News Article: Lebreton project

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I wasn't at the game but the crowd shots on TV certainly didn't make it look like there were a lot of empty seats.

Do we have official numbers or pictures? People have been hanging their hat on that specific game since it got media attention (never mind HF shutting down any talk about the Jets not selling out their WCF).

The worst of it was all the white towels on the seat made it a lot worse for us there. At intermission they quickly gathered all the towels as it was horrific and embarrassing. But the fans were insanely loud that night

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’ve never been in a suite so I am wondering - does each person in a suite contribute to the attendance number?

depends on whether or not they are using bums in seats method, or paid attendance I suppose. Bums in seats, every person who's ticket gets scanned is part of the count. paid attendance counts regardless of whether or not you show up.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The worst of it was all the white towels on the seat made it a lot worse for us there. At intermission they quickly gathered all the towels as it was horrific and embarrassing. But the fans were insanely loud that night
If Melnyk didnt completely cut the ushers in the 300 level in another cost cutting move maybe those towels would have been picked up sooner saving the team from this embarassment you speak of. Or maybe if he hadn't cut the parking lot staff in half maybe people could have gotten to their seats on time.

I am obviously being sarcastic here the ushers and parking lot staff were cut last season not 2 season ago

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Capacity is all over the place, but 87.4% capacity for the season, 16,744 equates to 19, 153 capacity.
19153 is the capacity before club bell renos removed just shy of 500 seats. The source you used clearly didn't get that memo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
19153 is the capacity before club bell renos removed just shy of 500 seats. The source you used clearly didn't get that memo.

Not to mention all the seats they removed for that new bar/lounge/dealio that stripped all of the seats behind the opposing net this past offseason in the 300's.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I wasn't at the game but the crowd shots on TV certainly didn't make it look like there were a lot of empty seats.

Do we have official numbers or pictures? People have been hanging their hat on that specific game since it got media attention (never mind HF shutting down any talk about the Jets not selling out their WCF).
There are pictures and videos. Just google image empty seats Ottawa senators playoffs

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Leave it to you to have the only verifiable source. So did the Club Bell patrons sit on the ice or rummage around in the hallways? Wayne Scanlan has more credibility than you do. I will go with his numbers.

Or is he a paid employee of Melnyk too

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Leave it to you to have the only verifiable source. So did the Club Bell patrons sit on the ice or rummage around in the hallways? Wayne Scanlan has more credibility than you do. I will go with his numbers.

Or is he a paid employee of Melnyk too

Here's an article about the renos,

Arena makeover a winning strategy for Sens: Prof | Ottawa Business Journal

The construction required the removal of 18 suites, eight rows of seats and the concourse behind them, reducing the CTC’s overall seating capacity to 18,694 from 19,153. But the team expects to see an uptick in overall ticket revenues of eight to 10 per cent this season thanks to Club Bell.

There were at lot of references (like Wikipedia for example) that never updated the arena capacity after the change. Then when we further reduced capacity by tarping off a section of 1500 seats, capacity dropped to ~17000, not 17600 further confirming capacity was 18694 not 19153 prior. Here's a source for that change from Ken Warren

Senators reducing Canadian Tire Centre seating by 1,500

the Senators have made the rather dramatic move of reducing seating capacity to 17,000 from 18,500.

So you can go with Scanlan's numbers if you want, and you can question my credibility, but in the end, I'm just trying to help you be more factual. If you prefer to double down on being wrong, that's on you now. I've done my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did anyone else Listen to Bruce Garrioch, on Question Period, last night talking about Lebreton Flats, and the upcoming (late) November meeting with the NCC?

From what I remember, he thinks the earliest "shovels in ground" could happen, is next summer.

I can't find the segment anywhere, or a transcript, but he put the blame on the slow pace of progress, on the NCC .......... just as he did in this interview (from January) I did find.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...-to-clear-for-deal-at-lebreton-flats-1.977468

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I can't find the segment anywhere, or a transcript, but he put the blame on the slow pace of progress, on the NCC

Bruce Garrioch going to bat for the Ottawa Senators and making them look good while placing blame for a thing elsewhere should not be a surprising revelation for anyone that has followed either him or this team at any point in the last... Oh, let's say 15 years?

I'm not saying it's true or not, but I'm going to need a slightly less biased source than Bruce Garrioch before I'm convinced one way or the other.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Did anyone else Listen to Bruce Garrioch, on Question Period, last night talking about Lebreton Flats, and the upcoming (late) November meeting with the NCC?

From what I remember, he thinks the earliest "shovels in ground" could happen, is next summer.

I can't find the segment anywhere, or a transcript, but he put the blame on the slow pace of progress, on the NCC .......... just as he did in this interview (from January) I did find.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...-to-clear-for-deal-at-lebreton-flats-1.977468

If construction starts next summer, the absolute earliest we could expect the new arena to open would be September 2021.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Here's an article about the renos,

Arena makeover a winning strategy for Sens: Prof | Ottawa Business Journal

There were at lot of references (like Wikipedia for example) that never updated the arena capacity after the change. Then when we further reduced capacity by tarping off a section of 1500 seats, capacity dropped to ~17000, not 17600 further confirming capacity was 18694 not 19153 prior. Here's a source for that change from Ken Warren

Senators reducing Canadian Tire Centre seating by 1,500

So you can go with Scanlan's numbers if you want, and you can question my credibility, but in the end, I'm just trying to help you be more factual. If you prefer to double down on being wrong, that's on you now. I've done my part.

Touché

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bruce Garrioch going to bat for the Ottawa Senators and making them look good while placing blame for a thing elsewhere should not be a surprising revelation for anyone that has followed either him or this team at any point in the last... Oh, let's say 15 years?

I'm not saying it's true or not, but I'm going to need a slightly less biased source than Bruce Garrioch before I'm convinced one way or the other.

The NCC has a track record, on their slow pace of doing pretty much everything they've since it was created.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If construction starts next summer, the absolute earliest we could expect the new arena to open would be September 2021.

Construction began on April 24th, 2015, for the Little Caesars Arena, in Detroit.

It opened on September 5th, 2017, so it took roughly 28 months.

September 2021 would be an ambitious target, imo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Construction began on April 24th, 2015, for the Little Caesars Arena, in Detroit.

It opened on September 5th, 2017, so it took roughly 28 months.

September 2021 would be an ambitious target, imo.
The cleanup of the site would add time as well. Maybe 2022

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
February 28th, 2018

The NCC and RendezVous LeBreton will spend the next 18 months establishing a master design plan for the lands, and NCC chief executive Mark Kristmanson told reporters.

Jim Durrell thinks that timeline might be a tad optimistic, but he still envisions the Senators taking to the ice in a state-of-the-art new arena by the middle of the next decade.

I would be extremely surprised if our hockey team wasn’t playing in there six seasons from now, and I would hope five seasons from now,” he says.

NO TURNING BACK NOW ON LEBRETON FLATS – Trinity Group

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The cleanup of the site would add time as well. Maybe 2022

The cleanup of the site that the Canadian War Museum sits on took almost two years. And that site is small compared to the Lebreton parcel.

If all agreements were miraculously solved instantaneously and we put shovels in the ground to start land/soil remediation literally today, a hypothetical arena wouldn't be opening it's doors until late 2023/ early 2024, at the earliest.

And then you have to consider how long it's going to take the NCC and RVL to come to an agreement on a finalized deal, and THEN you have to consider that the city doesn't want to pay for land remediation, so settling that is going to take a stupid amount of time...

Honestly, anyone expecting to attend downtown games in the next 5-6 years are setting themselves up for some serious disappointment.

If I were calling my shot, I'd say that if it gets done, we're looking at roughly a 2026 soft open at the very earliest.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I need time to amass capital and buy a few properties in Old Hull so I am fine with this taking a while.

That place is gonna BOOM once Lebreton gets developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad