Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Did anyone see anything from pacioretty that actually warranted a contract? Lol

He has shown some flashes, and I think his shot and decision making are still there.

I question how effective he will be without someone driving the play for him, so we will see where he slots in.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'm quite surprised by the fan reaction to Patches signing.

What gives?

It's not multi year. It's not a bank breaking yearly salary. Has he looked really bad in preseason?

Are we just going on recent history?
For me, it's just that I don't see the point
We already have younger guys in the system who should be able to fill the same role
Patches' age is showing and he's not exactly fleetfooted, and the past 2 seasons sort of concern me

Now, I'm all for bringing in a vet like him with the understanding he won't play all games, and if a kid takes his spot that's that but you still bring him in for leadership and experience
But I don't think we should do that for above league minimum, personally.

I'd also love to be wrong. If Patches comes in and refinds his game from before his injury, I will happily admit I was wrong, but it just seems like we're causing cap problems for something we didn't really need.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's an easy way to borrow from next season's cap. It's not a bad idea.
Depends what you’re borrowing for doesn’t it? If it’s the difference between signing an impact player or not, sure. I don’t think anyone else is giving Patch 1.5mil right now with rosters already set, capped out, and players waived, his choices are sign what we give him or sit until someone elsewhere gets injured.

Plus if I’m Robertson I’d be pissed that apparently a injured vet known most for being one of the biggest playoff ghosts in the league is casually going to get offered twice my contract in October.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The team is trying to win this year. Sometimes you need to take out a mortgage to get what you want today.
The team is trying to win this year and next year. This is unnecessary dead cap.
If it's only 35 games, that's a dumb deal... I haven't seen any media report that number though
It's what Puckpedia says. Half at 10 GP and the other half at 35 GP.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The team is trying to win this year. Sometimes you need to take out a mortgage to get what you want today.
I mean... fans here tried to chase the last GM out of town for that same logic :laugh:

But pretty much always in this cap NHL (barring two years of unexpected flat cap), mortgaging and pushing a financial problem down the road is the better choice

Reactions: Evilhomer

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
We already have younger guys in the system who should be able to fill the same role
Patches' age is showing and he's not exactly fleetfooted, and the past 2 seasons sort of concern me

Now, I'm all for bringing in a vet like him with the understanding he won't play all games, and if a kid takes his spot that's that, but bring him in for leadership and experience

I'd also love to be wrong. If Patches comes in and refinds his game from before his injury, I will happily admit I was wrong, but it just seems like we're causing cap problems for something we didn't really need.

We need depth though, Steeves isn’t an NHL player. Patches isn’t a taking a spot away from someone who really deserves it. Robertson is gonna be in the line up. Everyone else is an AHL player.

Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is honestly idiotic.... like this is not their year. This should be a "reset" year; with the cap opening up a bunch next year.

Know where your team is at and own it... if he wants to make $1.5m, just bite the bullet this year and live with whatever other sacrifices that means to todays roster.

At least if it's guaranteed money you can "absorb" it within LTIR which the Leafs are likely to be in all year anyways.

What is idiotic about this? Honestly? Are we now just complaining to complain?

Who cares about $600,000 cap charge next year. That’s chump change. We currently have 22+ million conservatively free heading into next year. What is the issue?

Greb, Steves, Quilian, Abruzzese, Cowan, Minten, Pare are not ready to be full time NHLers. Also none of those guys can be relied upon at this point to provide quality depth scoring. Jarnkrok is also injured. And the leafs like Reaves. Max is a good vet who can score. We have lacked goal scoring in the playoffs.

I love our roster. We have a lot depth and people can play up and down. Lorentz and Max P come to our team for nothing more than cap $. Would you have rather paid more draft capital for similar players? At least now once Jarnkrok/Hak is back we can make a legit NHL deal to trade one of Kamp/Jarkrok or Liljegren. The leafs haven’t really been in a position to do that in a while.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He’s right he should trade all our future draft picks like his predeccor, now that a future plan!

He traded 6 picks last year.

If mid-picks are worthless to you, that's fine, so were the players we got.

Do you think he will stop trading picks when he runs out of mid-level picks?

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Reaves for 3
Tanev for 6
OEL for 4
Woll when he isn't proven
Liljegren when he isn't proven
Pacioretty with a bonus that will carry over
6 picks at the deadline last year (they were just mid-picks that he used on players who have no future here, so who cares, is Dewar even going to be on the team? He was the best trade)

Not forward thinking... I don't mind some of the moves listed above, but he's signing older players to contracts that will hurt in the following years or he is signing players who are a question mark to multi year deals.
When you have opponents in our own division with the likes of X on the habs and Z on Boston Y = Reeves

Tanev is a warrior, a defensive leader, a true stay at home vet and even though the contract seems long, If he gets injured there is a path the Leafs can take with LTIR.

OEL - another vet who happened to shine for last years stanley cup victory run. He is not a has been and provides depth to our line up

Woll isn't proven but to me it looks like he can supply a great tandem with Stolarz and even with Murray as a third it gives Hildeby time to gain more experience as they view on our tandem of Woll and Stolarz. Plus Tree has added a better D-core imo to help out our end.

Lil most likely gets traded for a pick which clears us 3 mil and maybe that thought was in the bank in order to get a higher pick.

Patches with the bonuses ( which can go over the cap to a max of 7.5% in order for allowing the bonus perfomance) so pretty sure they realize what they can get away with in order to stay cap compliant while also realizing who comes off our books next year to keep the balance.

I feel better going into this year with our line-up of additions and trust what future subtractions that may seem fit as we get closer to the playoffs.

Sure the season never started but starting with the Cheif as our coach, adding Vets and utilizing some of our young guns considering the soft Saulty Greyhounds approch from dumbass is way more intriguring with the inserts that Tree has provided imo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When you have opponents in our own division with the likes of X on the habs and Z on Boston Y = Reeves

Reaves has not protected a single player on this team.

Tanev is a warrior, a defensive leader, a true stay at home vet and even though the contract seems long, If he gets injured there is a path the Leafs can take with LTIR.

And if his play just declines?

OEL - another vet who happened to shine for last years stanley cup victory run. He is not a has been and provides depth to our line up

As a bottom pairing D, he is not proven to be worth 3.5 million, he is a gamble.

Woll isn't proven but to me it looks like he can supply a great tandem with Stolarz and even with Murray as a third it gives Hildeby time to gain more experience as they view on our tandem of Woll and Stolarz. Plus Tree has added a better D-core imo to help out our end.

Woll was given a contract as if he was proven.

Lil most likely gets traded for a pick which clears us 3 mil and maybe that thought was in the bank in order to get a higher pick.

Tre just overpaid him, is he attaching a pick to move the contract he just signed him to?

Patches with the bonuses ( which can go over the cap to a max of 7.5% in order for allowing the bonus perfomance) so pretty sure they realize what they can get away with in order to stay cap compliant while also realizing who comes off our books next year to keep the balance.

Not forward thinking, agreed.

I feel better going into this year with our line-up of additions and trust what future subtractions that may seem fit as we get closer to the playoffs.

This is the same year as every year... we go as far as the core takes us.

Sure the season never started but starting with the Cheif as our coach, adding Vets and utilizing some of our young guns considering the soft Saulty Greyhounds approch from dumbass is way more intriguring with the inserts that Tree has provided imo

They shuffled some chairs and people are eating it up now.

I like the core, so I am fine with it, but the people who wanted big change got nothing and are now being told they changed things and somehow are agreeing with it.

• Haha
Reactions: colchar

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We need depth though, Steeves isn’t an NHL player. Patches isn’t a taking a spot away from someone who really deserves it. Robertson is gonna be in the line up. Everyone else is an AHL player.

Who do you think is in the lineup when everyone is healthy?

Is Pacioretty still here when Jarnkrok and Dewar are ready?

They already had depth, just a question if Pacioretty is better.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Domi, and Knies are all NHLers.

Who are the other 6 out of Robertson, Holmberg, Kampf, Reaves, Lorentz, Pacioretty, Jarnkrok, McMann, and Dewar?

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Reaves has not protected a single player on this team.

And if his play just declines?

As a bottom pairing D, he is not proven to be worth 3.5 million, he is a gamble.

Woll was given a contract as if he was proven.

Tre just overpaid him, is he attaching a pick to move the contract he just signed him to?

Not forward thinking, agreed.

This is the same year as every year... we go as far as the core takes us.

They shuffled some chairs and people are eating it up now.

I like the core, so I am fine with it, but the people who wanted big change got nothing and are now being told they changed things and somehow are agreeing with it.
Reeves has protected and you know that ( I hope) He may be losing ground in his fighting capabilities a bit but will step up to the plate when it is called for. and psst I feel with the addition of Lorenz, he and Reevs will make a great duo...book it.

The rest you just send off some negative disgruntlement it seems and I understand that ( I too have been there before) and it really boils down to what can they do in the playoffs to bust out and bust through without coming off as just a bust, but,...82 games they have to play so I still feel we are better off today than we were last year and yes,...the pressure is on the whole team, the whole organization. Us fans are here for the ride in hopes of accomplishing the shiny toy we call Stan.

We are closer. :)
GLG

Reactions: Eric Bungay and Roo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reeves has protected and you know that ( I hope) He may be losing ground in his fighting capabilities a bit but will step up to the plate when it is called for. and psst I feel with the addition of Lorenz, he and Reevs will make a great duo...book it.

He's protected 0 people.

Reaves played well in the preseason, I hope it carries over, but pretending like he deters anyone is funny.

The rest you just send off some negative disgruntlement it seems and I understand that ( I too have been there before) and it really boils down to what can they do in the playoffs to bust out and bust through without coming off as just a bust, but,...82 games they have to play so I still feel we are better off today than we were last year and yes,...the pressure is on the whole team, the whole organization. Us fans are here for the ride in hopes of accomplishing the shiny toy we call Stan.

We are closer. :)
GLG

I'd post something like this too if I couldn't refute anything that was posted.

Reactions: Skullz

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I'm quite surprised by the fan reaction to Patches signing.

What gives?

It's not multi year. It's not a bank breaking yearly salary. Has he looked really bad in preseason?

Are we just going on recent history?
We have ways too many forwards, and all of them are younger than Patches.

Who do we move out to accomodate him? I'm somewhat okay with it, but he is slow and should be at 775k.

He's protected 0 people.

Reaves played well in the preseason, I hope it carries over, but pretending like he deters anyone is funny.

I'd post something like this too if I couldn't refute anything that was posted.
Yup. He should be moved. There is no universe in which McMann should be scratched for Reaves, and that's with Dewar on LTIR.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What is idiotic about this? Honestly? Are we now just complaining to complain?

Who cares about $600,000 cap charge next year. That’s chump change. We currently have 22+ million conservatively free heading into next year. What is the issue?

Greb, Steves, Quilian, Abruzzese, Cowan, Minten, Pare are not ready to be full time NHLers. Also none of those guys can be relied upon at this point to provide quality depth scoring. Jarnkrok is also injured. And the leafs like Reaves. Max is a good vet who can score. We have lacked goal scoring in the playoffs.

I love our roster. We have a lot depth and people can play up and down. Lorentz and Max P come to our team for nothing more than cap $. Would you have rather paid more draft capital for similar players? At least now once Jarnkrok/Hak is back we can make a legit NHL deal to trade one of Kamp/Jarkrok or Liljegren. The leafs haven’t really been in a position to do that in a while.

Every bit of "chump change" can be the difference between getting the right player and not.

I'm not debating whether they should have signed Pacioretty... I'm simply saying that if they wanted to sign him, and $1.5m was the number they needed in order to do so, then they should have subtracted from other spots on the roster in order to do so -- not start "paying for it next year".

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Now, I'm all for bringing in a vet like him with the understanding he won't play all games, and if a kid takes his spot that's that, but bring him in for leadership and experience

If they thought the kids were ready they'd be playing them, and they know more about their development than you do.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Odds are Patches non existent Achilles explode before game 10 anyway. But, this is a stupid deal for a player we didn’t need, unless we need slow players that disappear in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad