OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Has anyone anyone seen Mamma Mia 2? Yes it’s not as highbrow as some of your choices, I loved Mamma Mia and am always sceptical of sequels (Deadpool was an anomaly). I love ABBA and don’t care who knows it, does it have Knowing Me Knowing You in it?

Reactions: groovejuice

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Has anyone anyone seen Mamma Mia 2? Yes it’s not as highbrow as some of your choices, I loved Mamma Mia and am always sceptical of sequels (Deadpool was an anomaly). I love ABBA and don’t care who knows it, does it have Knowing Me Knowing You in it?

I've seen the Musical by a local group and another time by the Broadway show. Then I've seen the first movie. I still can't believe they've made a second movie. I might only watch it once it hits TV

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had a chance to check out the set my friend upgraded to (the one that sold me his older one). Holy crap, I've never seen anything more beautiful in my life. I was shocked at how thin the thing was, also by virtually non-existent bezels and its picture quality. Costs an arm and a leg (something like 8k), but made me feel jealous to be honest.

12381374.jpg

P.S. He got the 75" Samsung Q9FN model.

Wait a couple of years when he'll inevitably tire of it and you'll add it to your collection at a discounted price. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Strongly disagree. Care to elaborate on your statement as to why you feel s2 isn't as good as s1?

I'm not done with it but what I've seen so far (I've just started Episode 8), I absolutely love. The tension is not only palpable, but coming at you from so many directions. It's riveting. Now, I hope I'll have the same opinion by the end of it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After watching a great season of a great show I always experience this "emotional withdrawal" for a period of time where it's difficult to drum up interest for or get into another series.

Does anyone else get that way?

All the time. My instinct is to watch it all over again. If it was that good, I'm sure to find a lot of nuances and nuggets that I initially missed. It's as enjoyable a pursuit in my view.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Season 1 had the novelty factor and multiple shocking death scene and tension. None of those elements are really present in the 2nd season. I thought they will had a tough time following the 1st season but they did better than what i was expecting. The 2nd season is not a let down, it's just a bit below than the 1st season.

You're entitled to your opinion, but i'm on the opposite side of the fence. We know characters better now, they're explored in more detail. Hence the impact of their struggle/death is a lot more personal to the viewer IMO.

You have to look no further than the end of s2ep1 to find that "tension and shocking death". There's nothing in s1 that is even comparable to the scene where Ash gets killed IMO.

You didn't find Jacob's death sequence to have tension and terror in it? I find that hard to believe.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm not done with it but what I've seen so far (I've just started Episode 8), I absolutely love. The tension is not only palpable, but coming at you from so many directions. It's riveting. Now, I hope I'll have the same opinion by the end of it.
You will, I promise.

Ozark's second season only has two lesser episodes, relatively speaking. This opinion is no longer that just of me, it's been penetrating the Web since the season release (check Vulture for example).

But that's just a minor gripe, because starting around s2ep4 it's a freaking wild ride all the way to the very end. There's absolutely no denying it. It has so many things going for it that it's even difficult to single them all out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You will, I promise.

Ozark's second season only has two lesser episodes, relatively speaking. This opinion is no longer that just of me, it's been penetrating the Web since the season release (check Vulture for example).

But that's just a minor gripe, because starting around s2ep4 it's a freaking wild ride all the way to the very end. There's absolutely no denying it. It has so many things going for it that it's even difficult to single them all out.

It's a privilege to see you liking a second season of any series. A rare occurrence well worth reading about. :wg:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's a privilege to see you liking a second season of any series. A rare occurrence well worth reading about. :wg:
If I had to take your comment literally then you're right, I can't recall a series where its second season was better than its first. Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Slightly different, but s5 of Homeland destroyed its own four seasons released prior (and all the ones that followed it for that matter) IMO.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I wish I could help. There may be some here who could, but naturally they'd never admit it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I had to take your comment literally then you're right, I can't recall a series where its second season was better than its first. Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Slightly different, but s5 of Homeland destroyed its own four seasons released prior (and all the ones that followed it for that matter) IMO.

Actually, I was only referring to the fact of liking a 2nd season on its own terms, without it necessarily having to be better than the first. That would be quite the narrow standard as it's generally accepted that most sequels are almost always a notch below. I don't tend to delve into them that way -- all I'm looking for is a quality product that stands on its own merits, regardless of how great the preceding season or seasons may have been.

Hence, my complete disgust with how Ray Donovan imploded last season, without taking anything away from how much I enjoyed the prior seasons.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Actually, I was only referring to the fact of liking a 2nd season on its own terms, without it necessarily having to be better than the first. That would be quite the narrow standard as it's generally accepted that most sequels are almost always a notch below. I don't tend to delve into them that way -- all I'm looking for is a quality product that stands on its own merits, regardless of how great the preceding season or seasons may have been.

Hence, my complete disgust with how Ray Donovan imploded last season, without taking anything away from how much I enjoyed the prior seasons.

That's just the thing with series that span over multiple seasons... They wilt down the longer they air and there are very few exceptions to that rule.

Now, mini-series don't have that problem...;)

Reactions: groovejuice

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You will, I promise.

I've enjoyed season 2 for the most part...did some major binge watching. I love how Wendy has become a total badass. One thing I didn't like is the Manson storyline...seems just pointless and for a guy that is very generally cold, his reaction to it all was odd.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You will, I promise.

Good to hear, I am just done episode 3 and I have really enjoyed it so far, Marty and Wendy are quite the team, I like where this is going.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It ended for me after Season 1, couldn't get into it anymore.

I do not feel the same, but I can see how that could happen for others.

First part of s2 was a tough sell to most with it diving deep into Elliot's psyche. It is my favorite part of the entire show, but I know many who couldn't get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad