News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't think this is true at all.

No one is downtown it's a ghost town. Being close to transit will lead to way more 'walk ups'.
Surely there are people working and living downtown

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Mayor Sutcliff was a guest host on TSN1200 TGOR (or whatever they call it).

tune in to the replay. He addressed numerous issues.

He was incredibly candid.

1) the ball is near entirely in Andlauer's court.
2) his preference (the Mayor's) and his push is for a downtown. He needs it revitalized. It is sinking like a stone. The Feds bugged out and have left it as a ghost town.
3) Lebreton is actually bad for the city, it will get built up and further rob downtown of people/tourists/business

In a nut shell, I think the city will trip over its own feet accommodating a downtown location. It will push the Feds to offer up any of their building to provide the land to build.. It will ask the Feds to alter their office plans to accommodate the needs..

two issues are the road block
1) The Feds telling the city; your issues, you deal with them.. we will do what is in our best interest.
2) as things drag on, can/will Andlauer wait? he may jump at the first good offer that comes (ie Lebreton).

So, 1.5 M eastern Ontario's.. Please send 1.5 M e-mails to your local MP's, MPPs, city councilors, demanding action.

15 seats in parliament
15 seats at Queen's park
26 seats at city hall

Watch how quickly a downtown arena surfaces. And how quickly 50 year leases get signed...

Make sure your e-mail has a line: Or I will not be voting for you in the next election.
You can copy and past that.

No, I am not related to Michael Andlauer.. I am related to Che Guevara

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sutcliffe keeps talking about Downtown, but then they ask him where exactly and he starts throwing absolutely ridiculous, unrealistic ideas. He's basically just trying to torpedo it at this point, arguing in bad faith.

There are no good options downtown that don't involve hundreds of Millions in demolition/acquisition costs alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Mayor Sutcliff was a guest host on TSN1200 TGOR (or whatever they call it).

tune in to the replay. He addressed numerous issues.

He was incredibly candid.

1) the ball is near entirely in Andlauer's court.
2) his preference (the Mayor's) and his push is for a downtown. He needs it revitalized. It is sinking like a stone. The Feds bugged out and have left it as a ghost town.
3) Lebreton is actually bad for the city, it will get built up and further rob downtown of people/tourists/business

In a nut shell, I think the city will trip over its own feet accommodating a downtown location. It will push the Feds to offer up any of their building to provide the land to build.. It will ask the Feds to alter their office plans to accommodate the needs..

two issues are the road block
1) The Feds telling the city; your issues, you deal with them.. we will do what is in our best interest.
2) as things drag on, can/will Andlauer wait? he may jump at the first good offer that comes (ie Lebreton).

So, 1.5 M eastern Ontario's.. Please send 1.5 M e-mails to your local MP's, MPPs, city councilors, demanding action.

15 seats in parliament
15 seats at Queen's park
26 seats at city hall

Watch how quickly a downtown arena surfaces. And how quickly 50 year leases get signed...

Make sure your e-mail has a line: Or I will not be voting for you in the next election.
You can copy and past that.

No, I am not related to Michael Andlauer.. I am related to Che Guevara

If it was true, I wouldn’t admit that to anyone.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sutcliffe keeps talking about Downtown, but then they ask him where exactly and he starts throwing absolutely ridiculous, unrealistic ideas. He's basically just trying to torpedo it at this point, arguing in bad faith.

There are no good options downtown that don't involve hundreds of Millions in demolition/acquisition costs alone.
Putting a rink in the downtown core would require a boatload of public money, I’m talking 50%. Can’t see it happening.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

What do you or anyone care if it costs hundreds of millions to demolish and acquire so long as the end result is revitalizing downtown?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Putting a rink in the downtown core would require a boatload of public money, I’m talking 50%. Can’t see it happening.
The LRT givith and taketh away. That project is so over budget it might break the damn city.

I think there's going to be a lot of public money regardless of where it ends up but it might take a while for a cash strapped city.

I think they'll end up really studying the economics behind the deals in Calgary and Edmonton

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The LRT givith and taketh away. That project is so over budget it might break the damn city.

I think there's going to be a lot of public money regardless of where it ends up but it might take a while for a cash strapped city.

I think they'll end up really studying the economics behind the deals in Calgary and Edmonton
The Edmonton deal was a full 25 acres project including residential and commercial development, more like the original Lebreton project. Calgary is more in line with a downtown arena.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Andlauer pointed to the arena district in Edmonton that was built around the 20,000-seat Rogers Place Arena, which opened in Sept. 2016. The Oilers paid approximately $153 million of the more than $600-million arena project in Edmonton while the city fronted the rest of the money.
That's a little misleading, the ticket surcharge covers another 125 mil (plus interest), that's a user fee so not really from the city although adminstratively they do levy it, and it essentially shifts how much EDM can charge for tickets before sales go down, so it's coming out of their potential profit lines.

The 600+ mil also includes the 25 mil downtown community arena, which the city owns, operates and gets the revenue from, infrastructure like a pedestrian corridor and LRT connection (another 22 mil),

EDM oilers still got a very good deal, no need spin it into something even better.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This whole logic that downtown is square between Bronson/Slater to Elgin/Gladstone needs to die.

City needs to grow and have multiple downtown districts . Lebreton makes a ton of sense of evolving Ottawa on the major cities list.

Also needs reliable and fast public (and private) transportation routes between those districts, for it to be successful. And, I'm not convinced the LRT is ever going to be it.

What do you or anyone care if it costs hundreds of millions to demolish and acquire so long as the end result is revitalizing downtown?

If it costs too much, it won't happen. We're in a really odd economic time right now. I don't think cities want to be on the hook for massive public & private funding projects at this point (well, maybe they want it, but the money and future economic stability isn't guaranteed to be there to be worth the risk).

I'm really not sure what's going to happen now, to be honest. We have tent cities creeping up everywhere. People are losing their homes, population is skyrocketing, and prices for essentials are through the roof, and building any kind of affordable housing isn't happening....I really don't see the public being happy with millions (or billions) being spent on a professional sports team luxury project. Things are going to be really tricky from here on out. And it sucks, because this franchise really needs a new arena.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Re: "It’s believed in that meeting Nussbaum and NCC officials agreed to extend the MOU until Sept. 2024 to give Andlauer, Senators CEO/president Cyril Leeder and the club’s ownership group time to get up to speed on talks and determine the next steps in negotiations for a lease agreement."

I doubt if Andlauer will have made a decision by Sept. 2024. The issue for him is likely public funding and I'd think he'll take as long as it takes to get those key details before he'll make a decision.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The Senators don’t want Lebreton, and I am glad that this ownership group is smart enough to understand why.

The mayor wants it in downtown proper, and the spinoffs could be city changing if done right. It will be totally worth whatever it costs , and the spinoffs, for the city which desperately needs something to revitalize the core. These arenas and “entertainment districts “ actually do work at doing precisely that.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Senators don’t want Lebreton, and I am glad that this ownership group is smart enough to understand why.

The mayor wants it in downtown proper, and the spinoffs could be city changing if done right. It will be totally worth whatever it costs , and the spinoffs, for the city which desperately needs something to revitalize the core. These arenas and “entertainment districts “ actually do work at doing precisely that.
Tear down lesplanade laurier, build it there

Reactions: Wondercarrot

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Tear down lesplanade laurier, build it there

$200M to acquire, $100M to demolish. With no opportunities to make money on the surrounding development. Great plan! All while there is a free undeveloped parcel at Lebreton Flats.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
$200M to acquire, $100M to demolish. With no opportunities to make money on the surrounding development. Great plan! All while there is a free undeveloped parcel at Lebreton Flats.
Lebreton isn’t free, where did you get that idea.

Reactions: coladin

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There are many ways to make a downtown rink viable. You don’t need 25 acres of contiguous property.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is hyperbole. Where did you get this information? There is absolutely nothing to suggest it. I can confidently say this is not true. Its the number 1 location. Mass transit for both trains intersects right there and its the closest location to Gatineau a completely untapped market. Lots of room to develop around it and already walking distance to Hintonburgh and Little Italy.

Is the NCC making it easy I dont know but we do know that Claridge has a great relationship with them. So maybe its not the most viable due to the NCC but its definitely the best location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad