Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
At 1.5 I honestly would have passed on Patches unless we have a deal in play for Calle/Kampf

This... and call me crazy, but I can get behind the justification of moving Calle so you can sign Pacioretty. The Leafs have Holmberg and McMann, who do what Jarnkrok does to an extent.

Save $500k along the way, great!

Problem is that the money is delivered in bonus instead of just part of the contract.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What is idiotic about this? Honestly? Are we now just complaining to complain?

Who cares about $600,000 cap charge next year. That’s chump change. We currently have 22+ million conservatively free heading into next year. What is the issue?

Greb, Steves, Quilian, Abruzzese, Cowan, Minten, Pare are not ready to be full time NHLers. Also none of those guys can be relied upon at this point to provide quality depth scoring. Jarnkrok is also injured. And the leafs like Reaves. Max is a good vet who can score. We have lacked goal scoring in the playoffs.

I love our roster. We have a lot depth and people can play up and down. Lorentz and Max P come to our team for nothing more than cap $. Would you have rather paid more draft capital for similar players? At least now once Jarnkrok/Hak is back we can make a legit NHL deal to trade one of Kamp/Jarkrok or Liljegren. The leafs haven’t really been in a position to do that in a while.
People are simply looking for a reason to complain.

Reactions: bax and francis246

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Nice intelligent, safe signing.
Love the games played bonus structure. It’s an excellent insurance plan for a player with his injury history. Could care less about adding a few 100k to next years cap, Marner (Ferris) would just want it anyway so tack on more of that and force him to take a discount.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Signing Pacioretty was always going to be a given contingent on having the cap space available to do so.

Regarding Lorentz - If nothing else, this team now has a F, D and G from the most recent Cup winner that also happens to be a divisional rival.

Reactions: NMacrules

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Team is shaping up nicely. I don't see any holes. Our D is stacked, our Forwards are fairly stacked and I feel confident in net. We have a new hard nosed coach who won't take shit from anyone. Team is much bigger, speed is about the same. And we have 4 or 5 guys who can chuck knuckles. Patches 6'2. Lorentz 6'4. Webber 6'7

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Sucks that we're dipping into next year; but we need secondary scoring pretty badly.

We are clearly high on our medical staff. Perhaps the Klingberg debacle was just life; a swing and a miss.

Hakanpaa and Patches are certainly candidates to outperform their pay if they are healthy. We need all of that we can get.

Reactions: Buds17

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
He's protected 0 people.

Reaves played well in the preseason, I hope it carries over, but pretending like he deters anyone is funny.

I'd post something like this too if I couldn't refute anything that was posted.
I already did- re-read my first post. That is where I stand.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Depends what you’re borrowing for doesn’t it? If it’s the difference between signing an impact player or not, sure. I don’t think anyone else is giving Patch 1.5mil right now with rosters already set, capped out, and players waived, his choices are sign what we give him or sit until someone elsewhere gets injured.

Plus if I’m Robertson I’d be pissed that apparently a injured vet known most for being one of the biggest playoff ghosts in the league is casually going to get offered twice my contract in October.
Screw Robertson and his butt hurt feelings. Should trade the cry baby.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Reaves has not protected a single player on this team.

And if his play just declines?

As a bottom pairing D, he is not proven to be worth 3.5 million, he is a gamble.

Woll was given a contract as if he was proven.

Tre just overpaid him, is he attaching a pick to move the contract he just signed him to?

Not forward thinking, agreed.

This is the same year as every year... we go as far as the core takes us.

They shuffled some chairs and people are eating it up now.

I like the core, so I am fine with it, but the people who wanted big change got nothing and are now being told they changed things and somehow are agreeing with it.
Wow, I have never seen a bigger "sky is falling" and "what ifs" in a post on here ever. Pessimistic much?

Reactions: Bejeezus

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Now I won't be watching many games this year, question my sanity but isn't this a re-run? I've certainly seen this movie before so, at best, I will wait until the closing act if the playoffs are achieved.

That said, these 1-2M deals aren't the problem. The massive $10M+ contracts are. So, if I may suggest, please direct your disdain to the correct issue that remains the issue 8 years later.

This is especially true with an ownership group that fosters an environment of entitled clubhouse players as long as the mantra of "profits are all that matters" is met.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wow, I have never seen a bigger "sky is falling" and "what ifs" in a post on here ever. Pessimistic much?

We are gambling the future for hopeful success in the next couple years, that's all I was pointing out, sorry if you have issues following the discussion.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Surprised we went over a mill for this and I'd much rather pay for production than GP, but oh well. Not a ton of money either way

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Every bit of "chump change" can be the difference between getting the right player and not.

I'm not debating whether they should have signed Pacioretty... I'm simply saying that if they wanted to sign him, and $1.5m was the number they needed in order to do so, then they should have subtracted from other spots on the roster in order to do so -- not start "paying for it next year".

I don't disagree. I would prefer they had just traded one of Kampf or Jarnkrok and fit everyone in that way.

I do find the games played conditions of the bonuses interesting. Patches was rumored at somewhere around 1.1M and took around 300k less, which is half the bonus (600k). I wonder if he doesn't work out if they play him 10 games and then just waive him before 30 games. It seems liked they deferred 300k of his contract until next year and then gave him a 300k bonus for the deferment.

On another note, assuming no one gets a serious injury it looks like one of Kampf, Jarnkrok, or Lil will be traded for the eventual return of Hak and Dewar. I'm curious if that's the GM's choice (maybe waiting for a better trade offer), or if the new coach wants to see a few regular season games with those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad