Value of: Lehkonen to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I don't understand the " we shouldn't trade him" narrative.

Habs are in rebuild mode, they'll have plenty of untradable veterans to "show the way" to the younger ones.

If Lehkonen can fetch a (low) 2nd and a suspect, go for it.

We have plenty of players who could turn like him in the minors. Bottom 6ers with some offensive: Poehling, RHP, Vejdemo, Dauphin, Evans, Ylonen, Mysak, Hillis, etc..

So we should give them a legitimate chance and try to develop them.

Lack of development in the MB era was partially due to lack of opportunities for younger ones.
MB was always filling up his roster with experienced but washed up vets.

A (conservative, like MB hired) coach will always favor experience over youth.

A change of philosophy in that regard would be welcome.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah i agree with you here. The guy seems to accept his role in defensive situations (PK, defensive faceoffs, etc) and, more importantly, has a worth ethic that resonates with the core values that every team wants their players to have. He certainly doesn't hurt us and i dont expect to overpay for him. I don't get why the habs would trade him unless the return is more than his perceived worth, or as a piece in a larger deal.

It sucks; ive never seen anyone get so many high-quality chances and not score.

What ive been hearing about in terms of return are Blais with a pick. I've also heard Kravstov's right being on the table, though that may have just been thrown around

Krav is not on the table IMO except for comparable future.
Not for vet we esp since we cannot fit vet into cap next year
and esp not for 2nd or 3rd line player

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Who does gorton really like?
Thats realistically available?

I thought you would never ask: Hajek, Henriksson, Lindbom, Aaltonen, Ragnarson, Kjellberg, Huska, Ronning, Bittetto, Reunanen, Richards, Khodorenko, Rueschoff

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Krav is not on the table IMO except for comparable future.
Not for vet we esp since we cannot fit vet into cap next year
and esp not for 2nd or 3rd line player

I thought Krav was a lost cause and not interested in playing for NYR? In this scenario, no one is going to give comparable futures especially if there are no guarantees that Krav will play for the team acquiring him. Even with those guarantees, the guy's attitude may be in question. If Lekh fills a hole for the rangers (work ethic, defensive missions, etc) i dont see this as a non-starter, wether the habs add or not.

I doubt you will get a true 2nd line roster player Iwhich Lek is not) straight up though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I thought Krav was a lost cause and not interested in playing for NYR? In this scenario, no one is going to give comparable futures especially if there are no guarantees that Krav will play for the team acquiring him. Even with those guarantees, the guy's attitude may be in question. If Lekh fills a hole for the rangers (work ethic, defensive missions, etc) i dont see this as a non-starter, wether the habs add or not.

I doubt you will get a true 2nd line roster player Iwhich Lek is not) straight up though.
nice try but you are not pilfering Krav for cheap
Rangers control
THEY effed it up, but can have a roster spot available for when he returns w/about 20-30? games left in the season, At that pt just have to play him with top line guys to prove he is top line and get estimate on his actual current production/upside.
After that, teams will bid on his upside and NY will use that production/build up his value unless any offer is too good to pass up.

Krav is not Lias anderson,
Krav will not be given away, and I can't wait for him to get here and make me look good. If Drury does not heed my advice here, he will look very bad for quite a while

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
you replied to none of the great points below, i wonder why?

And regarding his defensive impact, you sound like the kind of people who'd say the stay at home d-man who blocks shots and hits but gets stuck in his d-zone more often than not has a greater defensive impact than a d-man who might struggle a bit more in the d-zone but who is far better at clearing the zone and preventing entries (to the point of allowing less chances against and less goals against). Defense is NOT just hits, blocked shots and takeaways. If he's doing NOTHING defensively, how is he amongst the league's best forwards in scoring chances against? (The value of "scoring chances", "expected goals" and such is that it isolates the f***ing awful goaltending the Habs have had this season.
And why is it that whenever players play with him, they allow ~50% less scoring chances compared to when they're not playing with him? And for the record, these players still produce similarly offensively (maybe a bit more actually), so it's not a case of him just being a low event guy.
cuz u just write blocks of text and make ur best to make it unreadable. How about you bullet point it and keep it clean.
I mean so much text for mainly an irrelevant player no one notices on most nights

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I normally beat up Habs fans for some of their hot take trades, but I’ll defend them here. I think Lehkonen could fetch a low 2nd. He’s a good playoff type. RFA.
Lol rich. Oiler fans criticizing habs fan trades. That’s funny. Btw habs aren’t trading him for a second. Why would they?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Overvaluing?? What are you saying, that Habs should take the 2nd and run?

He was a 2nd round pick when he was drafted and has lived up to his billing. He's also very good in the playoffs. Why trade him for a 2nd when you can hold him and enjoy the benefits of his game?
With 1 season before he becomes a UFA, and the Habs seemingly 3-4 years away from being serious contenders. From a strictly asset management perspective, the 2nd and the cap flexibility would make a deal like this make sense for the Canadians. I appreciate that his style of play and relatively low cap hit make his value to fans higher than some faceless 2nd round pick, but Lehk is a 0.35 pt/game player over his career (I know he does more than score - PK, work rate, etc.), these types of players, especially wingers, would be getting good value for a 2nd round pick.
A trade like this maybe opens up enough space to take on a bad contract for an additional pick, or gives the Habs the assets required to trade back into the 1st round of the draft to get a player that has fallen down the draft. Rebuilds are tough to stomach as a fan and favorites like Lehk are often the price rebuilding teams pay in order to accumulate asset capital. I'm not saying the Habs should make a trade like this, but this is the type of deal that will have to happen if the Habs are going to rebuild properly.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Habs fans overrate Lehkonen but I think they could get atleast a second round pick for him .
If Montreal trade Lehkonen its likely to a contender using the NYR as example who also have STL 2nd rd pick it's currently picks in the 60's or mid 50's .
If that's all Montreal can receive in a Lehkonen trade it's unlikely they trade him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad