Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
On some level I could see the PA being keen on keeping a merit based looking list of comparables. That said no one is taking enough of a pay cut I feel to make this a serious concern.
The bolded is certainly the case. We already have many examples of players at all levels taking less to play in a situation that they desire. But I doubt we have ever seen players go so far as to get the PA involved.

Reactions: alanschu

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think because some of the years will be old guy territory Draisaitl will get 11-12M for a long contract 8 years. This or if he wants much more it will be a sign and trade to get 8 years.

I also think one of the big 4 has to go or we cannot win more than the one cup next year. Near half our cap on 4 players is too much to get excellent support players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think because some of the years will be old guy territory Draisaitl will get 11-12M for a long contract 8 years. This or if he wants much more it will be a sign and trade to get 8 years.

I also think one of the big 4 has to go or we cannot win more than the one cup next year. Near half our cap on 4 players is too much to get excellent support players.
Zero chance we trade Draisaitl. Also even if the math sucks we will pay up for Draisaitl and Bouchard. If we move Draisaitl you might as well say goodbye to McDavid too

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Even if the PA did get mad at McDavid signing a team friendly deal (they won't and he will be the highest paid player in the league regardless), WHO f***ING CARES???

Like legitimately, what is their recourse in this situation? Nothing. Literally a gigantic nothingburger that only our fans worry about for some reason.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even if the PA did get mad at McDavid signing a team friendly deal (they won't and he will be the highest paid player in the league regardless), WHO f***ING CARES???

Like legitimately, what is their recourse in this situation? Nothing. Literally a gigantic nothingburger that only our fans worry about for some reason.
The PA isn't a factor. McDavid will get what he wants. Last time he even signed for less than we offered and the PA did nothing

Reactions: TB12 and Porkleaker

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
The PA isn't a factor. McDavid will get what he wants. Last time he even signed for less than we offered and the PA did nothing
I'm still struggling to understand how one guy taking up a higher percentage of spendable cap, lowering the available money pool for the rest of the members is beneficial to the PA

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm still struggling to understand how one guy taking up a higher percentage of spendable cap, lowering the available money pool for the rest of the members is beneficial to the PA
I thought this too. I'd even think it's the opposite. The less players take, the more that everyone gets back in escrow

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

I think 11.5-12 is fair for the player and the organization. His best comparable, Pastrnak, recently signed for 11.25 or something similar. Mac makes 12.6, but he's a much better player.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think 11.5-12 is fair for the player and the organization. His best comparable, Pastrnak, recently signed for 11.25 or something similar. Mac makes 12.6, but he's a much better player.
His comparison was Pasternak last time he signed. The guy puts up 100 plus points consistently and has one of the highest PPG in the postseason. Not for just his generation but all time. He will get 13-14 as he deserves to.

That stupid article is floating around FB now :facepalm:

Reactions: TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I thought this too. I'd even think it's the opposite. The less players take, the more that everyone gets back in escrow

IMO, it's more ideal to max out all the cap space used. Because then you can complain about how owners are giving out contracts that pay way below what the players really take home. Strengthens arguments that players need to cut into more of the revenue pool to reduce the escrow.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If the number started with a 12 the deal would already be signed.
Think the team is giving him a few weeks to decompress after a heartbreaking loss, go on vacation, go to McDavid's wedding and have some time to talk to him about their plans. I don't think the contract was ever going to be signed this quick into the offseason no matter the number. They just finished playing hockey 12 days ago.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Because it moves everyone else up, and then justifies the use of higher cap escalators. Mcdavid takes 15, so other players take 14, so other guys take 12, and so on until depth guys are making 2. Then the NHLPA uses the full escalator.

Everyone is going to get rekt by escrow anyways because that's a function of the projected HRR being set at the cap midpoint. If the CBA said, projected HRR was the cap ceiling, then there would be very little escrow, the issue is that's what, a 12M roll back per team? The current players are the most important represented class of the NHLPA, obviously they aren't going to allow that.

Instead the system is basically designed for the current class of players to try and extract as much as they can now, use the escalators, which push the ceiling further and result in more escrow, increase the cap to get more money to pay more escrow. At the end of the day, having a gross of 12m and paying 1m in escrow is less money than having a gross of 15m and paying 2m in escrow. Each player maximizing their money is good for all players because they all maximize their money. The guys that get f***ed over are the ones on elc and RFA, but theyre also a less important member of the union than the vets and UFAs. Such as it is with all unions, tenure matters.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Drai camp wants 14M per, a touch more than the bar set by Matthews.

Oilers are likely hoping for something around 12.5M.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
IMO, it's more ideal to max out all the cap space used. Because then you can complain about how owners are giving out contracts that pay way below what the players really take home. Strengthens arguments that players need to cut into more of the revenue pool to reduce the escrow.
This year the players may get not only all of their escrow back but perhaps even more, and that is after paying off the covid deficit.

We may see a restructuring of the cap range in the next CBA that could well set the ceiling at something like 5-6% over the "midpoint". They could probably do that without much of a issue since the ceiling this year may well be a fair bit under the actual players share of revenue next year.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
1720363814673.png

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad