Lighting reaction to hit on Hedman completely embarrassing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I was watching this on nhl network and it was pathetic by the lightning. They were so mad at Davies and the hit was clean. Geekie kucherov even cirelli it was pathetic all around by Tampa bay. Cooper should be embarrassed.

614 CBJ

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I really think even Hedman was embarrassed.

I give him credit he just got up and was ready to get back on defense, he knew it was a great hit.

Reactions: guyzeur

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
What I find more embarrassing is that despite seeing "I need to see another angle" or "this angle makes it look different" thousands of times, that fans still can't grasp players that on the ice see things at different angles than us, or don't even see it at all and just hear the reaction and see their teammate going down or already on the ice.

Was is clean? Yep. Was it an overreaction based on what we see? Yep. But we don't know how it looked from Kucherov's angle. So no, not embarassing.

614 CBJ

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
What I find more embarrassing is that despite seeing "I need to see another angle" or "this angle makes it look different" thousands of times, that fans still can't grasp players that on the ice see things at different angles than us, or don't even see it at all and just hear the reaction and see their teammate going down or already on the ice.

Was is clean? Yep. Was it an overreaction based on what we see? Yep. But we don't know how it looked from Kucherov's angle. So no, not embarassing.

So every time a team mate gets hit someone has to go after the other player,

just in case it was a dirty hit?

are you f***ing serious right now?

100% embarrassing, pathetic, especially from a player with a history of dirty hits.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I think completely embarrassing is a fine description, and that's without seeing what nonsense went on between the hit at the blueline, and Geekie throwing haymakers at a guy who is barely defending himself way down in the corner. Embarrassing for the league too.

Hedman was back on his feet in about 0.5 seconds, Kucherov and Geekie and whoever else was involved are idiots.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Are we all tired of watching star players get rocked/injured in the preseason yet? I don't understand playing your best players in meaningless games when half the players are borderline NHL'ers looking to make their mark with physical play.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
So every time a team mate gets hit someone has to go after the other player,

just in case it was a dirty hit?

are you f***ing serious right now?

100% embarrassing, pathetic, especially from a player with a history of dirty hits.
Maybe you should read a post, and take it for what it says without trying to guess what the person means. Guys have been going after players for clean hits for as long as I've been watching the game (40+ years), acting like it's some new phenomena and whining about is it far more embarrassing than someone thinking they're protecting a teammate.

But clearly you're either intentionally being obtuse, or too daft to grasp that different people have different perspectives.

Although that weak takedown attempt by Kucherov was pretty pathetic.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think this pre-season established that you don't want your star players getting hits by scrubs period. Clean or not clean, intentional or not. You risk your stars missing dozens of games for absolutely nothing whatsoever.

“Tampa being bitches?? I’m shocked!!!!” - Nobody
Hall of famers don't want their seasons ruined by a guy with 1 game of pro experience. Truly shocking.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think it's funny that Davies is all of 5'9" and he was throwing a hit on a bloke that was almost a foot taller than he is and about 30lbs heavier. He sees a chance to throw a clean hit and he does and gets assaulted all over the ice by two clowns.

Those should be suspensions to Geekie and Kucherov.

Reactions: byrath

614 CBJ

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I think this pre-season established that you don't want your star players getting hits by scrubs period. Clean or not clean, intentional or not. You risk your stars missing dozens of games for absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Hall of famers don't want their seasons ruined by a guy with 1 game of pro experience. Truly shocking.
Your points have some merit.

But you also have a 20 yo player trying to break into the league.

If he doesn't do it in preseason, when does he prove to the coaching staff what he's willing to do?

Reactions: byrath

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's kinda shocking how many people in this thread seemingly can't seem to grasp that pre-season is absolutely meaningless and All-Stars in the league don't want to be on the receiving end of dangerous hits, clean or not. And their teammates aren't just going to go "wow, nice clean hit kid" and pat you on the back if you do something like this.

Hell, we've seen numerous fights break out in practices/scrimmages over things like this between the guys who were supposed to be teammates. Nobody is sending the tape to the video room to see if it was clean or not.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
What's supposed to be embarassing about it?
Does Kucherov have the advantage of multiple camera angles, reviews and slo-mo? No, he doesn't. All he has is what he witnessed. If that hit looked dirty from his point of view, or he thinks he needs to respond to show that the team won't be intimidated, then that is all the justification that is necessary for him to react. Going after another player is a spur of the moment decision based on emotions, not the result of a careful decision-making process which included pondering all the evidence to come up with an appropriate reaction (which is why all that wining by some people about the instigator is so asinine, it has never stopped anyone from jumping an opponent, players don't think in that moment, they react on instinct).

Now, Geekie's action were completely unnecessary, at that point Kucherov had already given an answer, and Geekie must have known about what actually happened, but that's why he got the appropriate punishment for it. Certainly excessive, but then again, it is equally excessive to make an opening post like that, which is just as over the top as Geekie's reaction was. It's preseason, and a rookie tried to impress his teammates by showing he would stick up for them. Hardly something to lose much thought over.

Players jumping an opponent after a clean hit is not new, it has happened for decades. For one, because players don't get to see the whole picture, and a hit may looked dirty from their point of view. Secondly, because no one wants to look weak. Someone lays a big hit on your star, you show a reaction, whether it was clean or not. You do not want to let the other team think they can target your best players with big hits. It is obviously okay by the rules, but this isn't about the rules, it is about showing the other team that they will get a response if they do try things like that. It is an intimidation tactic. It is unlikely to prevent anything, but teams will feel better if they respond, it helps with team-bonding, it shows they will stick up for each other and have each others back.

Hockey is played by humans, not by robots. The rules define what is legal and what is not. And while this hit was certainly legal, it doesn't mean that showing a reaction to it is outside the norm. Teams have reacted to clean hits in the past, and they will continue to react to clean hits in the future, because there is more at stake than judging whether something was fine according to the rules or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021

Something doesn’t cease to be embarrassing just because the perpetrator felt it was justified at the time due to their own poor vantage point. Take the L and move on.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If he doesn't do it in preseason, when does he prove to the coaching staff what he's willing to do?
In the AHL where he is getting sent to inevitably, regardless of this hit. And yes, sure that is the reason why he did and that is exactly the reason why Bolts reacted. You don't want 20 guys going after your stars in a pre-season game just because they feel they can prove something.

You can argue the real problem is the NHL pre-season concept itself and that's why it's being talked about in NHL-NHLPA meetings. Because situations like this, and numerous others, are a problem. And it's sad state of affairs if your teammates just shrug shoulders and go "welp, I thought that was clean".

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It's kinda shocking how many people in this thread seemingly can't seem to grasp that pre-season is absolutely meaningless and All-Stars in the league don't want to be on the receiving end of dangerous hits, clean or not. And their teammates aren't just going to go "wow, nice clean hit kid" and pat you on the back if you do something like this.

Hell, we've seen numerous fights break out in practices/scrimmages over things like this between the guys who were supposed to be teammates. Nobody is sending the tape to the video room to see if it was clean or not.
It's an open ice hit. That's a hockey play all day. A kid trying to make his way into this league should be making that play every game. That's what the "meaningless" preseason is for. You get a look at guys who are not on your team yet and see if you might want to put them on your team.

I could see why you don't do it in a practice on your own guys, but if you're letting up on your biggest rival because it's only preseason, then I don't want you on my team for the regular season.

I would absolutely tell this kid that was a great hit and tell Hedman to keep his head up. He's not a rookie and he should know better, even if it is preseason.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
In the AHL where he is getting sent to inevitably, regardless of this hit. And yes, sure that is the reason why he did and that is exactly the reason why Bolts reacted. You don't want 20 guys going after your stars in a pre-season game just because they feel they can prove something.

You can argue the real problem is the NHL pre-season concept itself and that's why it's being talked about in NHL-NHLPA meetings. Because situations like this, and numerous others, are a problem. And it's sad state of affairs if your teammates just shrug shoulders and go "welp, I thought that was clean".
He's a young player that plays a hard game and is trying to show the coaching staff that he can be an important player for the Panthers as a disrupting force and more, so he sees a player walking in prime for a clean hit and he does it. Showing that he's not afraid to throw a clean hit when he sees one and Davies is definitely a lad that can fight.

He would destroy Kucherov in a proper fight rather than getting jumped. Even against Geekie he wasn't trying to fight. He understood the Bolts were mad but even after the hit and seeing Hedman was fine and likely the replay, they still chose to be idiots.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Before Hedman he also threw a hit on Kucherov, even twice if i'm not mistaken. Just some AHL thug trying to show off but since he can't score or make an assist the only thing left to do is attack the star players. Of course Tampa doesn't like that because it could end in injury before the season even starts. Anyway, he was literally the only guy on the ice doing it but he stopped after Geekie beat the crap out of him.
What exactly is the problem, I don't quite understand?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad