GDT: Leafs vs Wings: Friday in Sweden 2pm [TSN4]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think that the league missed a really good opportunity to showcase the game properly with this event. Why not Toronto, Tampa, NYR and Pittsburgh? Big ticket Swedes in Willy, Hedman, Mika and Karlsson, plus all of the superstars on those 4 teams.
Could have done the battle of Ontario in Sweden too. Have Sundin and Alfredsson at the game.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
They must get something from the league for going.

I'm sure they do, but I highly doubt is is equal.

I bet their season ticket holders don't get a discount, the Arena employees 2 days of Work, the local sports bars game-day boost in revenue, or the hotel visiting teams stay at etc etc.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I bet their season ticket holders don't get a discount, the Arena employees 2 days of Work, the local sports bars game-day boost in revenue, or the hotel visiting teams stay at etc etc.
As someone else said, the whole thing is stupid. I can't imagine that Sweden is underserviced for hockey.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
As someone else said, the whole thing is stupid. I can't imagine that Sweden is underserviced for hockey.

I can't find anyone who like the idea. I can understand doing it in non-hockey markets.

Go to Latvia and keep up the momentum from the World Championships last year. Or Rome/Paris/Madrid etc. Even Mexico City and have a Matthews-Iso camera.

Arena technology is good enough these days you can play anywhere.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm pretty sure that home teams for international games and outdoor games get paid the equivalent of what they would make from a home game. Essentially, the league buys the game from the team and runs the show.

So, a Leafs home game is very expensive to buy out. That's probably why Buffalo was the home team in the Buffalo-Toronto Heritage Classic in Hamilton.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Could have done the battle of Ontario in Sweden too. Have Sundin and Alfredsson at the game.
I imagine Ottawa did not want to sell the league a Toronto game. Or if the payment from the league is based on the specific visiting team, the league may have preferred not to buy it.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Ugh.

2pm, 8am, 2pm.

Going to take some work being skipped or ignored to catch the next few games.
Thankfully the 2PM games are on Fridays lol. The Hawks game is on Black Friday so I'll probably be online shopping and watching the game during work hours :laugh: (obviously much harder to do for the folks with hands on jobs requiring them to be in person)

Reactions: Jojalu

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I'm on the west coast so the two 11am PST games work great for me. I'm neither a farmer, not am I someone who stays up all night doing lines anymore, so I guess I'm recording that 5am PST game.

This would have been a great gimmick in 1974 or something.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They wouldn’t charge their ticket holders for the game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
""

Seeing Reaves in the lineup pains me. Did Kampf get hurt Saturday, or maybe just a day off?

Maybe he got banged up when the puck went off him into the net on the 5-2 goal VS Vancouver.

Maybe it hit him the wrong way.

Ugh.

2pm, 8am, 2pm.

Going to take some work being skipped or ignored to catch the next few games.

What's the difference between work being skipped vs ignored?

Reactions: Jojalu

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Flying to Stockholm to watch both games.

As a Leafs fan who has lived in the UK for the past decade I've waited for this for a long time. Two games with a day in-between to catch some sights. And it's the regular season! Stop whining about the start times!
v7c1kEZ.gif

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe he got banged up when the puck went off him into the net on the 5-2 goal VS Vancouver.

Maybe it hit him the wrong way.

What's the difference between work being skipped vs ignored?
I guess I could skip work, and have a few beers at home or a pub.

Or just sit around work watching the game on my phone.

Reactions: Brad C

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
As a Canadian living in the UK it’s pretty awesome I get a 7pm game and spend it with my dad eating wings.
fair enough. Still as someone in Canada who watches a certain English football club every time they play, it never bugs me when the games aren’t in my preferred time zone.

3 games over the next 2 weeks is torturously low
It’s so stupid. Then They’ll cram games together at other points to even it out.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The NHL doesn't care about marketing the sport. They constantly duck out from Olympics. They pick random teams out of a hat, and play in the same countries over and over. Want to grow the game Why not play in f***ing Spain, France, Portugal? Hockey is already very popular in Sweden.

NHL guy: We should play some games in a new market.

NHL guy 2: Yeah, that would expose the game to new people. How about Australia?

Betman: Only if we showcase the most irrelevant and least valued team in the league. Arizona. Otherwise, Sweden. Again.

NHL guy: But Gary, dont you thi-

Betman: Arizona. BARRETT HAYTON

Why did they bring f***ing Arizona to Australia in Pre Season? Really? You cant tell me they actually thought this through.

NBA does it right. When they have games overseas, they use their brains and showcase Kobe (RIP), Lebron, Curry
Even a Germany/Switzerland showcase. New Jersey has 4 Swiss players and the Hughes bros. Send Drai and McDavid.

While these counties have string niche markets already, hockey - especially NHL hockey is only a blip in the market share over there. With a population of close to 100M people, it would only make sense to attempt to expand their growing success.

As you said though, Sweden doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm pretty sure that home teams for international games and outdoor games get paid the equivalent of what they would make from a home game. Essentially, the league buys the game from the team and runs the show.

So, a Leafs home game is very expensive to buy out. That's probably why Buffalo was the home team in the Buffalo-Toronto Heritage Classic in Hamilton.
This makes sense.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
fair enough. Still as someone in Canada who watches a certain English football club every time they play, it never bugs me when the games aren’t in my preferred time zone.

It’s so stupid. Then They’ll cram games together at other points to even it out.
The time change is a little more forgiving back to NA, I’m either staying up late for a midnight game time, or more usually watching the highlights first thing in the morning.

Luckily for this you get a Friday afternoon game, a free Friday evening, and an afternoon Sunday game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad