Pre-Game Talk: Lets Light This Candle. Edmonton v Winnipeg, Wednesday 8 PM.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
These guys don't get it.

Holloway flat out told Andy Strickland the offer was 3.1 over three years. So about a Mil a year over a three year term lol. That was enough to piss him off because it wasn't a serious offer with that term.

Yet the GM's here try to compare it to the Nick Robertson signing which was 900k for ONE year. Laughable.

Then they say, well no way was Holloway worth the offer sheet, failing to use any logic or understanding how they got there.
When you look at the contract Kent Johnson signed the Oilers offer doesn't look that far off. Maybe by 2-300k per year at most.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
The constant 180s people here are doing over these two should be studied in psychology schools.

Broberg went from a guy people would have been happy to get a 2nd for in a throw away deal all the way to some sort of key player on the basis of about 3 good games on the bottom pair in the playoffs.

Holloway is a band aid that played half a season (again), produced all of about Jack shit in the 38 games he did play, and had about 50/50 support at best to be in the opening playoff lineup. Then by virtue of losing him all of a sudden we’re dumb for not voluntarily overpaying him in advance.

Any deal for these two above about $1.5M AAV each would have been met with resounding screams from here, and justifiably so. Only when we lost them was it all of a sudden dumb that we didn’t just voluntarily overpay them before.

Captain hindsight and goal post moving at its absolute worst.

The worst part is that, with regards to the bolded, it would be coming from a lot of the same posters, that just bitch and moan about absolutely anything the team does.

It's a shame we don't live in alternate reality where the Oilers won game 7 and these same posters would whine about something like "that's great and all, but they almost got swept, need to do it better next time"

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
no-question-about-it-ready-to-get-hurt-again.gif

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Did we lowball him?

Nick Robertson who had much better stats last year signed for like 900k.

Having to talk in capitals like that doesn’t help you get your point across by the way, just makes people laugh at you.
The fact your comparing Nick Robertson to a Oiler drafted and developed pick, who played superb in the playoffs, was an absolute horse on the forecheck and gained valuable playoff experience. Also gelling with the guys in the room. He was lowballed by this organization, yet we resign a 40 year old skeleton, then go try to replace Holloway with an enigmatic outcasted Russian from Vancouver of all places, who nearly makes what Holloway was asking for initially is quite funny.

Some Oiler fans just keep running in circles without realizing they are in one.

Let's forget Broberg for a bit, because that's just a shitxx contract. No one matches that,

on Holloway,

All we're saying is if management does stupid shxxx. Call them out on it. Why keep pretending these are solid moves ? It's just shitty asset management. If your going to double down on this, expect people to disagree with you on a hockey forum.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Like any locale it has its pros and cons. Definitely give up many conveniences that come with being close to large urban centers but it’s also a much easier, quieter life. For myself, dealing with a tropical storm once in an awhile is far preferable to dealing with a large and growing population. Being able to split time between two very different places can really make you appreciate both for different reasons.

Natural disasters aside, and I really don’t know you very well but I think you’d probably like living in a place like this. It’s a very calm, low speed way of life, small tight knit communities, and tropical climates tend to have health benefits once you adjust. I’ll be 38 this year and my wife is 34, and we are definitely some of the youngest in our area. Most of our neighbors are in their 50’s+ many of them expats from Canada, US and parts of Europe. Many of them retired or semi retired professionals and most speak about how much their health has improved living in the tropics. The other thing is it’s incredible how many physicians live here, I probably have 50 different types of medical professionals within a square km of my house lol
I can't deal with heat and humidity. With high humidity particular I feel like its harder to breathe. I was made for drier air, less humidity, lower temps and like I say can't stand being surrounded by water for long. If I lived on an island or peninsula surrounded by ocean this would really get to me. Can do it for short while but not for long. I guess everybody is built a little different. Total landlubber here. I don't even like lakes that much.

The other thing is my philosophical bent. Everything I need is right where I am. While I thirst for knowledge and learning about the globe and history I don't need to see every bit of it. If I had to live elsewhere it would definitely be somewhere in Europe. My generational connection I suppose.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
then we get to the Bouchard contract. I truly hope the numbers on the main board are wrong

It's not as tight as people make it out to be. The cap is way below what it should be revenue wise.

After the CBA COVID emergency rules expire (25-26 right in time for McDavid's extension), the cap could explode, it should be $100+ million right now, it's being artifically held down by the COVID rules.

This is why Shesterkin won't sign for cheap (neither did Swayman), they both know the cap is going to be north of $100 million quickly. It should actually be north of $110 million if HRR is split 50-50 the way it hs been for years pre-COVID. The NHL is actually doing really well revenue wise, Utah, more jersey ads, a new Canadian TV deal, are just going to cause more growth.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's not as tight as people make it out to be. The cap is way below what it should be revenue wise.

After the CBA COVID emergency rules expire (25-26 right in time for McDavid's extension), the cap could explode, it should be $100+ million right now, it's being artifically held down by the COVID rules.

This is why Shesterkin won't sign for cheap (neither did Swayman), they both know the cap is going to be north of $100 million quickly. It should actually be north of $110 million if HRR is split 50-50 the way it hs been for years pre-COVID. The NHL is actually doing really well revenue wise, Utah, more jersey ads, a new Canadian TV deal, are just going to cause more growth.

where the cap is and where we think it will be shortly is the big question

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
where the cap is and where we think it will be shortly is the big question

It's actually not that big of a question.

It's going to be like 105 million soon, NHL revenue is 33% higher than 2019 (season pre-COVID), the cap is only like 10% higher.

That's not what the players agreed to way back when the salary cap was implemented, it was supposed to be 50-50 HRR split.

The current rules are only for the NHL's Return to Play from 2020 because of COVID emergency basically.

That ends in 25-26 (and even then the cap is allowed to jump to by 4.5-5 mill under these emergency rules, it will go up way more than that afterwards).

The NHL is doing really, really well as a business. While they're not making quite like NBA or MLB money, they're shocking not as far off as people may think. NHL is at 6.43 billion in revenue and climbing rapidly, NBA is at like 10.93 billion, so not even double, MLB is about 11 billion.

That's not as big of a gap as I think you would expect to see.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's actually not that big of a question.

It's going to be like 105 million soon, NHL revenue is 33% higher than 2019 (season pre-COVID), the cap is only like 10% higher.

That's not what the players agreed to way back when the salary cap was implemented, it was supposed to be 50-50 HRR split.

The current rules are only for the NHL's Return to Play from 2020 because of COVID emergency basically.

That ends in 25-26 (and even then the cap is allowed to jump to by 4.5-5 mill under these emergency rules, it will go up way more than that afterwards).

The NHL is doing really, really well as a business. While they're not making quite like NBA or MLB money, they're shocking not as far off as people may think. NHL is at 6.43 billion in revenue and climbing rapidly, NBA is at like 10.93 billion, so not even double, MLB is about 11 billion.

That's not as big of a gap as I think you would expect to see.

And all players will be asking for more money...the min league contract will also go up and so on and so forth

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And all players will be asking for more money...the min league contract will also go up and so on and so forth

It will probably be like the NBA, a more matured cap league ... top players and young players get bigger money, but there are bargains in the middle as those players get squeezed out.

You saw this already in the NHL this year, guys like Arvidsson and Skinner signed here for probably less than they would have gotten elsewhere.

If McDavid wants to win that bad I think he'll keep it reasonable on his next extension too. He makes a lot more money than other players from endorsements also. 16 mill should still be comfortably more than any other player.

I think the cap will go 92.5+ mill next season (this is stipulated already into the current Return to Play CBA) and then it will rise more than that, probably talking 100 million or so.

You are currently here:

View attachment 913871

I don't really even want a frictionless season ... people who dream of that can also take a look at the 22 Flames and 24 Canucks who both had dream regular seasons where everything went right for them and then what happens? They face some adversity in the playoffs and fold, to us no less.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It will probably be like the NBA, a more matured cap league ... top players and young players get bigger money, but there are bargains in the middle as those players get squeezed out.

You saw this already in the NHL this year, guys like Arvidsson and Skinner signed here for probably less than they would have gotten elsewhere.

If McDavid wants to win that bad I think he'll keep it reasonable on his next extension too. He makes a lot more money than other players from endorsements also. 16 mill should still be comfortably more than any other player.

I think the cap will go 92.5+ mill next season (this is stipulated already into the current Return to Play CBA) and then it will rise more than that, probably talking 100 million or so.

I don't really even want a frictionless season ... people who dream of that can also take a look at the 22 Flames and 24 Canucks who both had dream regular seasons where everything went right for them and then what happens? They face some adversity in the playoffs and fold, to us no less.

...and we lost two YOUNG players to offer sheet cause we could not match it and keep a 20 man roster

yeah no problem at all 40 mill tied up in 3 players?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
...and we lost two YOUNG players to offer sheet cause we could not match it and keep a 20 man roster

yeah no problem at all 40 mill tied up in 3 players?

If the salary cap is going to be like 105-110+ million (which it is going to be based on the NHL's own revenue numbers), there's isn't anything wrong with 40 mill for 3 players.

People just don't understand percentages and math in general, but that's also probably why we have a society that's bombing in math classes and racking up sky high credit card debt. People aren't being taught these concepts in school properly, then they enter the real world and they don't understand anything about investing or budgeting.

You can't get fixated on a number total, you have to look at the percentages.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So it was funny with the Esks not announcing their starter that there is some jabs being thrown how in a meaningless game they won't announce a starter early like they've done before.

Then listening to Knobs yesterday the guy won't even announce who are 6th d-man is. Like really they already know the lineup, but won't let the cat out of the bag on the #6 d-man:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad