GDT: Lightning @ Devils - 6:45 PM - MSG

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Big Bad Bastian has a 68% xG, 65% SCF, and 90% HDCF so far this year in 50 minutes away from the anchor. Also up 2-1 on goals. With the anchor in 36 minutes together they have have a 31% xG, 29% SCF, and 28% HDCF. They're outscored 3-0. The anchor away from Nate in 51 minutes has a 35% xG, 43% SCF, and 48% HDCF. He's been outscored 5-2. Nate's been back to being a good 4th liner after finally getting healthy. We'll see how this holds up but I'm happy to see him playing well again.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don’t think he’ll be out for long but I also don’t have a problem with him not playing every game for a bit. If he’s healthy scratched for months ya but I think that’s super unlikely.

The whole young guys have to be playing every single game is a load of bs IMO. They go their whole life playing way less games than this and in my experience and opinion young players improve far more at practice and working on specific skills.

That’s why I supported the Holtz treatment for the most part. He needed to improve his skating and if he could do so by spending months working on it with a devils skating coach that would be more beneficial long run.
Nemec is a little different. Other than keeping his intensity up and playing hard every shift I think the biggest thing for him is adjusting to the NHL level and pace and just gaining experience. He can’t sit out for months on end but I think he can gain that experience and maybe even develop better if he is missing some games here and there. I think sending him to the AHL at this point might be counterproductive to that. It’s not a great development league and isn’t gonna teach him what he can and can’t do and get away with at the NHL level.

Apologize for the long rambling post. I have strong opinions about this topic.

Tell me you missed the point without telling me you missed the point

idk if you agree and / or saw my post about it, but watching Nemec right now, it just looks to me like he has Ruff defense ingrained into his brain still. It's hard for a new player to just erase what they learned in their first nhl season

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
im not even on the doom train. im not making assumptions about anything going forward - it could click and they can win 10 straight and i wouldn’t be surprised because they’re that talented.

but i can comment on what im watching at this moment and its a bad hockey team that can only execute their game plan against worse teams.

Bingo, I don't think they're bad as a totality. I think they're very bad at the moment due to whatever it is, but it's also foolish to 100% trust a core that has 1 playoff appearance for the most part in a very good year versus other bad years being littered in there.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
For the talk earlier about how bringing back Tatar meant nothing I sure don't see how that was the case tonight. He had an assist, helped create the Nate goal, didn't get scored on, 73% xG, and 63% CF. Sure seemed like Tatar was one of the few positives from tonight.
As one of the biggest Tatar detractors, I agree.

My problem with Tatar has nothing to do with him. I just think we needed a different style of player.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
im not even on the doom train. im not making assumptions about anything going forward - it could click and they can win 10 straight and i wouldn’t be surprised because they’re that talented.

but i can comment on what im watching at this moment and its a bad hockey team that can only execute their game plan against worse teams.
Ok this is a fair point. I just see it a different way where I wanna see a long stretch of games before I say much. I also like to treat every season as a fresh start, even if the majority of the core is the same from year to year.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
idk if you agree and / or saw my post about it, but watching Nemec right now, it just looks to me like he has Ruff defense ingrained into his brain still. It's hard for a new player to just erase what they learned in their first nhl season

He wasn't really all that great defensively to begin with either. He's a guy that has been labeled as a "two way" D because of his lack of standout offensive tools and instead creating offensive more through his brain. People assume those smarts translate defensively too and they never have yet.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t honestly know but one things he’s not doing as much which Ruff had most of our dmen doing is constantly just blindly rimmimg pucks. And thank god for that it was painful to watch him, Dougie, and Siegenthaler do that every night.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
For the talk earlier about how bringing back Tatar meant nothing I sure don't see how that was the case tonight. He had an assist, helped create the Nate goal, didn't get scored on, 73% xG, and 63% CF. Sure seemed like Tatar was one of the few positives from tonight.
He was ok tonight

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals 1, 3, 4 and 5 on Allen definitely weren't bad. No chance on any of them at all. Even goal 8 I don't fault him on. That was just bad luck. Unless you fault the goalie for leaving the net to try and play the puck, and think he should have just stayed in his net, I don't see how you can blame him for that one.

But goal 2, which started the onslaught and was the first of the 5 goals in a row was not a good one.

Goal 6 was really bad. As much as it's fun to blame Steve Austin for that one, which the Tampa broadcast was kind of doing, that's a BAD goal.

Goal 7 was also not good after we somehow brought it to within 2. He couldn't have looked any smaller on that goal. It also looked like it may have went either under or just at his glove, then up and over him.

Again, this is why Allen has never been able to cut it as a starter in the NHL, at least not a good one. And now he's getting up into his mid 30s AND is coached by Rogalski, which is the biggest problem of all.

Reactions: Dialamo

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Bingo, I don't think they're bad as a totality. I think they're very bad at the moment due to whatever it is, but it's also foolish to 100% trust a core that has 1 playoff appearance for the most part in a very good year versus other bad years being littered in there.
I mean, the reality is if they fail this season yet again, that's it. There's no more they're young excuse. No more coaching excuse. No more injury excuse. There has to be a shakeup of the core if they can't even make the playoffs when they are in their prime and have a decent surrounding cast.

I mean, we're not even talking about contending. Just making the frigging playoffs.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny thing is Allen is getting the next home start lmao
The two games he played before tonight were maybe the two best defensive games we've played in a very long time. I can't think of many we played that good last year (that's probably because there weren't any) and I can't even think of many we played that were that good in 2022-2023, except for maybe one against the Sharks (lol) early in the season? And the Avs game early that season?

He's fine to play once a week, but I'm hoping him playing twice in a week is not a regular occurrence this year.

Honestly, Allen has had A LOT of games like this throughout his career. Him having sub-.800% games is not an extremely rare occurrence from him. He even had two of them here last April. That was as many as Vitek had here last year, and he played 19 more games for us last season.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean, the reality is if they fail this season yet again, that's it. There's no more they're young excuse. No more coaching excuse. No more injury excuse. There has to be a shakeup of the core if they can't even make the playoffs when they are in their prime and have a decent surrounding cast.

I mean, we're not even talking about contending. Just making the frigging playoffs.

Yes, that's my point. What benefit of the doubt does this team deserve? I get the coaching staff stuff and all that but this team shouldn't be losing the Capitals in 2024 or look more dismal than teams on the B2B for the majority of the game.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goal 6 tonight was really the Blackwood ''Screened on questionable point shot'' special. Blackwood gave up two goals like that the other night, so it didn't only happen to him here.

All the Tampa clowns were talking about was Palat screening him lol.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Watching 2007 first round highlights against Tampa.

Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Brylin

What a fun top-9 to cheer for. Responsible, intelligent, structured hockey. How things change.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
kiEhNxU.gif

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
turned the game off pretty early. don't regret it.

Weird night in hockey, look at the OOT scoreboard. Not even close to the most embarrassing loss tonight (looking at you Toronto).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad