Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO -- Expected to sign a 1 year deal soon?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't understand this signing.

Is it just so they can have an OGWAC on the team again. I'm sick of seeing them bring in vets who can't contribute anything other than being a positive locker room presence. How about getting vets who are good in the room AND on the ice.

A better idea would be to give the kids an opportunity.

They need more room for growth from young players. All these vets with one foot out the door have no business playing large roles on this team. Like when they signed Thornton it wasn't the dumbest move they could've made.

Playing him on the top line was.

Thornton was given a position he neither earned through his play or deserved through entitlement. An enviable reward for a long illustrious career playing for teams not named the Toronto Maple Leafs. I expect Pacioretty to be given similar red carpet treatment.

Another Leafs sales job on a player on his way out of the NHL.
And most those vets take alot of time off on the IR and the kids play too and get to play around them. Did Joe play half a season? So half a season went to a youth which isn't all that bad of a spread. Clearly no one took the job running...

Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.
Who leads in takeaways?

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
The young players got an opportunity, they didn't earn a spot because they aren't ready.

Some of them, like Grebonkin are very close but they aren't ready.
You already know sire and we still got game like spike lee do. Grebenkin might be ready next season so he gon learn from pacioretty. Some talk, some game. Reaves will teach talking too to so many. Reaves is with us because of talking and looking at others eyes. Straight into em.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.

Yeah, you can teach defense, heck even Robertson played some these preseason games.

Kessel?

I'm sure he got better, right?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Pacioretty, I’d definitely give him a 1x1 type deal. Perfectly third line winger who’s big, can shoot the puck, not a defensive liability, can throw his body around a little, etc.

Not to mention, Cowan, Holmberg, Steeves, etc have not outplayed him and shown they’re better. Pacioretty in our lineup definitely makes us a better team right now.

I'm not sure Pacioretty did a lot besides score some goals and earn some assists, but that is what the team lacks in the postseason.

If he can be an add on offense when the playoffs start he's a value add.

If he cannot, then we may be looking at another season where prospects are not given a chance to grow into NHL players, and the team is lamenting the lack of depth once again.

Reactions: Da Mash

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We have too many already here that we’re not brought in for defense. He will be another old slow defensive liability that will have a hard time skating with the top six. If you have him on the 3rd line then you have to shelter him because of his defensive liability and his lack of speed.
He'll become yet another over the hill vet who've they've made countless promises to regarding ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad