Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO -- Expected to sign a 1 year deal soon?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't understand this signing.

Is it just so they can have an OGWAC on the team again. I'm sick of seeing them bring in vets who can't contribute anything other than being a positive locker room presence. How about getting vets who are good in the room AND on the ice.

A better idea would be to give the kids an opportunity.

They need more room for growth from young players. All these vets with one foot out the door have no business playing large roles on this team. Like when they signed Thornton it wasn't the dumbest move they could've made.

Playing him on the top line was.

Thornton was given a position he neither earned through his play or deserved through entitlement. An enviable reward for a long illustrious career playing for teams not named the Toronto Maple Leafs. I expect Pacioretty to be given similar red carpet treatment.

Another Leafs sales job on a player on his way out of the NHL.

The young players got an opportunity, they didn't earn a spot because they aren't ready.

Some of them, like Grebonkin are very close but they aren't ready.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
He wasn't brought here for defense
Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.

• Haha
Reactions: Puckstuff

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.

Pacioretty has literally NEVER been in The league for defense.

Every team has players that are pure offense.

Every team has players that are pure defense

Every team has players that give you both.

You aren't getting defense from everybody.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Pacioretty has literally NEVER been in The league for defense.

Every team has players that are pure offense.

Every team has players that are pure defense

Every team has players that give you both.

You aren't getting defense from everybody.
Habs fans were claiming Pacioretty was one of the better defensive wingers in the NHL a few seasons ago.

He’s older now but I don’t view his defence as a problem at all.

Reactions: Insidefi

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Habs fans were claiming Pacioretty was one of the better defensive wingers in the NHL a few seasons ago.

Yup Patches was a respectable 2-way forward in his prime with the Habs. Injuries have slowed him down now so he may as well focus on his biggest advantage which is still his lethal shot. Bigger concern for me is that he's historically not a very good playoff performer, so I wonder how much he moves the needle there, though his numbers with Vegas were respectable.

Reactions: Insidefi

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Yup Patches was a respectable 2-way forward in his prime with the Habs. Injuries have slowed him down now so he may as well focus on his biggest advantage which is still his lethal shot. Bigger concern for me is that he's historically not a very good playoff performer, so I wonder how much he moves the needle there, though his numbers with Vegas were respectable.
He’s probably one of those players you sign to help you get through the grunt of an 82 game regular season but ultimately doesn’t make the playoff roster, especially if they pick up a meaningful player or two at the deadline.

He could prove that thesis wrong though with a good season.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
He’s probably one of those players you sign to help you get through the grunt of an 82 game regular season but ultimately doesn’t make the playoff roster, especially if they pick up a meaningful player or two at the deadline.

He could prove that thesis wrong though with a good season.
Leafs are one of the last teams in the league that need regular season help lol. Playoff spot clinched by end of November.

If he's signed, he's here for depth playoff goals.

Even pre-season MvP Robertson is a goose egg risk when it counts. I don't have that same fear with Pacioretty.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Pacioretty, I’d definitely give him a 1x1 type deal. Perfectly third line winger who’s big, can shoot the puck, not a defensive liability, can throw his body around a little, etc.

Not to mention, Cowan, Holmberg, Steeves, etc have not outplayed him and shown they’re better. Pacioretty in our lineup definitely makes us a better team right now.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Not a fan of signing another old slow player that is a liability on defence. Tre is doing the same crap all our other GMs did.

We should be getting faster and younger but we are getting slower and older.

Did Patch show enough? IMHO he didn’t and it wasn’t even close. I don’t care how low Patch salary is…it’s the roster spot he is taking. We have already Reaves who is a one trick pony that has to be sheltered and is terrible defensively and offers no offence.

Oh wait…he gets a clean slate because he showed up last night.
Imagine if we gave all our players a clean slate every few months because he makes one check or scores 1 goal.

Back to Patch…..if we didn’t sign him he would be sitting on the sidelines like Kessel begging teams to sign him

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
He wasn't brought here for defense

We have too many already here that we’re not brought in for defense. He will be another old slow defensive liability that will have a hard time skating with the top six. If you have him on the 3rd line then you have to shelter him because of his defensive liability and his lack of speed.

Reactions: sxvnert

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We have too many already here that we’re not brought in for defense. He will be another old slow defensive liability that will have a hard time skating with the top six. If you have him on the 3rd line then you have to shelter him because of his defensive liability and his lack of speed.
I’d hardly call him a defensive liability.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not a fan of signing another old slow player that is a liability on defence. Tre is doing the same crap all our other GMs did.

We should be getting faster and younger but we are getting slower and older.

Did Patch show enough? IMHO he didn’t and it wasn’t even close. I don’t care how low Patch salary is…it’s the roster spot he is taking. We have already Reaves who is a one trick pony that has to be sheltered and is terrible defensively and offers no offence.

Oh wait…he gets a clean slate because he showed up last night.
Imagine if we gave all our players a clean slate every few months because he makes one check or scores 1 goal.

Back to Patch…..if we didn’t sign him he would be sitting on the sidelines like Kessel begging teams to sign him
I have to hope that Leafs' management knows a lot more about hockey than I do, because I'm with you here.

Left to my own devices, I would prefer to see younger players come up and develop with the Leafs, and I don't like them cramming their roster with aging vets.

So, what the heck do I know? Maybe it's a good thing that the inmates aren't running the asylum.

Reactions: Da Mash

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

According to the lines at Camp he's not going to be top 6, the top 6 in practice were.

Knies Matthews Marner

Domi Tavares Nylander.

I suspect the 3rd line is Pacioretty Holmberg Robertson, at least that's what it would be for me because Robertson and Pacioretty have looked great together.

Reactions: Da Mash

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
According to the lines at Camp he's not going to be top 6, the top 6 in practice were.

Knies Matthews Marner

Domi Tavares Nylander.

I suspect the 3rd line is Pacioretty Holmberg Robertson, at least that's what it would be for me because Robertson and Pacioretty have looked great together.

Doesn't look like Berube thinks Nylamder can play centre either.

That experiment never seems to last long for some reason. I was actually hoping it would work this time. At $11M they really needed him to be a centre.

Replacing Tavares with Tavares is a really bad idea.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

That experiment never seems to last long for some reason. I was actually hoping it would work this time. At $11M they really needed him to be a centre.

They’ll give it another try next September and it’ll work then.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The reason why the experiment never lasts long is because it doesn't work.

It's tried every year and it fails every year.

The reason it fails is because Nylander is an elite winger but he IS a winger.

Now that Nylander is back on wing the Leafs actually have among the best winger depth in the league.

Marner
Nylander
Knies
Domi
Robertson
Pacioretty
McMann
Jarnkork
Lorentz
Reaves

That's 10 NHL caliber wingers and doesn't include guys like Holmberg who can play all forward positions because I think he starts at center.

In comparison here is the current center depth.

Matthews
Tavares
Holmberg
Kampf.

Top 2 are still excellent, Tavares is getting Older but he's a strong #2 for this season.

Matthews is still only 26/27 he's got another decade.

The issue is the bottom 2 centers.

Kampf and Holmberg, and really just Kampf because I think Holmberg would be a strong 4C.

What you need to do is focus all efforts on finding a 3C preferably one that can eventually become the 2C

I don't care if you do that via the draft, trade or free agency but it needs to be done.

One guy I'd look at is Morgan Frost, There were times last year where Torts didn't seem to be a fan of him so I'd keep an eye on him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I've seen enough of Patches this pre-season to say he isn't really top9 material IMO; no point in losing someone on the waivers to sign patches

time to move on with good asset management practice. Unless you can do a sign and trade with patches and get something back then its all good lol

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I have to hope that Leafs' management knows a lot more about hockey than I do, because I'm with you here.

Left to my own devices, I would prefer to see younger players come up and develop with the Leafs, and I don't like them cramming their roster with aging vets.

So, what the heck do I know? Maybe it's a good thing that the inmates aren't running the asylum.

Im just tired of bringing old and slow players that live off their past reputation. Its just like signing Thornton and Marleau....never was a fan of those signing either. I rather like you said have the young guys play and get some experience.

So now I wonder .....where is our shutdown line? the 3rd line with Patch and Robertson?
It sure wont be the 4th line if Reaves is on it.

Reactions: Ciao

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Im just tired of bringing old and slow players that live off their past reputation. Its just like signing Thornton and Marleau....never was a fan of those signing either. I rather like you said have the young guys play and get some experience.

So now I wonder .....where is our shutdown line? the 3rd line with Patch and Robertson?
It sure wont be the 4th line if Reaves is on it.
Last year Toronto was similar to Florida in team average age.

Last year the oldest team was PIT (who never made the playoffs), and youngest was BUF (also didn't make the playoffs).

It seems to me that if they are adding Patches, Tanev, and OEL, they can probably balance it out with prospects.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I've seen enough of Patches this pre-season to say he isn't really top9 material IMO; no point in losing someone on the waivers to sign patches

time to move on with good asset management practice. Unless you can do a sign and trade with patches and get something back then its all good lol

Pacioretty had 5 points.

I legitimately don't know what you think you saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad