Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
A longer deal is more of a favor to us. The decline in his play as he ages is more than covered by his decline percentage of the cap. We want 8 years. It isn't some sacrifice on our part. He's the one that might ask for less term

Imo a good standard is 13.25 x 8. The same as Matthews but with more years, which reflects that Matthews is a bit higher profile than him.
That’s fair.

I actually predicted 13.5x8 for Draisaitl a while back so I’ll stick with that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That theory is just not true. The reality is with a fixed pot higher salaries for the stars means less money for the non-stars. There is no way around that.
The middle and low guys won't see increases of the same level, but league minimum will increase. There will always be the veterans who are lucky to be there who make around league minimum.

Warren Foegele's contract suggests to me that increases in the cap will help some lower end guys. He's not a 3.5M player with the cap staying the same.

Ask Broberg how much he's benefitting right now from Nurse's inflated salary
Broberg's a weird one to choose, considering he doesn't even have a contract.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The middle and low guys won't see increases of the same level, but league minimum will increase. There will always be the veterans who are lucky to be there who make around league minimum.

Warren Foegele's contract suggests to me that increases in the cap will help some lower end guys. He's not a 3.5M player with the cap staying the same.

When the cap rises salaries rise. That is how the system works. But McDavid/Draisaitl getting more money does not increase the cap so I am not sure what your trying to say here.

I think that the poster's comment on Broberg is hinting at the following: If Nurse was earning less the Oilers would have more cap space to give to Broberg and he may well be signed for more. Not that Nurse is a $6M player but if he was signed for $6M that Oilers would be able to give both Holloway and Broberg $1.5M multi-year deals and still be able to keep Ceci while being cap compliant. This is precisely the point. One player getting more leaves less for everyone else.

The salary cap has been around for 19 years and despite the argument that the NHLPA would interfere in contract negotiations when stars take less it has never happened. The argument stems from classical actions of unions where one bargaining unit getting more gives leverage to others. But this does not work in a world where the pot of money is definitively fixed by collective bargaining.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When the cap rises salaries rise. That is how the system works. But McDavid getting more money does not increase the cap so I am not sure what your trying to say here.

I think that the poster's comment on Broberg is hinting at the following: If Nurse was earning less the Oilers would have more cap space to give to Broberg and he may well be signed for more. Not that Nurse is a $6M player but if he was signed for $6M that Oilers would be able to give both Holloway and Broberg $1.5M multi-year deals and still be able to keep Ceci while being cap compliant. This is precisely the point. One player getting more leaves less for everyone else.

The salary cap has been around for 19 years and despite the argument that the NHLPA would interfere in contract negotiations when stars take less it has never happened. The argument stems from classical actions of unions where one bargaining unit getting more gives leverage to others. But this does not work in a world where the pot of money is definitively fixed by collective bargaining.
I want to say that I've heard of the NHLPA doing this in the past, intervening in contracts to tell someone to fight for more, but it could all be lies of course. Maybe they want a league wide cap problem to happen so more owners have an appetite to loosen cap rules

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I want to say that I've heard of the NHLPA doing this in the past, intervening in contracts to tell someone to fight for more, but it could all be lies of course. Maybe they want a league wide cap problem to happen so more owners have an appetite to loosen cap rules
I have never heard of the NHLPA doing this in the past. And I was a mod on the business board where I am sure it would have been a hot topic. But it is theoretically possible I have missed this. If you find an example let me know. Though in any case there have been plenty of cases where stars took less to fit their circumstance without NHLPA interference.

A "cap problem" as I think you mean just means more escrow which is exactly what the players don't want. There is no way the owners go back and get rid of a hard cap. That battle is done. They may want to rethink how the cap range is constructed, ie a lower ceiling relative to the "mid-point" but that would make it even less likely that the PA would push stars to take more.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

It appears you completely missed my point.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
12.5M x 2 yrs

Who says no? Drai or Oilers?

Gives Oilers a chance to focus on McDavid first and see what they can do with Drai after having him for another 2 yrs of his prime.

Drai banking on himself and setting himself up for a final 8yr deal with cap likely much higher than now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
12.5M x 2 yrs

Gives Oilers a chance to focus on McDavid first and see what they can do with Drai after having him for another 2 yrs of his prime.

Drai banking on himself and setting himself up for a final 8yr deal with cap likely much higher than now.
Draisaitl says no. That is a huge risk for him.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
12.5M x 2 yrs

He’s played himself into a guaranteed 100+ million dollars. Risking that would be insane. A lot can happen in 3 years.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
12.5M x 2 yrs

Hey, we all know you want Leon off the team ASAP but try to be realistic :sarcasm:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
So let's say Draisaitl chooses not to sign now and wants to play the year out, and possibly test free agency and/or sign after this upcoming season. Is there any chance that the Oilers trade him before or during the season or they gonna take a shot at the cup with an unsigned Leon regardless? I feel they will NOT trade him, no matter what, they are built to go for it this season, and I feel that's what they will do. I also believe that he is going to a sign an extension before the season. I was just wondering if others thought there was any chance that they would ever trade Leon.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
So let's say Draisaitl chooses not to sign now and wants to play the year out, and possibly test free agency and/or sign after this upcoming season. Is there any chance that the Oilers trade him before or during the season or they gonna take a shot at the cup with an unsigned Leon regardless? I feel they will NOT trade him, no matter what, they are built to go for it this season, and I feel that's what they will do. I also believe that he is going to a sign an extension before the season. I was just wondering if others thought there was any chance that they would ever trade Leon.
It’s one heck of a question isn’t it. I think it’s really unlikely they trade him. They gotta shoot for the cup, but losing him for nothing would be a disaster too. I guess if he tells you there is no way he’s resigning you probably have to look at it. I have thought a lot about this scenario, and I just can’t land on an answer, I’m sure there will be some strong opinions here.

Reactions: barry halls

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It’s one heck of a question isn’t it. I think it’s really unlikely they trade him. They gotta shoot for the cup, but losing him for nothing would be a disaster too. I guess if he tells you there is no way he’s resigning you probably have to look at it. I have thought a lot about this scenario, and I just can’t land on an answer, I’m sure there will be some strong opinions here.
If he doesn’t re sign you have absolutely no choice than to trade him before the season starts. It’s the only way to get value back and not waste the asset. If we walk him to FA it is a complete organizational fail and everyone from Jackson down should be fired on the spot. All the good that has been done would be erased with that move IMHO.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
12.5M x 2 yrs

Banking on himself? He hasn't done that already by playing imself into a guaranteed 8 year 100mil+ contract, making him one of the highest paid in the league? Anything else is a huge risk for him

Drai on Instagram this morning
GSsqSvNaAAAa0Ex.jpeg

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Banking on himself? He hasn't done that already by playing imself into a guaranteed 8 year 100mil+ contract, making him one of the highest paid in the league? Anything else is a huge risk for him

Drai on Instagram this morningView attachment 895447
Guy loves it here and will re-sign. Enjoy your summer Oil fans and stop worrying about this.

Also, looking forward to getting my likes back in September. f***ing Florida trolls.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018

Drai on Instagram this morningView attachment 895447

This gives me chills man

I don’t care what his AAV is, a Drai extension will be cause for huge celebration no matter what. I can’t wait to stop having to listen to non-Oil fans tell me he is going leave. Leon extending pretty much seals a McD extension next summer too

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Guy loves it here and will re-sign. Enjoy your summer Oil fans and stop worrying about this.

Also, looking forward to getting my likes back in September. f***ing Florida trolls.
Gave you one this morning and its only July--enjoy.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Their behaviour is so strange, and frankly Nuck like. Similar to the Avalanche in 2022.

We have no rivalry history with them, no real reason to hate each other, and they beat us fair and square. I don't think anyone here has any major issue with them, but they choose to take the tact of basically morphing into Nuck/Flame/Leaf trolls for... reasons?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Run it back. The Oilers last year are a team that lost in game 7 of the finals run it back and win it.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Their behaviour is so strange, and frankly Nuck like. Similar to the Avalanche in 2022.

We have no rivalry history with them, no real reason to hate each other, and they beat us fair and square. I don't think anyone here has any major issue with them, but they choose to take the tact of basically morphing into Nuck/Flame/Leaf trolls for... reasons?

It’s funny because they were all pissing themselves (almost literally) after the series got tied up. Blubbering like babies

Reactions: Duke74

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I’m liking this post because it’s nice to know for once I still have mine!

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad