Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Ty, just went and checked myself as well. Boo no capfriendly.

10 team lists are developed upon request? Or on signing? My understanding is upon request and can be manipulated in such a way to make trading a player very difficult. At least that is what I've heard.
On request. If management came to Drai and said ok we're exploring a trade, please provide 10 teams you'd be willing to go to.

• Haha
Reactions: Broberg Speed

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ty, just went and checked myself as well. Boo no capfriendly.

10 team lists are developed upon request? Or on signing? My understanding is upon request and can be manipulated in such a way to make trading a player very difficult. At least that is what I've heard.

IIRC, it depends on contract. Some are upon request only, some have contracts stipulated they must provide during xyz window/date etc

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually agree. It's in good part why I think a trade would be less attractive than some think even if he would not re-sign.

It's hard to not see Leon's (hypothetical) departure getting the most value for Edmonton this season as effectively considering him the same as a TDL rental. Our cup chances this year are definitely better with him on the roster.

It's one of those rock and hard place situations. Though I'm still optimistic for him re-signing.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm in tbe small minority but I'd rather risk losing Draisaitl for nothing than trading him for picks and spare parts. I know it's poor asset management but with players this special it's an extension or bust.

Look at what happened to Calgary after Gaudreau/Tkachuk left. I know they regret losing Gaudreau for nothing and tried to salvage Tkachuk in a trade. But at the end lf the day that team was forced to rebuild. It really wouldn't matter if they got picks/prospects back for gaudreau. They would still be headed for a rebuild.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I assume that anyone willing to trade for Drai would be a move that puts them over the top. But you’re right, it could be a lower rung playoff team. But it’ll be atleast a playoff team which means later 1st. But yeh it’s a moot point cause he’s singing here anyways :)

12.5M 12.5M 12.5M 12.5M
He's sure as hell not making less than Matthews, and a 4 year deal makes zero sense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the talk of the big 3 signing for less than market is legit, that means that IMO Drai will come in under $14 million AAV for 8 years. Ideally $13.5 million or less. Time will tell what the final numbers are, but if it's over $14 million then I'm not seeing it. Of the 3, Bouch has yet to get a significant payday so at least IMO he should take the smallest hit.

Reactions: Vagabond

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

For those who don’t have X;

"Some news this afternoon regarding @EdmontonOilers Leon Draisaitl & his contract extension talk. There’s been some talk from local media saying it could be a 4 year deal but after speaking to those close to the Draisaitl camp he’s ONLY interested in signing long term in Edmonton so an 8 year deal is what he’s looking for at this time & it sounds like he will take less $ in a long term deal but only if others are willing to do the same.

Leon Draisaitl loves it in Edmonton & he strongly believes this organization can win multiple @StanleyCup if players take less, some news we heard over the last 72 hours was that Connor, Leon & Evan said if our core players are taking less than we take less.

This is a story to follow as we all know."

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There is no way Katz let's him get away. He'll be an Oiler for as long as Darryl wants him to be, as long as the team is competitive.

Reactions: The Nuge

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hope the new GM hasn't changed his mind on staying.

Gow long we got to wait for this supposedly done deal?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

For those who don’t have X;

"Some news this afternoon regarding @EdmontonOilers Leon Draisaitl & his contract extension talk. There’s been some talk from local media saying it could be a 4 year deal but after speaking to those close to the Draisaitl camp he’s ONLY interested in signing long term in Edmonton so an 8 year deal is what he’s looking for at this time & it sounds like he will take less $ in a long term deal but only if others are willing to do the same.

Leon Draisaitl loves it in Edmonton & he strongly believes this organization can win multiple @StanleyCup if players take less, some news we heard over the last 72 hours was that Connor, Leon & Evan said if our core players are taking less than we take less.

This is a story to follow as we all know."

Would be great to see. And if he does believe in a long run of contention, it will probably be ideal for him to not have to worry about more contract negotiations so soon. Unlike someone like Matthews that is just about the money and individual bragging points, and only cares about achieving absolute peak total earnings. Although, can't really blame Matthews, since winning a cup is not really a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Would be great to see. And is he does believe in a long run of contention, it will probably be ideal for him to not have to worry about more contract negotiations so soon. Unlike someone like Matthews that is just about the money and individual bragging points, and only cares about achieving absolute peak total earnings. Although, can't really blame Matthews, since winning a cup is not really a factor.

Mathew’s is the guy they need to trade. He’s about the individual not the team. That and purses.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Mathew’s is the guy they need to trade. He’s about the individual not the team. That and purses.

auston matthews is about to steal ...

my grandmother would LOVE that purse and jacket combo.....

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the talk of the big 3 signing for less than market is legit, that means that IMO Drai will come in under $14 million AAV for 8 years. Ideally $13.5 million or less. Time will tell what the final numbers are, but if it's over $14 million then I'm not seeing it. Of the 3, Bouch has yet to get a significant payday so at least IMO he should take the smallest hit.

If they want to win a cup, they all need to take a hit. Bouch should take the smallest hit, then Drai, then McDavid. Honestly, McDavid should take a massive hit on a smaller contract window, as I've said numerous times on here. Sign a 3 year deal for like $5-6 M, and then sign your "retirement contract" for 8 years at whatever. McDavid wouldn't even notice the money difference due to his endorsements and previous amount of earnings, and it would cement his legacy as a "win at all costs" guy. What is more important to McDavid another $30 million, or winning cups? The guy is going to retire with something like $250-300 M in career earnings anyhow, and still pull in pretty decent endorsement money in retirement as well. If I was his father, this would be my advice for certain.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm in tbe small minority but I'd rather risk losing Draisaitl for nothing than trading him for picks and spare parts. I know it's poor asset management but with players this special it's an extension or bust.

Look at what happened to Calgary after Gaudreau/Tkachuk left. I know they regret losing Gaudreau for nothing and tried to salvage Tkachuk in a trade. But at the end lf the day that team was forced to rebuild. It really wouldn't matter if they got picks/prospects back for gaudreau. They would still be headed for a rebuild.

I agree.

Let's say we were in the reverse position - great roster, but Leon was available as a rental at the deadline to put us over the top, but we knew he probably wasn't going to re-sign. We would probably be cheerleading getting him at all costs. This would almost be the same thing, except instead of trading away assets we would be foregoing them coming back.

Reactions: barry halls

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bouchard may be smart to go short term. $8M x 3 years. That gets him 2 years past McDavid's new deal and sets him up for a home run deal when the cap could be way up. The risk is injury of course, but if he can build on where he is now and if the tea wins in those years he'd be in an incredible position as a pending UFA.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bouchard may be mart to go short term. $8M x 3 years. That gets him 2 years past McDavid's new deal and sets him up for a home run deal when the cap could be way up. The risk is injury of course, but if he can build on where he is now and if the tea wins in those years he'd be in an incredible position as a pending UFA.
It's smart for both sides to wait until next summer for an extension when it comes to Bouchard. Bouch gets the chance to produce near the top of the league for defensemen again so he can be more solid with his ask, while the Oilers get another year to ensure that last year wasn't a flash in the pan. Regardless of when they sign it, I think you are right that a shorter deal makes sense.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If they want to win a cup, they all need to take a hit. Bouch should take the smallest hit, then Drai, then McDavid. Honestly, McDavid should take a massive hit on a smaller contract window, as I've said numerous times on here. Sign a 3 year deal for like $5-6 M, and then sign your "retirement contract" for 8 years at whatever. McDavid wouldn't even notice the money difference due to his endorsements and previous amount of earnings, and it would cement his legacy as a "win at all costs" guy. What is more important to McDavid another $30 million, or winning cups? The guy is going to retire with something like $250-300 M in career earnings anyhow, and still pull in pretty decent endorsement money in retirement as well. If I was his father, this would be my advice for certain.
You can scream it from the mountains as much as you want. There’s no way McDavid doesn’t sign the biggest contract in NHL history when he does eventually sign his next deal whether that’s in Edmonton or somewhere else.

Players don’t give up the kind of money you’re suggesting he gives up in the prime of their potential for earnings.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
For all intents and purposes, McDavid would essentially be unable to sign that sort of deal. The NHLPA would never allow it.

The repercussions on things such as arbitration and contract negotiations alone would change the landscape of the league and it wouldn't favour the players even a little.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
A 3 year deal for 5-6M? That’s hilarious and it ain’t happening, he’ll get that in one year and rightfully so.

• Haha
Reactions: Oildrum

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You can scream it from the mountains as much as you want. There’s no way McDavid doesn’t sign the biggest contract in NHL history when he does eventually sign his next deal whether that’s in Edmonton or somewhere else.

Players don’t give up the kind of money you’re suggesting he gives up in the prime of their potential for earnings.
What is your idea of the biggest contract in NHL history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad