Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Watched bits and pieces and so far can feel the hustle and D vibe with Berube. Tanev is so solid. OEL a breath of fresh air I never expected. Yeah it's 2 games in but the late lead didn't terrify me like in the past. Boys were poised.

Hildebeast well done! Feel very good about our goaltending depth and team D support, it will serve us well.

I luv Willy Nye but man this is how you reward a 92 million dollar contract? Surprised more hasn't been said. Terrible "give up" backcheck on a short handed chance, brutal penalty at the end that could have seriously cost us. Ugly game from Bill Nye, we need more there.

Matty has an air of something different... had chances and they will come. Like the Captains Vibe he'll get his.

Reactions: Lilou and ACC1224

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
It's only two games, but there seems to be signs at least of more defensive commitment. The forecheck looks more aggressive/tenacious. I'm liking what I've seen so far from Tanev and OEL. Just get the PP clicking and we look to be in good shape.

Reactions: Lilou and Burnie97

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
People need to relax about the first line. Those guys are going to be fine. They are going to end up with largely the same number of goals/assists they had last season (although Matthews is likely to drop for obvious reasons). Focus on how the team plays as a whole. Look at that third period tonight. This was a good defensive team under Keefe, but they are going to be that much better under Berube. The top guys won't need to score 69 goals for the team to win.
Big picture right here. It’s a long season, there will be adjustments, ups and downs.. all that matters is that we’re firing on all cylinders come playoffs.

It’s only 2 games, but we do appear to have a better defensive structure and PK. Just need to get that PP going. Tre signings look solid so far. OEL and Tanev look great.

Reactions: Kurtz and Burnie97

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Every year we have to start with Marner stapled to Matthews and every year we turn the corner when Marner is taken away from Matthews.

Waiting patiently for it to happen again. Matthews is a better player away from Marner.

Really would like for Liljegren to get some pairing reps with OEL. This is the guy he needs to be learning from.

Congrats to Hildeby. Good to see him stick it to Keefe. The idiot called him up for games last season only to sit him the entire time.

Have been pulling for Woll, but Stolarz and Hildeby look like they are taking his opportunity and run away with it.

Last edited:

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Big picture right here. It’s a long season, there will be adjustments, ups and downs.. all that matters is that we’re firing on all cylinders come playoffs.

It’s only 2 games, but we do appear to have a better defensive structure and PK. Just need to get that PP going. Tre signings look solid so far. OEL and Tanev look great.

Synchronicity — we just posted pretty much the same thing.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Nah let him cook
There isn't much science to this. The Leafs will be a really good regular season team. Potentially the best in the league. The question will be how they translate that to the playoffs. I feel far more comfortably with this defense/goaltending and coaching combination than in any prior iteration of this generation of the Leafs. I could care less what Matthews, Marner and Nylander do this season. They can each get 50 points for all I care. Despite what many want to believe, it isn't about them.

Reactions: Kazparov

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
There isn't much science to this. The Leafs will be a really good regular season team. Potentially the best in the league. The question will be how they translate that to the playoffs. I feel far more comfortably with this defense/goaltending and coaching combination than in any prior iteration of this generation of the Leafs. I could care less what Matthews, Marner and Nylander do this season. They can each get 50 points for all I care. Despite what many want to believe, it isn't about them.
Huge fan of the defense/goaltending combo too. I think we're going to hopefully see the offensive effort more evenly spread out, too, which is a good thing.

Just need to do something about that atrocious powerplay...

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Huge fan of the defense/goaltending combo too. I think we're going to hopefully see the offensive effort more evenly spread out, too, which is a good thing.

Just need to do something about that atrocious powerplay...
The offense is going to improve as a by-product of the team's improved defensive play. The power play may need time for the new systems to sink in. I also won't be surprised if we see Patches on PP1 before long.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Every year we have to start with Marner staples to Matthews and every year we turn the corner when Marner is taken away from Matthews.

Waiting patiently for it to happen again. Matthews is a better player away from Marner.

Really would like for Liljegren to get some pairing reps with OEL. This is the guy he needs to be learning from.

Congrats to Hildeby. Good to see him stick it to Keefe. The idiot called him up for games last season only to sit him the entire time.

Have been pulling for Woll, but Stolarz and Hildeby look like they are taking his opportunity and run away with it.
Both MM and AM are much better all around player when they play on different lines than the same line.
The simple fact that the opposing shutdown line will only play one of their lines will free up the other line against lesser competition

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Get a good defensive system and average goaltending is elevated. I really like.our GAA thus far.

To be fair we ran Keefe’s system with a Mete-Hollowell 3rd pair and our top pairing injured in front of our 4th string goalie for weeks and somehow came out of it with a 2GAA.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I've liked what I've seen on both games, results aside, guys going to the net and better defensive zone support from the forwards.

Good win, not a single moment where the Devils dominated them or played a scary game.

The Devils are a good team who might be great in 2-3 years, love that D they're building with Nemec, Hughes, Hamilton, Casey and Pesce, and the forwards have skill but hot damn what a babby soft forward group. I said at the time and I say again, they should have been super hard on Tkachuk when Calgary was shopping him.

I also dig they give due to their lesser-hearlded alumni. Everyone knows Stevens, Brodeur, Elias and Neidermayer, but they have Salvador and Dano working the broad cast.

==

The PK looks good, aggressive but not suicidal but why does the PP look like shit?

Nicky Bobby didn't score or get a point but he's driving the net and making much better decisions with and without the puck. He's gonna get at least 20-20-40 and either be retained or dealt for a fair return.

I like Lorentz, goes to the areas and he gets himself a G-note and an A and I like his big body and speedy style, he's like a glove in this Berube system.

Bobby McGangsta, never healthy scratch him again, made his presence felt immediately. Adding him gives them 4 full forward lines, just do what needs to be done and give Reaves an FOJ now.

Knies is using his body well and not taking penalties while doing it, he's gonna be a big piece.

Holmberg has a lot of tenacity in his game.

For the second game in a row Willy was figure skating and that was a very stupid penalty in the third. Domi looks better than him and Marner so far two games in.

Also for the second game in a row Mo looked pedestrian - not horrible and no glaring errors, but not like a 7.5 guy.

Again - why not try Timmins out at LW? He's big and skates well and is an adventure on D, stranger things have happened.

JT took a stupid, lazy penatly that resulted in a goal, but then got a goal later, he's still not much of a factor otherwise and most I'd give him is 3x4.5.

Matthews is getting his chances, the goals will come.

I sang the praises of Benoit last night and he was mostly good but he definitely could have grabbed a twig at the end of the second or caught a proactive bench change. A misplay okay, but then that stupid penalty because Meier was a p***y. I like where his heart was at but that was no good.

OEL has a nice stick on the PK, he had a much better game than he did last night.

They did a really nice job of keeping it light for Hildeby, he did make a few good saves but that second one went right through him. He has good economy of movement and tracks pucks well through traffic.
Can't trade Reaves without a replacement there will be times times will try to hurt the Leafs. Happens to every team. Or heck even the Leafs might hurt 1 of there's and need a Sherif for a few. Don't see any other on Reaves level to fight. Look at the Pittsburgh Penguins and Mario health issues. Not to mention if you see the top 5 penalty minute leaders in the playoffs. They would have an other cup with the time those guys missed

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
It's only two games, but there seems to be signs at least of more defensive commitment. The forecheck looks more aggressive/tenacious. I'm liking what I've seen so far from Tanev and OEL. Just get the PP clicking and we look to be in good shape.
The Matthews made a dump in on the power play in game 1 don't remember him really putting the puck in an area of perceived chance. Opposed to putting the puck towards an active teammate. Doing this even once a game breaks the reputation the opposite teams defense. The other teams had a tendency to cheat when it comes to the leafs and they starts running the same play 99 percent of the time. Doing something different even 5 percent of the time, adds doubt to the defenders decision making skills. Which can create a mental pause and that's all they need to capitalize.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
1. You can start to the see the jist of how Berube wants them to play. Limit the cute fancy and holding onto the puck for too long, and get the puck in the zone quicker and get to work.

2. Bottom 6 looks pretty good so far. Feels like it's easier to play in Berube system and look good then playing in Keefes.

3. Really like the 5 dman so far, not sold on the 6th spot.

4. PK has allowed 2 goals in 2 games, but team is taking far to many pens in two games (9 or 10?)

5. PP needs some work, 1st unit looks like ass, doesn't know what it wants to do with the puck. Don't understand if Toronto is going to run 2 units a min each, why load up the first unit, they should just spread out the talent on both units.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That was a very impressive victory, please keep the 4th line as it is

Tanev & OEL have re-shaped our defensive core, they look unbelievable so far. I expected this from Tanev but OEL has surprised me, he's solid all around and can make plays
OEL is also way more chippy than I imagined, which is refreshing to see.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The sooner people realize this, the more they will enjoy what they are watching. This is going to be a dominant defensive team. It won't matter who is in net.
dont think that precludes guys from getting their regular 50-60 goal or 80-110 point seasons; an effective powerplay and a strong north south system will get guys this talented their points. count on it

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We have some goaltending depth for once.
Also Reaves must not see the ice again after that 4th line game. Incredible game by them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad