Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The Leafs played a great game, the way they have to play to be successful. Taney, OEL and Lorentz bring the team elements they were missing in the playoffs. Not to mention Stolarz. Great job by Treliving finding these guys.

However, Matthews Marner and particularly Nylander have to understand they’re expected to play a more responsible brand of hockey. Rielly looks slow. No wonder our PP sucks. These 4 guys are on it.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I couldn't be happier with this game. The bottom 6 is so good compared to any group in recent memory. When was the last time our bottom 6 carried the team like that?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For the most part the new guys are looking really good.

Also, dare i say we have really solid goalie depth?

Rielly looks slow. No wonder our PP sucks. These 4 guys are on it.
I think we will soon see OEL on the first PP unit.

He has a harder shot and proved he could QB a unit last playoffs. Really just mix it up in some kind of way....please.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The New Jersey Divers.

What a f***ing bullshit team.

They might end up getting to the playoffs this season, but will get bounced due to their passion for ballet.

I think some of this had to do with the refs somewhat holding their whistles in their pocket for the first half of the game and then a penalty palooza after midway through. Nylander could've gotten called for almost attempted murder with slapshotting the puck down the ice with 2 players (A Devil/Leaf) in his vicinity lol

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I couldn't be happier with this game. The bottom 6 is so good compared to any group in recent memory. When was the last time our bottom 6 carried the team like that?
I fully agree. I was very much in the camp of spreading the core four across the three lines and a fourth line that didn't get much ice time.

That really should not be the plan if we can have a fourth line like this most nights. Maybe we still spread out the big three and trim a bit top nine time? Maybe lean on whichever two are going on a given night? Competition is a good thing and it might be the best way to use our depth as an advantage, and we do have depth.

What do we do when Dewar and Jarnkrok are back? I think we might see a lot confusing transactions to continue the cap gymnastics and they try to run four of five million "over the cap all year"? It's a good way to not spend assets of depth rentals.

I do think we could move some or all of Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren and not miss too much depth as long as we stay reasonably healthy.

It's a good team.

Reactions: Razz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's a weird thing, but it looks like all the players have no issues playing a different style of game than our previous iterations, with the exception of the big 4.

It's like they've never learnt or been part of a team that plays north/south hockey. They all look pretty lost.

The other 14 skaters are like, yeah fair enough we'll do it. But the big 4 are like pardon? What do you want me to do?

It's only been 2 games, give it time they will get it going, they showed flashes of it with the Tavares goal tonight

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

The bottom six never had an opportunity before this year because Bozo the Keefe let Matthews and Marner take 3 minute shifts and play 28 minutes every game.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Really happy with how this team is shaping up in general. We'll see how it holds up as the season goes on, but the depth just seems so much better than in past years, including in goal where of course Hildeby looks like he'll be a legit option to fill-in this year when needed.

Obviously some things are still a work in progress. Too many stupid penalties these last two games (although the Devils were flopping tonight). The PP is garbage but that will sort itself out in time. I also like how animated the coaching staff is on the bench. Takes me back to the old Pat Quinn days.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The bottom six never had an opportunity before this year because Bozo the Keefe let Matthews and Marner take 3 minute shifts and play 28 minutes every game.

Coach, personnel, whatever the case may be we finally have depth scoring. I like that everyone on the team has a role. One thing that I've noticed early on is that the team is involved even if we have a string of penalties.

So often you would hear Keefe complain that the team couldn't get into a rhythm due to too many penalties or whatever, the sure enough we cough up a goal right after scoring one or something.

Keefe always ran a short bench, I agree with you.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
4th line was unreal. I absolutely love Lorenz, OEL, and Tanev. Our defence is so much better than last year.

PP an absolute joke again. Would like to see OEL on it for Rielly, maybe consider another change.

Time to switch top two lines.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
There isn't much science to this. The Leafs will be a really good regular season team. Potentially the best in the league. The question will be how they translate that to the playoffs. I feel far more comfortably with this defense/goaltending and coaching combination than in any prior iteration of this generation of the Leafs. I could care less what Matthews, Marner and Nylander do this season. They can each get 50 points for all I care. Despite what many want to believe, it isn't about them.
You also predicted we'd win the Division and finish 2nd or 3rd overall last year. We all know how that turned out.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Good solid w. The bottom 6 was great. I think this team may have a new identity this year, small sample but I think it’ll be more a team game from top to bottom now. I won’t be surprised if the big 3’s numbers take a big hit this year. Might be a more defensive team, I’m hoping anyway. But that’s the feeling I’m getting early on.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Oh wow, the 4th line can actually be competent with the correct personnel. Reaves shouldn't see another game this month.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Guys you got to relax on the core 4 a bit It's been 2 games, the team as a new coaching staff and with a new coaching staff comes a new system they will break through.

Personally I'm glad the depth carried the load last night because they didn't at all last year.

If this team is going to go anywhere Bobby McMann is going to have to score some goals, Pacioretty too, you might need a couple from Lorentz, Robertson is going to have to score some goals.

The depth NEEDS to produce it can't be ALL on Matthews, Marner, Nylander Tavares and Rielly.

I know what they make, doesn't change the fact others need to step up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad