Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
What if the future top 4 was:

Pysyk - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian

3 years from now, if all develop as we think they should, that's a great top 4.

That's a best case scenario that I could get behind. I do think we are getting a defensive prospect with top pairing potential in the 2016 draft as well.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
That is absolutely yet to be determined.

Microfracture surgery is nothing certain.....and most who've had it don't come back to anywhere near where they were.

It's killed the career of a number of NBA players, and there's zero history with NHL players.

I'm not counting on him this season, if ever.

Does anybody know if the bolded is actually true?

While it may not have been reported, considering how long it's been around I find it difficult to believe that Gorges is the FIRST NHL PLAYER EVER to have microfracture surgery.

Hopefully he can come back, he should be fine in a bottom 4 D role through the end of the contract. Too many over the last few painful years complain of players performance (Weber falls into this) without considering they were often playing 1 or 2 slots above where they should be on a proper team.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I looked before for hockey microfractures and didn't find any. But, this is the league of lower body injuries... *sigh*.

Microfracture surgery is usually career killer in all sports, not just basketball. As I've said, expectations for Gorges should be really low. And he stunk last year already.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What if the future top 4 was:

Pysyk - Ristolainen
McCabe - Bogosian

3 years from now, if all develop as we think they should, that's a great top 4.
If they all hit their ceilings. 29 other teams can pretty much say the same thing.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You realize he played 22 minutes a night on the cup winning team, right?

But a cup winning, shot blocker, with role versatility and a LH shot... is certainly nothing to stick our nose up at.

My only issue with Oduya is how much he has left in the tank and whether he will find the right chemistry with one of our righties.

That was the most obvious concern to have - and I'm a little relieved that Murray didn't end up with a 34-year old commitment.

With that door closed, TM will trade for a LHD

Alright so Murray said he's also discussed trades with some other teams on defensemen.

Who do we think might be some realistic targets that he might have been looking at?

Obviously when I say realistic, there has to be some reasoning as to why the trade partner would want to move said defenseman.

Thoughts?

Time to dangle Foligno or Larsson for a LHD. Preferably Foligno IMO he's quite overrated.

Bryan Murray is still looking to add a forward albeit a top 6 - but I have to think Tim has some interest/familiarity in Wiercioch (LHD, 25 yrs old, top 4 ability and 6'-5"). Foligno alone won't do it - and I wouldn't forfeit Larsson - but a package of Foligno and maybe a prospect or pick for Wiercioch might be discussion-worthy between uncle and nephew.

Beyond that, Kindl, Gardiner, Quincey....

So now there's only one, Ehrhoff.

Hey Christian, This is Tim. Uhhh. How's.....stuff?

Ehrhoff for 1 or 2 years makes a lot of sense.
Minute-eating puck-moving left side player. I know he wanted out, but this is a completely different situation

:shakehead

Anybody who thinks that Murray would consider bringing Ehrhoff back, must be out of their mind.

I understand the appeal and desire of wanting a guy with that skill-set on the team, but how can you forget the comments that Murray had regarding Ehrhoff during the process of buying him out?

I'll go on a limb and say that there is NO WAY that Murray even considers extending an offer Christian's way.

Amen - Murray was pretty adamant several times in saying he doesn't want players who don't want to be Buffalo Sabres. Even though the circumstances were different when Ehrhoff was bought out, he quit on the team and didn't want to be there. Now the Sabres are better and Ehrhoff is looking for a job - I don't see Murray even taking a phone call from Ehrhoff or his agent, much less initiating one.

As I said a week ago, I'll start worrying when we're two weeks from the season and we still haven't addressed this issue. I'm going to let it run its course before insisting everyone else start panicking.

I'll only start worrying if training camp ends and we realize that: 1) McCabe isn't ready; 2) neither Pysyk nor Ristolainen are comfortable playing the left side.

In case anyone cares, Visnovsky is on the bottom right. Underrated.

Table scraps....

I don't think we need to sign someone for the sake of signing someone...

I think we are fine using this season to determine if one of our top 3 righties can transition to the left side.

I think we are fine using this season to determine if Gorges has any use going forward

I think we are fine using this season to determine if Weber's chemistry with Risto is legit..

Feel the same way on all of these points...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm not real comfortable with anyone on the roster as a top LD. Murray apparently isn't happy with it either.

You need a #1 and a #2, then fill in the rest. Our problem is no #1.

We hope Risto is a #1, Bogo can be a #2. These players should make their partners better.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You need a #1 and a #2, then fill in the rest. Our problem is no #1.

We hope Risto is a #1, Bogo can be a #2. These players should make their partners better.

No, I'm not convinced of this theory. They need better partners than the 6 and 7th quality players that they will get paired with, no matter what.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
No, I'm not convinced of this theory. They need better partners than the 6 and 7th quality players that they will get paired with, no matter what.

Its not all about this year. We dont even have a #1 yet. They arent winning this year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Weber WITH Sekera
GF 2.94
GA 1.16

Weber WITHOUT Sekera
GF 1.54
GA 2.64

Colaicovo WITH Petriangelo
GF 2.12
GA 1.58

Colaicovo WITHOUT Petriangelo
GF 2.10
GA 2.23

Gorges WITH Subban
GF 2.34
GA 1.83

Gorges WITHOUT Subban
GF 2.06
GA 2.15

Not that any form of evidence or analysis would "convince" you of anything... very good defensemen make thier partners betters... this is not a theory, its a fact

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Weber WITH Sekera
GF 2.94
GA 1.16

Weber WITHOUT Sekera
GF 1.54
GA 2.64

Colaicovo WITH Petriangelo
GF 2.12
GA 1.58

Colaicovo WITHOUT Petriangelo
GF 2.10
GA 2.23

Gorges WITH Subban
GF 2.34
GA 1.83

Gorges WITHOUT Subban
GF 2.06
GA 2.15

Not that any form of evidence or analysis would "convince" you of anything... very good defensemen make thier partners betters... this is not a theory, its a fact
Ive wondered about Weber - Bogo. Makes me think of McKee-Warrener. Maybe Im crazy.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Can we get the Nashville version of Franson, the one that looked like a future stud paired with Hamhuis?

Was just going to ask you. How do Fransons advanced stats look? When I watched him a few times he looked great, even on Toronto. He was a great skater who could make a great first pass and played well on the point. I know he's not the best defensively.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Seems like everyone's written off Ruhwedel. He could be serviceable. He looked decent 2 years ago. I think one of Roo, Colo or Sanguinetti will exceed expectations at camp and stick. However, I think there's a strong possibility that Gorges is done or close to it.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Well, at least he's under 30 years old, has Zadorov's size and some offensive ability. Given that he's a RH shot, I would think that Murray expects either Pysyk or Ristolainen to shift to the LH side:

Pysyk - Ristolainen
Weber - Bogosian
Gorges - Franson
Colaiacovo

Franson also seems to be an option for the PP because of his shot - maybe he's the 2nd unit pointman with Risto on the 1st unit.

Scouting Report

Assets: Displays excellent offensive instincts. Has a laser shot from the point and is adept at running the power play. Moves the puck well. Has excellent size for the defense position.

Flaws: Needs to continue working on his defensive-zone coverage and overall consistency. Can at times look sluggish as a skater. Must also use his massive frame more to his advantage.

Career Potential: Inconsistent offensive defenseman with size.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?5199

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like everyone's written off Ruhwedel. He could be serviceable. He looked decent 2 years ago. I think one of Roo, Colo or Sanguinetti will exceed expectations at camp and stick. However, I think there's a strong possibility that Gorges is done or close to it.

Ruhwedel just doesn't have the size to be a top 4 NHL defenseman - I think he'll always be a depth guy for whatever team he plays for in the NHL.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not real comfortable with anyone on the roster as a top LD. Murray apparently isn't happy with it either.

I think it's more a case of Murray wanting to have his bases covered with a sure thing - if one of his existing defensemen prove to be capable in camp of playing the offside, I'm sure he will be happy with it (and we know Bylsma will be).

FWIW, Pysyk was pretty blunt in admitting he was fine and comfortable playing the left side in his HH interview:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/107426876/mark-pysyk-joins-hockey-hotline.htm?pageid=1114813

Mattykerr91

May 4, 2014
Not sure if it was covered or not, but does anyone actually think Oduya left 7.5 million and a extra year on term on the table to sign with a team that didnt make the playoffs last year with huge questions at D and Goal?? I could see it to stay with Chicago but honestly if that 3 year 15 million offer was turned down by him he is an idiot in my opinion, interested to hear other opinions on it......

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not sure if it was covered or not, but does anyone actually think Oduya left 7.5 million and a extra year on term on the table to sign with a team that didnt make the playoffs last year with huge questions at D and Goal?? I could see it to stay with Chicago but honestly if that 3 year 15 million offer was turned down by him he is an idiot in my opinion, interested to hear other opinions on it......

Maybe he is good friends with Sharp and liked the idea of playing with him still.

Maybe he feels Dallas has a much better chance to win in the next few years than the other teams offering contracts.

Maybe he wants to play in a warmer climate.

Maybe all of the above.

Maybe none of the above

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad