Has Florida got good return on that Bobrovsky investment or it's still not enough?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
57CDE7E1-D38A-49C0-B476-D61338016469.jpeg

Reactions: Coffees

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I’d be interested in knowing what their revenue from sponsorships and how many season tickets they are selling now. I suspect it’s a healthy increase and Bobrovsky has a lot to do with it although it is a team game.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Winning a Cup is nice but imagine what you could do with more cap space. You could sign a player good enough to help you win a Cup, and you know how much we’ve wanted one of those.
Exactly! It’s crazy yo me how some fans don’t get this. Winning the Cupnis everything

Reactions: behemolari

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Cups are built on risk-taking. You gotta go all-in.

My team is currently not only unwilling to risk trading futures to improve in the present, but also refuse to execute a scorched earth rebuild and what that will do to profits.
The result? They'll just continue treading water for a few more years, making very little progress towards championships. Just existing.

I'd prefer 32nd place finishes and significant prospect pool growth over this misery.
Imagine doing a rebuild under such inept management that 7 years later, still not in the playoffs, no prospects in the pipeline, run-down barn, skeleton staff, poor roster construction, trading picks for unsuccessful acquisitions? Thank God the Dorion/Melnyk era is over but it has been painful as a Sens fan and they're still not out of the woods.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
This, but it also shouldn’t be used as a basis for future goalie contracts or anything. That contract looked bad up until two strong playoff runs (50-60 games max?) that luckily coincided with a really strong roster. Goalies tend to fall off/get hurt more these days, it seems, and Bob struggled for a few seasons after that big deal. It’s a coin flip as to whether a guy can right the ship, and then whether he can produce in the playoffs (see: Freddie Andersen). Bob did both those things because he’s awesome, but I wouldn’t bank on that with 90% of goalies.

Glad he did it- I remember people saying he got lazy after the deal, and I hate that narrative. Nah, pressure just be like that, performance comes and goes, dude took some shit and came back stronger. Worth it.
Definitely clutch when the pressure's on. I agree with an earlier post that Bob stole the 1st game of the SCF series and played lights out in Game 7 when it was all on the line.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Bob struggled when FL was running and gunning and too often leaving him on an island. His play greatly improved when FL started focusing more on playing solid defense in front of him. Funny how the two are so intertwined....
Goalie stats can be so misleading, like the goalie is playing in a vacuum and his team’s play in front of him has no impact on his performance.
As a Sens fan where we are known as a goalie graveyard, I can attest to the accuracy of your statement. Hopefully the roster/coaching changes implemented during the off-season will right that ship otherwise the likelihood of Ullmark extending with us will be slim.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I can't even believe this is being asked....Bob just won a cup....he is on a still elite team that will likely challenge again this season.....yeah....I think they got a pretty decent return for Bob.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Imagine doing a rebuild under such inept management that 7 years later, still not in the playoffs, no prospects in the pipeline, run-down barn, skeleton staff, poor roster construction, trading picks for unsuccessful acquisitions? Thank God the Dorion/Melnyk era is over but it has been painful as a Sens fan and they're still not out of the woods.
Yep. Not only did the Sens not go all-in, they were also dumb as rocks along the way.
Not saying all scorched earth rebuilds are gonna succeed, but some teams are simply not gonna win a Cup without one.
My Pens are one such team. They should be spending these years boosting the prospect pool, not doing a half-ass retirement tour for the core, where they'll finish like 8th-11th, and max out at a 1st round exit.
What a silly waste of time.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Looked like a bad investment at one time. A Cup in back to back Cup finals is obviously worth it. Multiple great additions to the team, but with a lesser goalie I doubt they would have gotten to the finals either of the past two seasons.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He filled his part of the deal.

It's a happy ending for a seemingly humble guy. Obviously he didn't seem to humble when he took the 10M+ deal, but things change. Likely HOF entry as a bonus.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For sure, 2 Stanley Cup finals and 1 Cup

Also just few years left on the contract so at the end of it there’s no risk of it becoming an anchor

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
At the time it was risky. Tallon wanted to shore up the #1 Goaltender spot and paid Bob handsomely to come here, and tried to lure Artemi Panarin as well.
Florida freed up a lot of cap space at the TDL to have a chance at both.

Florida's defense was shaky at the time, and then when coach Q was here Bob never felt comfortable with him, and I'm sure mentally he wasn't 100% focused due to Q and living up to the deal.

With Maurice, a better blueline and a better defensive structure Bob played up to his deal, and then some.
Bob stood on his head a lot, so it wasn't like he was carried by the skaters/defensemen, but it was a good organizational effort that allowed Bob to play his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad