Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I find this talk, and in some circles, obsession with labelling everything amusing.

""

Why do we have to label Stolarz the #1 goaltender? He's been excellent... absolutely. If Woll comes back, and he's his equal... who cares who is the #1.... I mean, that would be great if they both were healthy, and performed great...

Controversy sells unfortunately

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh:

Slightly tweaking some minor things isn't really the seismic shift some are pretending. Biggest change so far has been really strong goaltending.

You're clearly out of traction and spinning wheels. Fully exposed and grasping at straws to maintain some sort of narrative going that your opinions have been on target and relevant lately.

Seems like most aren't really responding to you anymore. Perhaps what the now clear majority are saying is correct and you're slowly standing more and more alone to the point where you move on to the main boards like winter soldier did.

I am just trying to be helpful and not mean. Sometimes it has to be said. I get if you think this is wrong or harsh but I am sure most of the mods are reading your takes and not grasping. Pushing something that is not repeatedly is essentially trolling. I sincerely think that's what you are doing.

You know it's over when every post has smiley faces and laughing 😃 things and all that.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022

Slightly tweaking some minor things isn't really the seismic shift some are pretending. Biggest change so far has been really strong goaltending.
You're not going to get much traction here, even if there is truth to it. I seem some minor things, like we've simplified things a bit in breakout/dump in, but overall I would agree. There is just this really weird line in the sand here about Dubas' role building this team that I don't really get, like you can't be in the middle here. You can think he did a good job (even though it's clear that he did) and think BT is also doing a good job (which I think he is, though after year one I was unsure). Like you have to be all in on one or the other, the major pieces of this team are the same, we're plugging the holes the same types of ways we've tried since Shanahan scorched earth us. Even Berube's type of play, we've been here, too.

End of the day, the main players on the ice are still here, we're still plugging around our forwards in the same ways, and we're still looking for deals in net. The biggest change is behind the bench (also we've done that) and I think BT got the defence mix right here (and some includes pieces from previous GMs, too).

Most of the vocal people here though are very all or nothing, it can't be a similar team because they hate Dubas (or they hate BT, that is a two way street).

(Also, we're six games into the year, I don't know we can say that things look vastly different yet or not. It's so early and I don't think Berube has had enough time to fully implement the things he wants to).

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Wow what a horrible take. "Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular."?? I'm not going to go the other way and say they have been spectacular, but anyone that's ever watched hockey will tell you Stolarz has been VERY good, and OEL has also been very good. "Tanev is treading water"?? Wow. Guy's doing exactly what he was brought here for... blocking shots, solid, +4... what more could you want? We are 4-2 and the 2 we lost we could have won just as easily.

You know you are just being argumentative for the sake of arguing when you are reduced to debating the difference between doing well, and doing very good, while agreeing with me they are unspectacular.

I'm done here, you have a nice day.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Stolarz makes me feel a whole lot better about the goaltending than Mr. Glass does, that’s for damn sure…….
Well I think you'll have a hard time finding many people that agree with you about Woll... Hes an incredibly calm presence in net despite still being relatively young for a goalie.

The question has always been whether or not he can stay healthy (which is definitely a big concern). However, when healthy hes been an absolute stud for us and I don't know how you can argue against that.

Woll's playoffs numbers are fantastic while Stolarz has only played 1 NHL playoff game in his career (a loss last year with 3g against in 35 mins).

If both were healthy and we had to start the playoffs today, itd be a toss-up but I'd personally feel slightly more comfortable with Woll in net given he has stolen the starter position the last 2 playoffs and Stolarz hasn't ever started a playoff game.

I'm not taking anything away from Stolarz, he's been fantastic so far... but he's only played 5 games at this point for us so I think this is an overreaction. Right now I'd say he's taken the 1A role while Woll will be 1B when he returns. However, that can change very quickly as it appears we have 2 quality goalies for once.

Instead of pitting them against one another, perhaps be excited about the possibility of having two quality goaltenders at the same time. In the 21st century (23 seasons), the Leafs have had only 3 seasons where both of our goalies had an average or better season. That was 2 years with Andersen + McElhinney and 1 year of Bernier + Reimer.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don’t be naive, how many ‘boomer’ comments do you think I’ve read when it comes to playing tough when people were all up Dubas’ ass with ‘small, fast and skilled’ as if tough players are somehow unskilled and slow?

I’m not being. A small subset of people sending you boomer comments still doesn’t make this a generational issue. There’s a ton of people in young age categories that didn’t like how soft the team was.

I just think all the generational comparison, regardless of who starts it, serves absolutely no one

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Now that we've all had a bit of time to digest from last night's Amazon broadcast:

Did anyone else find last night's audio mix to be so much more crisp and authentic to the in-arena viewing experience, compared to what SN and TSN provide us?

The goal horn sounded like it was in my living room last night. What a fantastic experience.

Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Earschpplittenloudinboomer on the boards again. If the Leafs don't stop it they're going to get a reputation as bullies and nobody will want to play them anymore!

1st Star has to be Anthony Stolarz, plucking that puck off the line gave the Leafs and all the faithful a new level of belief. Don't stop Stolie keep 'er going!

2nd Star the complete 2nd line, constant pressure, constantly creating chances, banging bodies all over the ice, a few goals and a unanimous decision by MaxD. This trio might be a top 10 line in the league

3rd Star by far the most difficult decision, but it gets split between Chris Tanev the tough as nails shot blocking machine and OEL the tough as nails body crushing machine with the feathery soft silky smooth hands. Both of these guys had great nights.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Are you trying to tell me they have been horrible?

Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular. Tanev is treading water being supported by his teammates and his on-ice rel to teammates stats supports that. They've all lived up to their paycheque and are off to a good start and I've already said that.

Hyperbole is a two way street, so if you want to pump their tires a little during this hot streak go right ahead, but let's not pretend that at their age any of these guys are having anything more than a bit of a resurgence in their game.
How anyone can say OEL has been unspectacular is beyond me. Ive been a major critic of this team and for me if you can't see the difference or acknowledge the really solid play of the team thus far or the excellent play of a guy like OEL then I don't think you ever will. Tanev treading water? yikes dude. Yes its early and things could go south but you really arent able to enjoy what we have seen so far? Its a shame because its been pretty damn good.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Good and fun win, and it's been pretty hilarious to see people pretend like things we've always done are so different and better now. :laugh:
Stolarz has been great. He's going to cool off, and I'm a bit worried about the issues he's masking, but enjoying it for now. Hope Woll is good to go tonight.
Holmberg was robbed. That EN goal being called off was ridiculous, as was the two minute 5 on 3.
If you think the team is playing the same as always then I don't know what to tell you....they aren't. Certain non core players are stepping up big time and the vibe is just better/serious. I do think its exposing Keefe as a big part of the problem in the past as Berube in his short time here has already won my respect with some of the decisions he has made. But the new guys Tre has brought in have been just what this team needed....so far.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
thought he really battled tonight in the best way. tough luck on the first goal and Timmins had a really rough night I thought. Benoit can carry a D pairing some nights, it's wild
He's looked really good on the PK as well, getting a lot of minutes at key times. Funny how the forever clueless had him as our 7, he's a nice 5 atm.

Reactions: Sypher04

myleafs

May 25, 2021

I would say berubes line ups and the play of Knies and McMann along with the OEL and Tanev and of course Stolarz has been a pretty big shift from previous years.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Changing the way you break the puck out, transition it through the neutral zone and then what you do at the line (controlled zone entry vs dump-in) is a very big thing. It effects so many other elements like how much speed you generate overall, how much pressure you put on the opposing defence in terms of puck retrievals/absorbing a forecheck, how often you turn the puck over at the opponents blueline leading to odd man rushes the other way.

Reactions: 1specter

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Not to mention finally getting Willy away from JT.
Willy-Domi-McMann has been beautiful to watch. Finally Willy has players who can play at his speed as JT was just too slow. Early going so they haven't been tested yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing defensively as well. Some might have expected that line to get caved in, but they're doing quite well.

Reactions: ACC1224

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Changing the way you break the puck out, transition it through the neutral zone and then what you do at the line (controlled zone entry vs dump-in) is a very big thing. It effects so many other elements like how much speed you generate overall, how much pressure you put on the opposing defence in terms of puck retrievals/absorbing a forecheck, how often you turn the puck over at the opponents blueline leading to odd man rushes the other way.
Exactly. Petrielli also noted in the article how Keefe's system had neutered the team's speed, and it was noticeable over the last couple of years. They seem much quicker in transition now.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad