Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I have no idea what his "life objectives" are. Maybe its like you say and he is super obsessed with owning a NHL team one day, or some other venture that requires a significant amount of capital, so that $30 M matters a lot. That is 100% fine, but lets not pretend that being obsessed with money doesn't come at the cost of securing legacy around being a winner, because it assuredly does in a hard cap world.

Again, I am just repeating what I would say to my own son as my opinion. If my son came back and said something like "yeah, that is great and all, but I care more about owning 25% of an NHL team than I do about winning a cup", then I would say "great, go after that bag then!".
McDavid getting his market value isn't being "obsessed with money", he would do what anybody in their career would do which is maximizing career earnings. This is his job and, yes, I know there's a difference between McDavid's generational wealth and some regular person but it's the same general principle. McDavid also generates a shit ton more revenue for his business than a regular person does so it's all relative.

Also, the reality is that McDavid taking something like 8 years $15m IS a sizeable discount. He can make up to possibly $20m/yr if he really wanted to be greedy depending on how high the cap rises when his next contract kicks in so any realistic deal he signs is a sizeable discount.
It's up to management to navigate the cap situation, not the players.
You're insinuating that McDavid should take Hyman/RNH money for the next 3 years, that's absurd.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Leon gets McDavid’s old contract and McD signs for 13.5.

Ideally Bouchard gets Nurse’s contract and Nurse gets traded.
That would be a shock but would be huge for their cup chances. That's about $5m/yr less than I think the trio will realistically sign for.

The bolded I'll just let go haha

Reactions: Cloned

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Oilers are on hiatus for the royal wedding. Doubt business has started back up yet.
Yet everyone already been saying contract was signed amd sealed weeks ago 🤷

Every time i get a score notification i get excited followed by immediately disappoint 🤣

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I won't speculate on what Drats is going to get paid, because tbh I don't really care.

If he gets paid 11.5 or 13.5m, I'm just happy he is re signing early and not dragging this on and making it dramatic. It also makes me think McDavid will also be re signing long term.

Reactions: Zerotonine

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
That would be a shock but would be huge for their cup chances. That's about $5m/yr less than I think the trio will realistically sign for.

The bolded I'll just let go haha
But Nurse actually has to get traded if they want to keep Bouchard long term. You cannot have 2 dmen making 20M- especially one who had the least amount of minutes 5 v 5 in critical Oilers games (the playoffs)

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I won't speculate on what Drats is going to get paid, because tbh I don't really care.

If he gets paid 11.5 or 13.5m, I'm just happy he is re signing early and not dragging this on and making it dramatic. It also makes me think McDavid will also be re signing long term.

If reports are to be believed, Drai and Connor's brother were both his 'best men/man' at the wedding. If Drai stays, Connor stays.

Reactions: Oilers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But Nurse actually has to get traded if they want to keep Bouchard long term. You cannot have 2 dmen making 20M- especially one who had the least amount of minutes 5 v 5 in critical Oilers games (the playoffs)
The Oilers can certainly keep both if the cap rises as expected. They are actually in pretty decent shape cap wise once they get over the 2025-26 hurdle.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Another stat I saw is most star players signing their 3rd contracts are taking 15% of the cap which would put Drai at 13.2 million. This is full value. The 14 million is like Matthews taking 15.9 % of the cap aka the highest end.

13.5 is no discount. Does Drai deserve more than McKinnon who just signed last year at 12.6 and is 3 years younger than him? I would argue this is his max value.

Only AM makes over 13, only 2 players make over 12, Mackinnon/MCd, all the others under 11.6 mil. All signed much younger than Drai. All those players are the best on their respective teams, Drai is 2nd best on ours. If Drai was our best player without McD he would be on par with those players making the 10's and 11's. Aho whom is a great player makes under 10 mil and Canes just signed him.

www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/_/sort/average/dir/desc

That's why my 11.4-12.5 isn't out of reach. And it's not really wishful thinking, if Drai's value is 13.2, 12.5 is in essence a small discount. 11.4 put's him in the pack of other stars. Yes the cap went up 4 million going into next season but Drai is 3-4+ years older than the other star players.

AM is 4 years younger and only signed for 4 yrs so his AAV is higher naturally. If AM signed for 7-8 years he would be making a million + less. But he's taking a chance at one more big contract at the age of 31. Drai will be 37-38 when his contract expires. You can see the effects of Tavares still good but declining and he signed his 7yr deal at 27.

Makes no sense to make Drai the highest paid player next year then McD the highest paid the following year. Doubt this has even been done in league history and not a recipe for success. So there is my argument for Drai at between 11-12mil.

Reactions: nally and Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If reports are to be believed, Drai and Connor's brother were both his 'best men/man' at the wedding. If Drai stays, Connor stays.

Not only that but Drai's fiance is also super close to McDavid's now wife. She was one of the maid of honors for Lauren at the wedding, they even take trips together without the guys. So they're basically family at this point.

Reactions: nally and jukon

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Another stat I saw is most star players signing their 3rd contracts are taking 15% of the cap which would put Drai at 13.2 million. This is full value. The 14 million is like Matthews taking 15.9 % of the cap aka the highest end.

13.5 is no discount. Does Drai deserve more than McKinnon who just signed last year at 12.6 and is 3 years younger than him? I would argue this is his max value.

Only AM makes over 13, only 2 players make over 12, Mackinnon/MCd, all the others under 11.6 mil. All signed much younger than Drai. All those players are the best on their respective teams, Drai is 2nd best on ours. If Drai was our best player without McD he would be on par with those players making the 10's and 11's. Aho whom is a great player makes under 10 mil and Canes just signed him.

www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/_/sort/average/dir/desc

That's why my 11.4-12.5 isn't out of reach. And it's not really wishful thinking, if Drai's value is 13.2, 12.5 is in essence a small discount. 11.4 put's him in the pack of other stars. Yes the cap went up 4 million going into next season but Drai is 3-4+ years older than the other star players.

AM is 4 years younger and only signed for 4 yrs so his AAV is higher naturally. If AM signed for 7-8 years he would be making a million + less. But he's taking a chance at one more big contract at the age of 31. Drai will be 37-38 when his contract expires. You can see the effects of Tavares still good but declining and he signed his 7yr deal at 27.

Makes no sense to make Drai the highest paid player next year then McD the highest paid the following year. Doubt this has even been done in league history and not a recipe for success. So there is my argument for Drai at between 11-12mil.

I agree that MacKinnon's deal should be the high bar. Similarly, McKinnon also played on a discount deal for many years prior to signing his retirement deal.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I agree that MacKinnon's deal should be the high bar. Similarly, McKinnon also played on a discount deal for many years prior to signing his retirement deal.
Mack got his deal during the flat cap era tho.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Mack got his deal during the flat cap era tho.

Not far enough in the past for him and his agent to not know what was coming as soon as the second year of his deal. The fast cap escalations starting this season have been telegraphed for years, it's been common knowledge.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
26.2 Undisclosed Terms and Revenues. A Club (directly or indirectly through a "Club Actor," i.e., any owner, shareholder, Club Affiliated Entity, the NHL or third party acting at the behest of a Club) and a Player (directly or indirectly through a "Player Actor," i.e., his Certified Agent or any other individual, any entity, or the NHLPA, acting on behalf of the Player) may not, at any time, enter into undisclosed agreements of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind involving consideration of any kind to be paid, furnished or made available or guaranteed to the Player, or Player Actor, by the Club or Club Actor either prior to, during, or after the term of the Player's SPC.

Very explicitly not allowed.
You have to think that there are handshake deals that occur. I certainly think that Duncan Keith's player development role was certainly predicated on him retiring so the Oilers could save on the cap.

(Did we hear of one thing Keith did in 2022-23 to earn his Player Development role salary? He isn't on the page now. Was he ever? Did they fire him? Did he even run 1 skill session? Maybe he works for the Condors? Not on their site)

So not allowed, but not always pursued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad