Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Top guys sucked again. Matthews Marner Nylander pure dog shit

It was a joke McMann didn’t play game 1. Big f*** you to Berube tonight.

Hildabeast is a stud. He’s actually NHL ready.

Pp is embarrassing
Pk is great

Reactions: HolyCrap

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Hockey is the strangest of the professional sports, with the most randomness.

Leafs dominate a shite team last night and lose. Yet, somehow play as mediocre as you could play and win tonight vs a much much better opponent.

Hildeby was excellent. Needed that 2nd one against back, but there was so much going wrong on that shift it's hard to put the blame just on him.

1st line was a joke. Did they even play? Knies was actually decent. The other two, wow.

PP was even worse. That was as bad as it has been. Hopefully they split them into two units soon. Perimeter fluff play.

2nd line was okay. I felt they were way more involved than the 1st line. Great snipe by JT.

3rd line was good. They were working their asses off each shift. Things didn't always go their way, but they kept at it.

4th line was legit good. Real gud even. They were creating havoc and got rewarded. Lorentz deserves a spot on this roster.

Watching Tanev and OEL is eye opening. Like, our D has been seriously missing some key pieces. They are so physical, can move the puck and just overall calm in all situations.

A lot of silly penalties tonight again, but felt the game was not officiated evenly, not even close really. Kudos to the PK for saving face after giving up the early one.

Assuming the big boys saving themselves for Saturday night?

We probably should be 1-1 after those two games. And we are, regardless of how we got there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pacioretty with a goal, Lorentz with a goal and an assist and Mcmann with a goal.

Good to see the depth step up and win a game because that didn't happen much last year it was either the big boys or it was a loss.

Wasn't concerned about last nights loss because of what I saw last night.

I saw good goaltending, strong defensive play, good PK, they just didn't get the bounce.

Tonight I saw the exact same things.

Good PK, strong defensive play, good goaltending but this time they got the bounces.

Said it last night and will say it again if they play the way they played the first 2 games, they will win and they will win A LOT.

It's not perfect 10 penalties in 2 games is to much but overall I'm very impressed.

Now let's get the big boys going Saturday.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It's a weird thing, but it looks like all the players have no issues playing a different style of game than our previous iterations, with the exception of the big 4.

It's like they've never learnt or been part of a team that plays north/south hockey. They all look pretty lost.

The other 14 skaters are like, yeah fair enough we'll do it. But the big 4 are like pardon? What do you want me to do?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
it was a worst game than yesterday for leafs but with a netter result

Just started strong but end of period wqs hard. Leafs outside of bad penalty was pretty good to protect the lead. Its always been a challenge for the team and it wqs not tonight.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
tbh i just like the way matthews plays when he cant rely on marner on that line, he seems to take charge alot more and tends to play more physical too.
Matthews doesnt "rely" on Marner. Marner just always is throwing the puck away and killing offense for that line.

Matthews wasnt scoring with Marner last season either, they were split up by Nov28: In 248:25 of 5-on-5 action Matthews and Marner have shared this season, they’ve been outshot 124-116 and are only outscoring the competition 14-13. When you consider that Matthews is starting 59 per cent of his shifts in the offensive zone and Marner is starting 57 per cent of his in the O-zone, that’s simply not good enough for a roster structured on top-end dominance. Matthews hasn’t scored 5-on-5 in the past seven games. Marner hasn’t registered a point in five of the past seven.

Reactions: BM14

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hockey is the strangest of the professional sports, with the most randomness.

Leafs dominate a shite team last night and lose. Yet, somehow play as mediocre as you could play and win tonight vs a much much better opponent.

Hildeby was excellent. Needed that 2nd one against back, but there was so much going wrong on that shift it's hard to put the blame just on him.

1st line was a joke. Did they even play? Knies was actually decent. The other two, wow.

PP was even worse. That was as bad as it has been. Hopefully they split them into two units soon. Perimeter fluff play.

2nd line was okay. I felt they were way more involved than the 1st line. Great snipe by JT.

3rd line was good. They were working their asses off each shift. Things didn't always go their way, but they kept at it.

4th line was legit good. Real gud even. They were creating havoc and got rewarded. Lorentz deserves a spot on this roster.

Watching Tanev and OEL is eye opening. Like, our D has been seriously missing some key pieces. They are so physical, can move the puck and just overall calm in all situations.

A lot of silly penalties tonight again, but felt the game was not officiated evenly, not even close really. Kudos to the PK for saving face after giving up the early one.

Assuming the big boys saving themselves for Saturday night?

We probably should be 1-1 after those two games. And we are, regardless of how we got there.

I don't know what you think you saw but they did not play mediocre tonight.

Reactions: chamchibap

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
SnLcAql.gif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wonder if Bérubé paired Marner and Matthews together partially because of their success in the past but also a way to see if they can buy in to him.

I mean he gives them a chance early and if it’s not working it’s easier and more justified to change it up.

Reactions: LeafSteel

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The guys who seem to be embracing Berube's system are the guys you'd most expect to, and so far they're looking pretty great. And the guys who you'd most expect to have trouble are struggling.

Unfortunately, we can't win with just our 4th line & goaltenders playing great.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The guys who seem to be embracing Berube's system are the guys you'd most expect to, and so far they're looking pretty great. And the guys who you'd most expect to have trouble are struggling.

Unfortunately, we can't win with just our 4th line & goaltenders playing great.
People need to relax about the first line. Those guys are going to be fine. They are going to end up with largely the same number of goals/assists they had last season (although Matthews is likely to drop for obvious reasons). Focus on how the team plays as a whole. Look at that third period tonight. This was a good defensive team under Keefe, but they are going to be that much better under Berube. The top guys won't need to score 69 goals for the team to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad