Prospect Info: Lenni Hämeenaho (#58 Pick - 2nd Round - 2023 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I’ll be this guy who feels the need to tell you that Finland isn’t part of Sandinavia, and their language is completely unrelated to the three Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish).

/pedantic
What's interesting to me is that Finnish shares the same language base as Estonian and... Hungarian.

It seems the Huns attacking the Roman empire were Finnish, and when defeated, were herded into an area now known as Hungary.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I’ll be this guy who feels the need to tell you that Finland isn’t part of Sandinavia, and their language is completely unrelated to the three Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish).

/pedantic

Technically correct. Typically Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway, Sweden. But sometimes people use the peninsula as the driver for the definition - which includes part of Finland (but not Denmark). Or, they just consider it a synonym of or shorthand for the Nordic Countries (which adds Finland, Estonia, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Aland to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden).

It's like the United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland but Great Britain does not, since Great Britain is an island - but some use GB as a shorthand for the UK.

They all have Nordic Crosses for flags! Except Greenland which is in North America.

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
Today I learned that Lenni’s surname translates literally to… “leather skirt”?

Finnish is a weird language sometimes. :laugh:

It doesn't. Technically "hame" does mean skirt, and I guess "naho" could in some instances be interpreted as being derived from leather("nahka"). Häme is a region in Finland and the form indicates it's in genitive case. Aho refers to a wild meadow.
Technically correct. Typically Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway, Sweden. But sometimes people use the peninsula as the driver for the definition - which includes part of Finland (but not Denmark). Or, they just consider it a synonym of or shorthand for the Nordic Countries (which adds Finland, Estonia, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Aland to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden).

I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone consider Estonia part of the Nordics. It'd be nice, and they have applied for membership before, but weren't exactly greeted with open arms unfortunately.

As for to stay on topic, I thought the chance at 0:28 in @Juzmo 's clip seen live looked like he was barely moving at all yet slid away with his opponent unable to catch him. Great hands too obv.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It doesn't. Technically "hame" does mean skirt, and I guess "naho" could in some instances be interpreted as being derived from leather("nahka"). Häme is a region in Finland and the form indicates it's in genitive case. Aho refers to a wild meadow.

I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone consider Estonia part of the Nordics. It'd be nice, and they have applied for membership before, but weren't exactly greeted with open arms unfortunately.

As for to stay on topic, I thought the chance at 0:28 in @Juzmo 's clip seen live looked like he was barely moving at all yet slid away with his opponent unable to catch him. Great hands too obv.

Thanks, that's what I get for trusting Google translate. :laugh:

Don't worry about staying on topic, none of our threads do.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

To bring this back on HF NJ topic I ate pizza last night. It was whole wheat crust though which never quite thins out enough. When you are old you have to be healthier.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Funny thing about early days of translation software, in Finnish gender was often switched (in fact many of my Finnish friends often used him instead of her and vice versa when speaking English) and for some reason the team Karpat Oulu was translated as Miami Dolphins.

Early Finnish code humor.

Reactions: My3Sons

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Not super Lenni related, but significant team news:

The teams starting goalie, top goalie in the league, and basically the most important individual player for a team in the league, aka Niklas Rubin got injured 24mins into the opener for about 2-2.5 months. So they signed former Flames goalie Joni Ortio until the end of November with an option for Ortio to sign with a non-Finnish team earlier during that month. From the available goaltenders atm. seemingly one of the very top guys.

edit. Also there has been some talks about adding more of an offensive puck-moving defenseman to the team at some point so I'd imagine this has an impact on that plan in some way.

+ Another angle of the Lenni goal:

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not super Lenni related, but significant team news:

The teams starting goalie, top goalie in the league, and basically the most important individual player for a team in the league, aka Niklas Rubin got injured 24mins into the opener for about 2-2.5 months. So they signed former Flames goalie Joni Ortio until the end of November with an option for Ortio to sign with a non-Finnish team earlier during that month. From the available goaltenders atm. seemingly one of the very top guys.

edit. Also there has been some talks about adding more of an offensive puck-moving defenseman to the team at some point so I'd imagine this has an impact on that plan in some way.

+ Another angle of the Lenni goal:

Thanks for the info. Was looking at Rubin's numbers and wondering if he was someone that slipped through the cracks due to his size when he was younger or if he just excels at a lower level.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Lenni goal!

With a wrister from the blue-line to the corner to start the third to make it 3-2.

edit. Has def had a sharp start to the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Two games, two game winning goals. One right after their goalie got hurt, one to start a period after getting outplayed in the 2nd.

Leads team in expected goals with a xG of 1,12.
It's peak HF Devils to reply to your own post. It makes you one of us. You are now required to insist that Jesper Bratt is underrated, that Nico Hischier is a third line center, and Douglas Hamilton is both incredibly effective and incredibly ineffective. Oh and you must grouse that NJ is cursed in the crease post Brodeur whenever a NJ goalie gives up a softie. Welcome aboard!!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Safe to say Hameenaho has elevated his play since being drafted enough to reassess what his potential upside is? Relative to what was thought at the time, I mean.

I think his ceiling is Toffoli. Both poor skaters, both really smart, both great shooters. If he really hits I think he becomes like Toffoli. I still think the skating could definitely be enough of a limiting factor that there’s a reality where he ends up just not really making it at all

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think his ceiling is Toffoli. Both poor skaters, both really smart, both great shooters. If he really hits I think he becomes like Toffoli. I still think the skating could definitely be enough of a limiting factor that there’s a reality where he ends up just not really making it at all
I remember at the beginning of last season people were saying he seemed quicker, but sounds like still not a ton of movement in that part of his game. If he turns into a Toffoli that’s a home run second rounder.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I remember at the beginning of last season people were saying he seemed quicker, but sounds like still not a ton of movement in that part of his game. If he turns into a Toffoli that’s a home run second rounder.

There did seem to be some improvement from his DY to last year but the starting point was pretty low that it probably would’ve been hard for there not to be some improvement. It’s still quite bad. Yeah Toffoli would be a tremendous outcome. I’d probably bet more like a 3rd liner but that’s still good. Maybe also talented enough that you could toss him into a top 6 if needed and he can compliment stars. Hopefully Mercer gets his shit in order and Gritsyuk can be a top 6er and they fill the 2 top 6 spots long term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad