Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
This isn’t a generational thing, so let’s just stop right there with that nonsense.

Don’t be naive, how many ‘boomer’ comments do you think I’ve read when it comes to playing tough when people were all up Dubas’ ass with ‘small, fast and skilled’ as if tough players are somehow unskilled and slow?

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Tonight will be interesting. In previous years, this is that b perfect let down excuse filled game. Back to back with travel playing a bottom 5 team. I hope they absolutely destroy Columbus

Reactions: Anthrax442

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Anybody who doesn’t see the difference between this years team and last are watching the games with their eyes closed. They’re a tougher team, much better defensively, Tanev and OEL, McMann and Knies beasts, relentless with a lead, 2nd efforts and pursuits, response after losing, and of course great goaltending with Stolarz. Well done boys.
It’s like night and day

Reactions: supermann_98

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
its about developing good habits and then it becomes natural instinct which pays dividends in the playoffs
They’re playing like a team, not a few superstars surrounded by a make shift supporting cast……..

We better sign knies soon because the rate he is improving from game to game has been amazing.
No worries, there’ll be plenty of money once JT and Marner are gone………

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Its amazing when you have goal tending and some solid Defenceman that actual play some D....and they can actually skake and have some hockey IQ. A big step up from the Bear and Edmundson IMHO

Was a solid win

Keep on piling those wins up :)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not gonna lie, Benoit has been fighting it....but man he really is easy to love

he sat someone on their ass and then this, he's such a likeable player
Benny’s been great thus far, heart and soul kind of guy, see how Stolarz’s tap him with his glove after Tampa’s first goal? He was saying “don’t worry Benny, we’ll get that one back and more……..”

97hu6t.jpg
On actually does if it’s past their bedtime………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
loving the aggressiveness they are playing with.

on a side note the amazon broadcast was great; they didn't drown out the crowd like sportsnet does and it didn't sound like a library because when youre there in person it doesnt actually sound like a library
Definitely sounded more alive than the usual broadcast………

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
What a pathetically stupid way to look at things. It is idiotic to give any credence to 'expected'. Reality is what matters, actual results, not stats used when you sim games in NHL '24.

As with all stats, they can be used to suppor what you see but shouldn't be used in isolation.

Do you not agree that Vasi had a bad game and Stolarz had a good game? Stands to reason than thatt the play of the team (outside of goaltending) was closer than the score suggested.

Results are all that matters in the playoffs. However, in the regular season (since this era of Leafs has always been a playoff team)m overall play is nearly as important. Thats why a stat like expected goals has SOME credence as it aims to rvaluate the team outside of the goaltenders.

Would you feel just as confident if all of our wins were from 6-5 games where we got severely outplayed?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Benny’s been great thus far, heart and soul kind of guy, see how Stolarz’s tap him with his glove after Tampa’s first goal? He was saying “don’t worry Benny, we’ll get that one back and more……..”

On actually does if it’s past their bedtime………
Sometimes I ask why is Benoit out there? Then he does his thing, clears the puck, boxes a guy, knocks a guy out of position….then he fumbles around with puck again.

He works hard.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Skill probably isn't taken into consideration.
Kucherov is only 1 player. can't carry everyone.
If you score there is no rebound to inflate the stats.
I didn’t think Tampa played that poorly, Vas had a bad game, but they’re still a good team. They ran into a Leaf team firing on all cylinders, and apparently this year that’s a bad thing for opposing teams……….

He has to be the best free agent signing of the summer.
Woll who?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Amazing what turning up the mic’s can do.
I wonder if Rogers/TSN worries about the language the mic’s might pick up more so than Amazon would.
I’m still not convinced Rogers does their broadcast from the arena. If they do, they’re in a sound proof booth.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Sometimes I ask why is Benoit out there? Then he does his thing, clears the puck, boxes a guy, knocks a guy out of position….then he fumbles around with puck again.

He works hard.
I feel like his on-puck skills have been worse to start the year, but I'm hopeful he'll sort that out. He's definitely got the tools you want in a quality #6 and was great last year.

I'm still hoping Liljegren can come in and help with that 3rd pairing if given a chance... If not (and 3rd pairing doesnt inprove over time), I hope Hakanpaa or a trade can be used to improve the pairing.

Early season, but I'm loving what I see out of the top 4 so far despite some room for improvement. OEL and Tanev look like perfect partners for Rielly and McCabe. It's the 3rd pairing that doesn't install any confidence at the moment.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Someone needs to remind Tanev he isn’t wearing goalie pads. He is a beast.
Love his “just doing my thing” attitude about how impactful those shot blocks are…….

He works hard.
His stick work has vastly improved this year, looks like a windshield wiper on the PK, also lets not forget he’s paired with Timmins who did have a good game last night is still Connor Timmins………

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
All these years and we finally have a team with an emerging identity. The GM and coach know what they want and the players and additions are clearly buying in. This year is a shot in the arm, it is “different” and even the biggest former regime apologist can feel it.

Reactions: William Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad