OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be honest I only got about 5 episodes in so far. I llike, but I find it quite slow.
Its a slow show, but that's what makes it good imo. They don't skip any details, and it makes character development so much better.
It's what made Breaking Bad so good for me, the slow build up and details made believable how a normal teacher could turn into a drug dealing king pin psychopath.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh, I did not intend to spoil anything, sorry. Just sharing my personal impressions as I'm watching season 2. My "hot takes" if you will.

And, it's possible to be slightly put off by a Monet painting after staring at a Picasso one for a while. Doesn't speak to the latter being disappointing, just that the height of emotions from the first canvas is still fresh in memory. episode one was just so damn good that my body wasn't ready for it. :laugh:

I'm half way through season two and I'm not intending to stop until I see the whole thing. If that's not an indication of me liking this season, I don't know what is.

And, yes, it does pick up eventually.

I didn't say you spoiled anything, only expressing that if I asked you to elaborate, we'd get into spoiler territory.

I'm in the middle of it and enjoying it so far.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Haven’t seen the movie nor read the book. Is the book worth reading? I’m finishing up my current read and wouldn’t mind checking my brain out for my next book.

Speaking of checking brains out, I finally watched the movie version of Baywatch. I actually thought it was ok. I mean, it’s dumb and juvenile, while not having what I would call “movie quality effects and visuals”, but I have certainly seen much worse. It’s not like the original was groundbreaking.

It’s ultimately pointless and a waste of time, but I was mildly entertained. Plenty to, um, look at as well though if you’re hoping for nudity, it’s only male nudity in the movie.

I liked the Meg book very much. It's a short read though and it is very focused about Jonas' plight and the shark(contrary to the Jaws book which spend time talking about Amity and the people of that place). What people are surprised the most about it is that it reads like a movie, it is pretty cinematic. And so it is weird why they didn't just do the book when they made the movie. Also I thought it was a strange choice to make it like a Jurassic World-type family action flick because the main thing about the Meg book and the reason it was worth making into a movie in the first place was that contrary to Jaws is that not only you see the shark a lot but while Jaws was doing "less is more", Meg is insane, the amount of carnage and people getting killed is astounding and shocking. But it's also its appeal. Nobody gets sparred. If Jaws was LOTR, Meg the book is Game of Thrones.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Now you've got me into wanting to read the book. That sounds a whole lot like the first two Jurassic books,

Great. Now you've got me wanting to buy those Jurassic Park books! Strangely I've never read Jurassic Park. And it seems like it is something I would enjoy reading.

By the way the opening of Meg in the book has something about Jurassic Park. I won't say more.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why is everyone taking that comment of mine as a negative one of the show? Isn't it possible for the scale to allow for some wiggle room?

Of the 6 episodes I've watched so far there were a couple that were good. The rest though? Fantastic! Episodes like these are the ones that have you check the time left in each, not because you're bored, but because you realize you don't want it too end so quickly. I keep doing this with Ozark. I've been savoring each and every minute and keep taking breaks to prolong the experience.

Again, very very surprised by s2. Hence the range of emotion I suppose. Heck, I now love Bateman in it. That's how nuts this journey has been so far. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Great. Now you've got me wanting to buy those Jurassic Park books! Strangely I've never read Jurassic Park. And it seems like it is something I would enjoy reading.

By the way the opening of Meg in the book has something about Jurassic Park. I won't say more.

The Jurassic collection is really worth it. Entertaining reads to say the least

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I liked the Meg book very much. It's a short read though and it is very focused about Jonas' plight and the shark(contrary to the Jaws book which spend time talking about Amity and the people of that place). What people are surprised the most about it is that it reads like a movie, it is pretty cinematic. And so it is weird why they didn't just do the book when they made the movie. Also I thought it was a strange choice to make it like a Jurassic World-type family action flick because the main thing about the Meg book and the reason it was worth making into a movie in the first place was that contrary to Jaws is that not only you see the shark a lot but while Jaws was doing "less is more", Meg is insane, the amount of carnage and people getting killed is astounding and shocking. But it's also its appeal. Nobody gets sparred. If Jaws was LOTR, Meg the book is Game of Thrones.

It's a pity Hollywood often makes poor adaptations of great novels. At least they get it right from time to time.

Del Toro was attached to the project years ago and probably quit because the movie went to pre-production hell.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Thanks! Just got it from Indigo for my Kobo. The unknown and the sea always frightened me so I am looking forward to reading it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Keep re-watching the conversation nearly at the end of season two of Ozark held between Wendy & Marty. Boy, is it good!

Wendy:
"We're not alone here...
We have partners who are very grateful for what we've done.
Always better be the person holding the gun than the one running from the gunman."

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Keep re-watching the conversation nearly at the end of season two of Ozark held between Wendy & Marty. Boy, is it good!

Wendy:
"We're not alone here...
We have partners who are very grateful for what we've done.
Always better be the person holding the gun than the one running from the gunman."

She's the Walter to Marty's Skylar

Its BB in reverse

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
After watching a great season of a great show I always experience this "emotional withdrawal" for a period of time where it's difficult to drum up interest for or get into another series.

Does anyone else get that way?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Had a chance to check out the set my friend upgraded to (the one that sold me his older one). Holy crap, I've never seen anything more beautiful in my life. I was shocked at how thin the thing was, also by virtually non-existent bezels and its picture quality. Costs an arm and a leg (something like 8k), but made me feel jealous to be honest.

12381374.jpg

P.S. He got the 75" Samsung Q9FN model.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Strongly disagree. Care to elaborate on your statement as to why you feel s2 isn't as good as s1?

Season 1 had the novelty factor and multiple shocking death scene and tension. None of those elements are really present in the 2nd season. I thought they will had a tough time following the 1st season but they did better than what i was expecting. The 2nd season is not a let down, it's just a bit below than the 1st season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Had a chance to check out the set my friend upgraded to (the one that sold me his older one). Holy crap, I've never seen anything more beautiful in my life. I was shocked at how thin the thing was, also by virtually non-existent bezels and its picture quality. Costs an arm and a leg (something like 8k), but made me feel jealous to be honest.

12381374.jpg

P.S. He got the 75" Samsung Q9FN model.

Nope. Today this is the one to get! (Perhaps not tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad