Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Whatever the case is yes I'm probably dreaming for 11.4-12.5 million. After the decade of darkness, just want our team to be very good year after year but have a feeling if all these projections for Drai/McD/Bouch come to fruition think our cup window will be smaller as a result. 50% of the cap between 4 players, just not enough pie for everyone else so they will be playing with plugs.

Like it or not Cats are doing well and will continue to be highly competitive. All their guys are 10 million and under, almost all their players contracts end while they are still young enough. Every year they can compete and add depth given the above.

I look at the Leafs with Tavares and AM, two huge contracts in 2018, team has barely won one playoff round.

Looking at the Hawks after Toews and Kane got paid, decent team but no playoff round win and a steady decline since.

Don't think we will be able to afford much depth once McD's contract kicks in. So this leave us next season and the following season to get a cup. After that who knows where the cap will be. But should not be far off from 50% of the cap going to 4 players. Just does not sound like a winning recipe to me. By then lots of players out of their prime with many contracts going into the mid late 30's.
again, teams have won the cup with 4 players eating very close to 50% of their cap.
But
You do bring up a good point
its Nurses contract thats killing us here, its also inflating Bouchards value.

Reactions: Duke74

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Do you seriously think any of the players you mentioned are comparable to Draisaitl?
iu
Without McD, yes. We don't know how well Drai would fare without him but we can look at Hyms for a reasonable sample size. His production increased steadily playing with McD compared to Toronto. McD makes everybody better. It's a fair statement. We have the best PP, who drives it? All those sweet passes and plays by McD has boosted everybody's numbers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Do you seriously think any of the players you mentioned are comparable to Draisaitl?
iu
While Drai is better than those players. 6-7M is a sizable difference. That's JT Miller/Reinart/Thompson and another 1st line player

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Without McD, yes. We don't know how well Drai would fare without him but we can look at Hyms for a reasonable sample size. His production increased steadily playing with McD compared to Toronto. McD makes everybody better. It's a fair statement. We have the best PP, who drives it? All those sweet passes and plays by McD has boosted everybody's numbers.
If you want to know how good Draisaitl is look no further than how he completely transformed his game to play with McDavid. He went form a center whose game was predicated on slowing things down, with a pass first, pass second mentality to a guy who can now also play as a winger with a high-tempo game and a sniper's mentality. That shot from down low that is so deadly on the pp was invented to take advantage of playing with McDavid. I've watched hockey for close to 60 years and in that time I have seen very few players who could basically reinvent themselves to play at such a high level.

The success they have together is not just because of McDavid. To play with him as well as Draisaitl does you have to not only have skill but also think the game at an extraordinary high level. Hyman's game fits McDavid perfectly in the sense that McDavid loves to take advantage of guys who live in the paint. But the interaction between the two is very different than between McDavid and Draisaitl. When Leon plays with McDavid it is a much more equal collaboration.

He has been recognized by his peers as perhaps the best passer in the League. And if you want to know how he is viewed as a goal scorer read John Gibson's assessment.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you want to know how good Draisaitl is look no further than how he completely transformed his game to play with McDavid. He went form a center whose game was predicated on slowing things down, with a pass first, pass second mentality to a guy who can now also play as a winger with a high-tempo game and a sniper's mentality. That shot from down low that is so deadly on the pp was invented to take advantage of playing with McDavid. I've watched hockey for close to 60 years and in that time I have seen very few players who could basically reinvent themselves to play at such a high level.

The success they have together is not just because of McDavid. To play with him as well as Draisaitl does you have to not only have skill but also think the game at an extraordinary high level. Hyman's game fits McDavid perfectly in the sense that McDavid loves to take advantage of guys who live in the paint. But the interaction between the two is very different than between McDavid and Draisaitl. When Leon plays with McDavid it is a much more equal collaboration.

He has been recognized by his peers as perhaps the best passer in the League. And if you want to know how he is viewed as a goal scorer read John Gibson's assessment.

Same can be said about Hyman. He re-invented his game and became a pure goal scorer in a year

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agree... I think Ekholm would certainly be taking an age related pay cut.

Next year is a real crunch, but only if they have the big three under contract. And if that's true, we might go through a year or two where the window hasn't reopened due to cap constraints, similar to Pittsburgh prior to it's more recent cups.

But that's a nice problem to have, since we'll have added 7 years to our window.
I think they may go shorter term with Bouchard to keep his cap hit down a bit. They have deals for Hughes, and Makar as examples. Something like 4 years at $8.5M might work.

Same can be said about Hyman. He re-invented his game and became a pure goal scorer in a year
Hyman did not really reinvent his game. He is basically playing the same style he did in Toronto and since he came to Edmonton. The success is different, but the style is the same.

Draisaitl with McDavid is a completely different style of player than he was when he came to the Oilers.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
again, teams have won the cup with 4 players eating very close to 50% of their cap.
But
You do bring up a good point
its Nurses contract thats killing us here, its also inflating Bouchards value.
If you have this info please share. Kane and Toews won their cups while still on good deals, Doughty (while he was making 7 not 11 mil) with Kopitar. Tampa, top 4 players making 38% of the cap in 2020. Tampa, top 4 players making 43% of the cap in 2021. Vegas 2022 roster top 4 players were making around 41% of the cap. Lastly, Panthers top 4 players making around 44% of the cap.

Next year we will be right where we should be, our top 4 paid players will eat up 42% of the cap.

By the time McD gets his deal, say it's 16, Drai 14, Bouch 10, Nurse 9.25 and the cap is 96 million our 4 players are more than 50% of the cap. To come in at 44% of the cap (the max cap % of the past 4 cup winners) McD would need to be at 12.8, Drai 11.5, Bouch 9, Nurse 9.25. Just playing around with some numbers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think they may go shorter term with Bouchard to keep his cap hit down a bit. They have deals for Hughes, and Makar as examples. Something like 4 years at $8.5M might work.

Hyman did not really reinvent his game. He is basically playing the same style he did in Toronto and since he came to Edmonton. The success is different, but the style is the same.

Draisaitl with McDavid is a completely different style of player than he was when he came to the Oilers.
Hyman was more of a complimentary player in Toronto. In Edmonton especially this year, he look like he can drive his own line. There was times he was scoring on pure will

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hyman was more of a complimentary player in Toronto. In Edmonton especially this year, he look like he can drive his own line. There was times he was scoring on pure will
Stylistically this is exactly how he played in Toronto.

As I said before, Leon went from a playmaker who would slow the game down to a high tempo sniper. Those are two entirely different skill sets.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
History has already proven you wrong with his own achievements and awards. Are you saying Jagr was only as good as he was because of Lemieux? That's a fair comparison, no? What about Malkin only having success because of Crosby? What about Messier and Gretzky? It's a foolish take.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
History has already proven you wrong with his own achievements and awards. Are you saying Jagr was only as good as he was because of Lemieux? That's a fair comparison, no? What about Malkin only having success because of Crosby? What about Messier and Gretzky? It's a foolish take.

It's a dumb narrative that seems to be applied to Draisaitl and the Oilers exclusively.

For whatever reason, those that hate the Oilers (almost everyone) find a weird comfort in dismissing any achievements that the team or players that aren't McDavid have with "pfft they wouldn't be any good without McDavid."

The series against the Flames was the poster boy example of it. As all of McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, Hyman and Bouchard were taking turns bending the Flames over, their coaching staff and team publicly lamented losing the series to "one guy."

I have no idea why or how this gives stupid people comfort, but it does.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If you have this info please share. Kane and Toews won their cups while still on good deals, Doughty (while he was making 7 not 11 mil) with Kopitar. Tampa, top 4 players making 38% of the cap in 2020. Tampa, top 4 players making 43% of the cap in 2021. Vegas 2022 roster top 4 players were making around 41% of the cap. Lastly, Panthers top 4 players making around 44% of the cap.

Next year we will be right where we should be, our top 4 paid players will eat up 42% of the cap.

By the time McD gets his deal, say it's 16, Drai 14, Bouch 10, Nurse 9.25 and the cap is 96 million our 4 players are more than 50% of the cap. To come in at 44% of the cap (the max cap % of the past 4 cup winners) McD would need to be at 12.8, Drai 11.5, Bouch 9, Nurse 9.25. Just playing around with some numbers.
hmmmmmm
ok
but
Next time you ask me to spell out something you are too lazy to look up yourself, I'll have to bill you for my time

Cap = 44 million

Stanley Cup Champions = Ducks

Niedermayer = 6.75M

Pronger = 6.25M

Giguere = 3.99M

Selanne = 3.75M

47.1% of the entire cap

Cap = 50.3 million

Stanley Cup Champions = Wings

Lidstrom = 7.6M

Datsyuk = 6.7M

Rafalski = 6M

Stuart = 3.5M

47.3% of the entire cap

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
hmmmmmm
ok
but
Next time you ask me to spell out something you are too lazy to look up yourself, I'll have to bill you for my time

Cap = 44 million

Stanley Cup Champions = Ducks

Niedermayer = 6.75M

Pronger = 6.25M

Giguere = 3.99M

Selanne = 3.75M

47.1% of the entire cap

Cap = 50.3 million

Stanley Cup Champions = Wings

Lidstrom = 7.6M

Datsyuk = 6.7M

Rafalski = 6M

Stuart = 3.5M

47.3% of the entire cap
What did the Kool-Aid Man ever do to you? :(

• Haha
Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

As I said in a previous post with the cap at $97M, McDavid at $14.2M, Draisaitl at $13.3M, Nurse at $9.25M and Bouchard at $9.5M the Oilers top 4 salaries would be at 47.7% of the cap. In 2015-2016, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel ate up 46.1% of the cap. Add in Horqvist, Hagelin as well as Nuge, and Hyman and the numbers are almost identical.

Could the numbers for the three be a bit higher...Yes, but I doubt by more than $1M. And the Oilers will have the option to go shorter term on Bouchard to bring his number down.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Doubt McD/Drai care about awards anymore. Hall won the MVP also making 6 mil or whatever, now he makes 8, is older and can't seem to stay healthy. I compare Drai on another team to a Forsberg or Thompson. All excellent players. Think Drai's stats are inflated by 20% playing with McD.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wish they would ink the Draisaitl contract so the newcomers go away until it's McDavid's turn to sign a new deal. They'll be concerned even more in a year, specifically if the Oilers win a cup.

Without Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard the Oilers will never win the Stanley Cup. With all three signed long term the Oilers have a shot at a dynasty.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
As I said in a previous post with the cap at $97M, McDavid at $14.2M, Draisaitl at $13.3M, Nurse at $9.25M and Bouchard at $9.5M the Oilers top 4 salaries would be at 47.7% of the cap. In 2015-2016, Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel ate up 46.1% of the cap. Add in Horqvist, Hagelin as well as Nuge, and Hyman and the numbers are almost identical.

Could the numbers for the tree be a bit higher...Yes, but I doubt by more than $1M. And the Oilers will have the option to go shorter term on Bouchard to bring his number down.
Thanks, I forgot. Did the Pens also have bad contracts and buyouts? It's a good thing our 4 guys are at 42% of the cap next year, have to add Brown's 3.25, Neal's 1.9 and Soup's 1.1. That's 6 million bucks right there. When Drai/Bouch kick in we owe 2.2 to JC, when McD's kicks in will be 2.6 million. That's 2.6 less to play with as these big contracts kick in.

You've proven winning a cup at 46% can be done but this is going to on the high end. Just posted the same stats for the 4 most recent cup winners. Ideally this is where you want to be, especially when paying JC not to play here. It all adds up.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Thanks, I forgot. Did the Pens also have bad contracts and buyouts? It's a good thing our 4 guys are at 42% of the cap next year, have to add Brown's 3.25, Neal's 1.9 and Soup's 1.1. That's 6 million bucks right there. When Drai/Bouch kick in we owe 2.2 to JC, when McD's kicks in will be 2.6 million. That's 2.6 less to play with as these big contracts kick in.

You've proven winning a cup at 46% can be done but this is going to on the high end. Just posted the same stats for the 4 most recent cup winners. Ideally this is where you want to be, especially when paying JC not to play here. It all adds up.
You might have to find another team to pretend to cheer for. Poor you.

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He is a 2C on this team. He would be a 1C on other teams. Reinhart just signed his deal, 8.6 mil, already brought him up. Looking at JT Miller at 8 and of course Tage Thompson at 7 million. Forsberg, a dominant player at 8.5. Plenty of comparables. For Drai to be double or close to it, I mean let people have their opinions but 13-14 for Drai is alot of dough.

Here’s a little exercise for you.

Add up their points in the past 5 years including playoffs and then revisit your comparable.

I think you need a serge protector as the powerserge shorted out yer brain.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Here’s a little exercise for you.

Add up their points in the past 5 years including playoffs and then revisit your comparable.

I think you need a serge protector as the powerserge shorted out yer brain.
Not to mention those deals were signed under different (smaller) salary caps and some were younger 2nd contract players

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Who the f*** are you and why should anyone care about the (rubbish) decrees you're making?
Anyone else's ignore list grow by 1 recently? lol

One of the most funniest posts I have ever read.

So there is a reason Leon always get put back with McDavid. He's not even good enough to carry a line.

Great shot, good passer, that's it.

His very average speed goes to slow, real quick, at 30. Plus, he's a baby when things don't go well.

Jagr......hahahahha. too funny, you need a punch
You and powerserge should form your own subforum to share these posts about Drai. Save the rest of us from having to read them. Good lord.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad