whether he can look decent in preseason/low intensity games has never really been in doubt.

yup.. I predicted Vey would look good preseason..
He's an AHL star player that will thrive vs weakened rosters of preseason.

All these young guys vying for his spot are also playing vs the same caliber opposition and if they can't exceed the ability of Vey in these games, they do not belong on the roster ahead of him.

McCann is the only center with sliver of a chance... but he doesn't have the defensive acumen to be trusted at the NHL yet. We'll see how serious they are about putting him in a position to really test it tho... get him out there vs the top lines and see how he does.

Vey and the 4th line got that test last night by getting played in every single situation vs every line... and they passed the test just fine. A lot of zone time.. a lot of chances... disrupted the D and the transition game nicely.
I'm just imagining how solid a Dorsett-Vey-Kenins line would be... could be one of the best 4ths in the league. I think it's a matter of time before it gets tried out... Will be dependent on how well Prust looks when he ramps up outta his summer slumber.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
big night tonight for vey, and also big night for desjardins to prove he's not going to repeat his mistakes of last season by playing favourites with vey

while i totally disagree on doubling down and giving vey more offensive opportunity (especially since this comes at the expense of giving horvat better linemates), it'll be fascinating to watch whether this is actually a last chance style deployment

the cynic in me is saying that vey will literally have to start scoring goals against to get off this team, but we'll see how it plays out

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
big night tonight for vey, and also big night for desjardins to prove he's not going to repeat his mistakes of last season by playing favourites with vey

while i totally disagree on doubling down and giving vey more offensive opportunity (especially since this comes at the expense of giving horvat better linemates), it'll be fascinating to watch whether this is actually a last chance style deployment

the cynic in me is saying that vey will literally have to start scoring goals against to get off this team, but we'll see how it plays out

I think bolded point #2 negates the possibility of bolded point #1.

SaltySnipes*

Would've preferred to kept Richardson over this half pint. Problem was the salary Richie wanted to obtain.

Hell yes. Richardson would have looked great on this team. I would have signed him long term as well.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Would've preferred to kept Richardson over this half pint. Problem was the salary Richie wanted to obtain.

Richardson earns less than Prust and Dorsett. His cap hit is only a million over Vey. He would have been easy to fit in if they wanted him, they prioritised Vey and Prust. #eyefortalent

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looked better alongside "skilled players" tonight, as one might expect...then demoted and disappeared.

I really hoped he'd come back a better player with more physical ability. But it really is just the same old Vey...slightly stronger, but slightly slower - a wash. I still don't have a problem with keeping him around as the spare forward...he's got some versatility and he can play hockey, but his tweener traits are just being further reinforced here. He's at his best with skill players and you can see he has some smarts, but he's not physically gifted enough to actually play with those sort of players in the NHL...and if all he's going to do is hang out with some crash-bang tone-setting 4th line bangers, it still just looks like a real poor fit.

Too bad. His hockey brain isn't that bad...shame about the inability to execute things at this level.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I can't see him actually getting cut before the regular season. It's going to take at least a few weeks of more offensive opportunities for vey to tread water before we see him moved or waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad