News Article: Lightning working on sale for value close to $2 Billion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
With what picks? They have Howard and Gauthier progressing fine; Duke and Goncalves have plenty of potential as well, and Finley, if he can rebound and stay healthy still.has a shot. Crozier has already seen NHL.time, and Schmidt is also doing fine as a prospect. Huuhtanen could end up being another late round steal, and most picks from '21 or '22 and beyond are still too early to tell anyway, especially with Tampa's developmental pace. That's just a small sampling, and who knows what other recent draft picks could still work out.

They didn't really need to draft any top 4 dmen given who they had/have, so the focus wasn't really on drafting anyone like that with any of the few early round picks he's had. He did the right thing by using those early round picks to acquire players to go for championships and improve the team while the window is open, and for the most part, he has been very successful. Because of this strategy, JBB has only drafted 5 players in the 1st or 2nd round in his 6 drafts as GM (one.of which was.tben traded for Coleman).

Sure, the prospect pool is not that deep, but that's what happens when your team promotes it's high quality talent, becomes highly successful, no longer drafts high 1st round picks, and leverages many of the later 1sts to go for the ultimate prize. JBB has made some mistakes, but his level of successful moves and overall success as GM far outweighs them. Considering he was also Yzerman's top assistant and #1 numbers guy, I'd argue he also had a large amount of input when Tampa was actually re-building/building g a championship team as well. He recognized the team needed a re-tool this offseason as well, and he did what he felt was needed to improve them in those areas in order to give them the best chance to win another title. There is little reason to have little to no confidence in his ability to lead the team (as of now) based on the areas you mentioned.
IMG_5289.png

We have had 15 picks from the 2020 and 2021 nhl draft goncalves hasn’t cracked the nhl lineup yet and Finley has looked horrible so far in the minors . In the last 5 years we have had nothing come up and do anything really. Yes we haven’t had first round picks but we haven’t hit on a pick late since cirelli in 2015 and that was like 9 years ago . At least every 2-3 years we should be hitting on a late rounder that’s a stud. Which is probably why JBB let Al Murray go and replaced him our drafting has been poor again. Cal foote in 2017 with the 14th pick was a bust. 2019 Nolan foote was a bust but at least we traded him for Coleman.

It’s definitely clear our scouting department needs to be way better if we want to support our core players going forward

Reactions: T REX

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
View attachment 901679
We have had 15 picks from the 2020 and 2021 nhl draft goncalves hasn’t cracked the nhl lineup yet and Finley has looked horrible so far in the minors . In the last 5 years we have had nothing come up and do anything really. Yes we haven’t had first round picks but we haven’t hit on a pick late since cirelli in 2015 and that was like 9 years ago . At least every 2-3 years we should be hitting on a late rounder that’s a stud. Which is probably why JBB let Al Murray go and replaced him our drafting has been poor again. Cal foote in 2017 with the 14th pick was a bust. 2019 Nolan foote was a bust but at least we traded him for Coleman.

It’s definitely clear our scouting department needs to be way better if we want to support our core players going forward
You do realize that the odds of any 3rd.round pick even making the NHL is 20-25%, let alone being a meaningful contributor, and it gets worse from there. Just because Tampa was very fortunate to hit on several mid to later round picks over a few years doesn't make it the norm. Finley looked bad because of injuries more than anything, and even if he doesn't bounce back, it's not as though he was some blue chip top 10 or 15 pick. There are at least 5 names from the 20 and 21 drafts that could still make it, and maybe 6 depending on Groshev or Finley

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Honestly I think perception would be a lot less critical if we had just one or two guys who looked like for sure difference makers. Geekie should help that image.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yzerman was just LUCKY. But JBB was actually THE GUY behind the GUY according to some but can't seem to draft anyone worth a poop. Weird. So JBB was the brains behind Yzerman but can't draft for poop since Yzerman left.

Tough dichotomy. A real conundrum. Yzerman was lucky and JBB is just unlucky. Weird.

View attachment 901679

Yzerman had a rabbit foot in his pocket.

Reactions: Byrddog and Todd1a

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
JBB no doubt had a lot of input in the draft selections Yzerman made, but in the end, Yzerman was both very fortunate with some mid to.late round picks as well as drafting plenty of duds. Whether JBB amd Yzerman always agreed on the selection is impossible to know, but Yzerman was far from some can't miss on picks come draft day. Again, it's still too early to say whether many of JBB's picks will turn out as productive NHL guys, and given overall % rates if mid to lage round picks vs 1st and 2nd round picks (of which there are four in the system drafted by JBB-Howard, Gauthier, Finley and Goncalves), it's not that surprising that Tampa hasn't had a lot of prospects being impact contributors as of late. They also haven't really needed them until perhaps just recently, and some of these names are on the way over the next 1-3 seaaons.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Anyway, Not expecting the new owner to be Vinik since those are some big shoes to fill. However, as a long as he cares and puts effort into keeping us competitive that'll be enough for me.

You would think someone investing 2B into a hockey team is really into the sport and thus committed to excellence growing our market.
I get the sense that Mr. Vinik would've put a lot of thought into how transitioning would take place. The right person, or group, and their abilities to maintain the bridges already existing (market, fanbase, municipally). Not some half-assed, f***ed up transition like some of us saw with the Davidson Family to Oren Koules and Len f***ing Barrie.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
So... having taken this in over the last few days, admittedly I'd never heard of Doug Ostrover. I've heard of Blackstone, and other similar firms, but never paid attention to Blue Owl. I think this video encapsulates everything. Let's you get a sense of who Mr. Ostrover seems to be like, slightly leans in on where this type of hand-off fits right in their wheelhouse (Vinik), and (can't place everything on first impressions) their apparent work ethic at Blue Owl and how that may transition over to Channelside

Reactions: Night Shift

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Key takeaway from that video is the "91%" comment. They're not into the prototypical PE firm Modus Operandi of the 4-8 years of asset management, then dumping it (aka "Milking the Cow"). "... 91% of our capital is permanent". It's called "Fund-Life" but in their bucket, they pride themselves in being in it for the long haul and made mention to it in that video. Funds with 20+ years of existence. Which means they seemingly did their homework when starting this process.

I'm retiring soon. I've been weaning myself from the industry and all the Street intel over the past few years in preparation of that retirement. I've worked for two corporations that were acquired by Private Equity firms. In our world, PE = Grim Reapers. "Slash N' Cash", downsizing, restructures, etc. These guys give a much different vibe.

Saying all this out loud, now I think both they and Mr. Vinik did their homework. Can't say it with certainty, yet, as in this day and age things aren't always as they seem, but I'm not in the panic camp on this one.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Key takeaway from that video is the "91%" comment. They're not into the prototypical PE firm Modus Operandi of the 4-8 years of asset management, then dumping it (aka "Milking the Cow"). "... 91% of our capital is permanent". It's called "Fund-Life" but in their bucket, they pride themselves in being in it for the long haul and made mention to it in that video. Funds with 20+ years of existence. Which means they seemingly did their homework when starting this process.

I'm retiring soon. I've been weaning myself from the industry and all the Street intel over the past few years in preparation of that retirement. I've worked for two corporations that were acquired by Private Equity firms. In our world, PE = Grim Reapers. "Slash N' Cash", downsizing, restructures, etc. These guys give a much different vibe.

Saying all this out loud, now I think both they and Mr. Vinik did their homework. Can't say it with certainty, yet, as in this day and age things aren't always as they seem, but I'm not in the panic camp on this one.
I'm of the belief that Vinik wouldn't do all that he did just to sell the team to a bunch of assholes who would wreck all the hard work that's been put in. He probably did a lot of homework to vet these guys.

Please buy the Rays too. Pretty please

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Finally, what the Lightning sale means for the Leafs.

this is, however, the best wording I've seen for what we know:
It should be worth noting that no sale has closed yet. But Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported last week citing multiple sources that Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik was looking to expand the current ownership by divesting a portion of the team that would value the Florida franchise at $2 billion.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Finally, what the Lightning sale means for the Leafs.

this is, however, the best wording I've seen for what we know:

What it means for the Leafs?

You know I used to tease Leaf fans over the years (but half serious since i thought he wanted to go back home) about Matthews wanting to sign with Coyotes. It was so funny how mad they get over a Austin to Arizona deals, or "he ain't signing with you he already bought the train ticket to Arizona, he's just waiting for the contract to end" :laugh:

On a scale of 1-10 how mad and worked up will Leafs fans get?

Austin to buy the Leafs and move them to Arizona. He's already bought the rink and sent the equipment to AZ. The man wants to go home. He will resume his career in AZ as Player/Owner. :laugh: this aught to be good.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Weird that JBB has drafted quite a few guys that are still progressing well and could easily make it. Also weird that JBB has two cups leading this team without Yzerman here, strange indeed....

Also Weird that Yzerman hasn’t drafted any impact players outside of the first round in the same time frame on a far worse team either.

Reactions: JTBF81

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
View attachment 901679

How do you score 12 and 13 goals in your first two pro seasons and be "horrible"? Todd, come on.

Also, Al Murray never left? I have no idea where you got that from.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Finley? Got demoted where?! What is going on here?

Hes a 6'6 22 year old D man, give him a minute my brother, hes honestly progressing really nicely. I'm confused where Al Murray is in all of this.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Finley? Got demoted where?! What is going on here?

Hes a 6'6 22 year old D man, give him a minute my brother, hes honestly progressing really nicely. I'm confused where Al Murray is in all of this.
If Jack Finley were a center, would that change any part of your opinion?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I came across this on Twitter earlier today. The deal itself is essentially irrelevant for us, but the formatting is what I've been talking about.

A controlling stake of less than 50%, and a deal that values the team for a certain amount. $250 million isn't what Iger paid.

With more private equity entering leagues like the NFL, we'll probably see more teams ownership groups structured like this. Primary owners who own a relatively small portion of the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad