Lekkerimaki vs Matt Savoie?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hu

• Total voters

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Savoie is becoming underrated. This is close. I can understand taking Lekkerimaki, but 74/26 Lekkerimaki? Too far.
It’s almost exclusively Oiler fans voting for Savoie VS. a mixture voting for Lekkerimaki. Savoie has been trending downwards in his development while Lekkerimaki has been trending upwards. Both are still a ways away but Lekkerimaki is showing better progression

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Savoie is becoming underrated. This is close. I can understand taking Lekkerimaki, but 74/26 Lekkerimaki? Too far.
The Sabres wouldn’t have traded Lekkerimaki with how his development path has gone. They had a front row seat for Savoie and he was chosen as the odd man out having been passed internally by too many people for a spot to be there. Benson blew past him. Kulich too. Selecting Helenius was the final straw…but Ostlund and Wahlberg were less likely to be moved too given what they bring to the pool that Savoie doesnt. Injuries, a vanishing act at WJC, Not having been the best player on his own team in either of his post draft seasons. You can take your pick where the choice was made. He was probably their most likely to be traded the minute Benson dropped to them.

The real world already held a vote.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Voting doesn’t reflect the gap in their abilities.
The plot was lost the moment someone tried to compare WHL and SHL point production. That was the moment you could tell the poll was driven more by personal interest than actual skill evaluation.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lekk is better in a tougher league, world junior MVP

I hate this kind of reply on polls. If I asked you which of 50 or 49 was bigger, 100% of people should pick 50. It doesn't mean there's a huge difference.
Sure but this poll is about last nights game for many here it seems as Savoie didn't stand out like he should have.

It's a pickem for me although as a Canucks fan I hope Lekkerimaki becomes a steal but it's still a hope and bit of a longshot.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
To put those stats into perspective, Lekk played on a bad, low scoring Orebro team in the SHL. He led his team in goals and points, and he scored 16.5% of his teams goals, so a good argument can be made that he was the best goal scorer in the SHL last year. This is a very rare feat for a junior age player. Imo, an underrated prospect that is going to surprise a lot of people with his goal scoring ability.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lekkerimaki has been the better prospect for a couple years now.
It's not remotely close for me.

I would've taken Lekkerimaki on draft day, and I would still take him now. I loved his game and have always thought he can become an effective player at the NHL level. I never liked Savoie's game, thought he played the definition of a junior game.
100 percent small perimeter skill. Lek has NHL game breaking abilities. I found it so strange he went so much higher. Then I watched Buffalo draft Ostlund and thought to myself these players should be reversed in draft position. They are kinda similar though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sure but this poll is about last nights game for many here it seems as Savoie didn't stand out like he should have.

It's a pickem for me although as a Canucks fan I hope Lekkerimaki becomes a steal but it's still a hope and bit of a longshot.
Anyone basing prospect rankings on these rookie tournaments especially even one game of basically organized chaos around players that don't play a real system against guys that will never play pro needs to take a step back. These games are meaningless.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

100 percent small perimeter skill. Lek has NHL game breaking abilities. I found it so strange he went so much higher. Then I watched Buffalo draft Ostlund and thought to myself these players should be reversed in draft position. They are kinda similar though.
I mean Kulich is clearly the best of the three.

1. Kulich
2. Lekk
3. Savoie/Östlund
4. Savoie/Östlund
5. Öhgren (Since there was a Swedish trio in the draft)

is my order.

Reactions: GettingYourMoms

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean Kulich is clearly the best of the three.

1. Kulich
2. Lekk
3. Savoie/Östlund
4. Savoie/Östlund
5. Öhgren (Since there was a Swedish trio in the draft)

is my order.
I don't agree he is easily #2. Lekkerimaki has elite elite levels of skill and hockey sense. I for sure.prefer Ostlund to Savoie. They're in 4 different tiers personally. Kulich is alot further along in his physical development his peak won't be as high as Lekkerimaki in my opinion. Can't give Lekkerimaki a bad pass, his ability to find the soft spots is uncanny and his release is insane. Stylistically I see more of a shoot first Kucherov. They were similar in Jr in that the puck always finds them while not having to use their legs to get it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Hard to say about savoie he seems to have stalled or slowed down as a top prospect because at one point people were saying exceptional status and back in their respective 13 year old seasons Savoie was looking to be maybe better than Bedard but we all know what has happened since.

I still think that Savoie can become a very good NHLer but both he and shane Wright were at one time considered can't missed super prospects and then in hindsight maybe they just matured really early.

Like I said upthread Lekkerimaki has an incredible shot and great offensive instincts but I'm n tempering my expectations to see how he does this year but his outlook is looking a hell of alot better after his slow post draft progress which to be fair had health issues.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't agree he is easily #2. Lekkerimaki has elite elite levels of skill and hockey sense. I for sure.prefer Ostlund to Savoie. They're in 4 different tiers personally. Kulich is alot further along in his physical development his peak won't be as high as Lekkerimaki in my opinion. Can't give Lekkerimaki a bad pass, his ability to find the soft spots is uncanny and his release is insane. Stylistically I see more of a shoot first Kucherov. They were similar in Jr in that the puck always finds them while not having to use their legs to get it.
As a Canucks fan I sure hope that you are right about Lekk and honestly I still think that he and Willander can be huge additions to this team in the near future but maybe not until the 25-26 season..

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Savoie has an all world skill level. It might be his drive that will make him or break him. Seems to be going through the motions in this rookie tournament. Also the pressure of putting on his hometown jersey has seem to make him play little timid. Let's see how the main camp goes.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Savoie has an all world skill level. It might be his drive that will make him or break him. Seems to be going through the motions in this rookie tournament. Also the pressure of putting on his hometown jersey has seem to make him play little timid. Let's see how the main camp goes.
He has skill but he’s a small player who plays a small game. If he trends like this he is likely a Yamamoto type player. Decent skill but his size will be his downfall.

The more we see him the clearer it becomes why Buffalo wanted to recoup some assets for him.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He has skill but he’s a small player who plays a small game. If he trends like this he is likely a Yamamoto type player. Decent skill but his size will be his downfall.

The more we see him the clearer it becomes why Buffalo wanted to recoup some assets for him.
Your hilarious. Your anti Oiler sentiment is off the chain. The fact you just compared a just turned 20 year old 2 plus ppg, who to a 25 year old journeyman midget who was stapled to McDrai and still couldn't crack 30 points.

Dont worry man. Savoies development path will disappoint you when hes blowing past Lekk by the end of the year

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Your hilarious. Your anti Oiler sentiment is off the chain. The fact you just compared a just turned 20 year old 2 plus ppg, who to a 25 year old journeyman midget who was stapled to McDrai and still couldn't crack 30 points.

Dont worry man. Savoies development path will disappoint you when hes blowing past Lekk by the end of the year
What does Edmonton have to do with anything? Savoie started trending downwards in Buffalo :laugh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Since getting healthy after his bout with mono, Lekkerimaki has been great and tracking very well. I think Savoie will be one of those players who lights it up in junior but struggles at the NHL level.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Since getting healthy after his bout with mono, Lekkerimaki has been great and tracking very well. I think Savoie will be one of those players who lights it up in junior but struggles at the NHL level.
Skilled smaller player who ain’t exactly quick. Once he gets to the NHL level and the physicality ramps up he isn’t going to have a good time. Yamamoto is a really good comparison of a undersized kid who did well in the WHL, showed some kill the the NHL but ultimately struggled

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What does Edmonton have to do with anything? Savoie started trending downwards in Buffalo :laugh:
Credibility went out the window the minute you started calling a 20 year old highly touted prospect as a bust after the first rookie game in penticton. Rent free.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Credibility went out the window the minute you started calling a 20 year old highly touted prospect as a bust after the first rookie game in penticton. Rent free.
Where did I say he was a bust? No one is making judgement based on a couple rookie games. Savoie has had flaws before this weekend :laugh:. He has the talent to play in the NHL but his talent relative to his hype needs to be simmered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad