Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I've never been a big fan for the same reasons as others who have felt the same, but I can't see how he's denied a spot on the roster after this camp.

If Berube prefers others over him in the top 9, fine, then trade Nick to a team that will give him that spot. He's earned that much.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can't do much more in a preseason game than be the best player on the ice. I don't think there was ever much doubt that he'd make the team if he was here, but he does have to fight for his coach's confidence and his place in the pecking order for when the opportunities come.

Tbh, unless he takes a massive leap in development this year (fingers crossed) and proves to be a 30g threat, I don't think he's long for the Leafs. He's probably an NHL'er and even a middle sixer, but there's a big difference between a middle sixer on weak team versus a contender. That said, regardless of what his future holds, he's making peanuts this year and having some scoring depth is a great tool to have in the coach's toolbox.

Robertson is a guy that we're all cheering for. He works hard out there and has the pieces to be a player. Hope he does it with us.
I’m agree, I don’t know if he’s a fit on a contender today, but where the Leafs are he’s worth keeping to see what the new coaching staff can do.
Taking a chance on his upside is worth more than what they can get in a trade or if they let him walk.

Reactions: LeafGrief and banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I’m agree, I don’t know if he’s a fit on a contender today, but where the Leafs are he’s worth keeping to see what the new coaching staff can do.
Taking a chance on his upside is worth more than what they can get in a trade or if they let him walk.

Agreed.

In fact, I'd say if Robertson can't be a useful player on the Leafs' roster, then that's on the coaching staff. He's got the tools and the drive, so management has to put him in a position to succeed, or they've wasted an asset.

I've been a fan since he first got some playoff games in back in 2020. I think he can get 25-30 goals this coming year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agreed.

In fact, I'd say if Robertson can't be a useful player on the Leafs' roster, then that's on the coaching staff. He's got the tools and the drive, so management has to put him in a position to succeed, or they've wasted an asset.

I've been a fan since he first got some playoff games in back in 2020. I think he can get 25-30 goals this coming year.
It really boils down to what he can do in the playoffs. It feels like they’re going to re-sign Marner so every player they sign has to help overcome that decision. If Robertson can’t handle the playoffs then 30 goals in the regular season is irrelevant.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo, ON
Kid has something to prove….let him run wild I say.

Legit our 3rd best scorer . And keefe scratched him for game 7 when we CAN’T SCORE

I honestly almost forgot about that…I was already worried about Woll getting injured, but when I heard the morning of game 7 that Robertson was scratched, I sensed dread….

My senses were correct.

Reactions: BTP

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Robertson is ok I guess.

I'm not convinced his sweet sweet shot is enough to make up for his weaknesses in virtually every other aspect of the game. The team has enough offensive stalwarts lacking defensive awareness. And if Robertson was scoring 30+ goals a year while setting up another 30+ in the process he'd be worth keeping around.

His current mediocre level of production isn't enough to sweat losing him though.

I think they're showcasing him for a trade too. It's not just the fact he's an NHL tweener. But also the fact he has a bad attitude.

Even celebrating his goals last night he struck me as almost defiant.

Like when he said he didn't give a f*** what Leafs fans think of him. Could be the whole succeed against all odds attitude engrained in him since birth. Nothing wrong with that so long as the player has the skill to back it up.

But having the attitude of a superstar without all the talent usually makes for a tradeable combination.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Robertson is ok I guess.

I'm not convinced his sweet sweet shot is enough to make up for his weaknesses in virtually every other aspect of the game. The team has enough offensive stalwarts lacking defensive awareness. And if Robertson was scoring 30+ goals a year while setting up another 30+ in the process he'd be worth keeping around.

His current mediocre level of production isn't enough to sweat losing him though.

I think they're showcasing him for a trade too. It's not just the fact he's an NHL tweener. But also the fact he has a bad attitude.

Even celebrating his goals last night he struck me as almost defiant.

Like when he said he didn't give a f*** what Leafs fans think of him. Could be the whole succeed against all odds attitude engrained in him since birth. Nothing wrong with that so long as the player has the skill to back it up.

But having the attitude of a superstar without all the talent usually makes for a tradeable combination.

You have been wrong everytime you post for like a year and a half. You do realize Robertson has been playing primarily against NHL goalies and NHL line ups this entire pre season. He’s a young player who needs time with other offensive players. He’s not a fourth line guy. If guys like Stankoven and Point for example can transfer their ability from junior to the NHL so can Robertson. He’s just as tenacious as them and Berube finally has him understanding how to channel that tenacity in the right way and not just wildly buzzing. Robertson’s issue was 100% coaching and I love that he has a little f*** you world attitude. This team needs that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Robertson made the team. He’s done almost everything they’ve hoped he’d do from signing cheap to paying attention in his own end of the rink.

He has some flaws, but his shot is too good to pass up.

Reactions: rumman

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I think that given a real stretch of good playing time he will settle into a strong player, confident of his defensive side and a plus on the other end, making other teams worry rather than taking advantage of his defence.
OR. Hie energy level drops after the playing stretch and his career is over.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Robertson made the team. He’s done almost everything they’ve hoped he’d do from signing cheap to paying attention in his own end of the rink.

He has some flaws, but his shot is too good to pass up.

Exactly he was 2nd on the team in goals per 60 last season while playing some of the lowest minutes on the team. He’s at least a 20 goal scorer and can replace Bertuzzi’s goals if given the ice time. He should honestly be on PP1

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
He's obviously made the team. But beyond that, I think the organization should be looking to rebuild and strengthen the relationship.

Reactions: rumman

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Is this the part where we start pretending he was always this good? By all means, he’s having a phenomenal preseason and looks poised to really break out this year, but he just turned 23, he’s clearly had a great summer and worked on his shortcomings. What a boon for him and the team, but it doesn’t go back in time and make him better as a 21-22 year old.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
He's obviously made the team. But beyond that, I think the organization should be looking to rebuild and strengthen the relationship.
If he plays well enough to earn an everyday shift in the top 9 all year, that’ll sort itself out and all will be forgiven by both. Means he’s getting the ToI he wants and the Leafs are getting the two way play they want. Goals aren’t a concern.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Is this the part where we start pretending he was always this good? By all means, he’s having a phenomenal preseason and looks poised to really break out this year, but he just turned 23, he’s clearly had a great summer and worked on his shortcomings. What a boon for him and the team, but it doesn’t go back in time and make him better as a 21-22 year old.

Agreed. The 21-22 year old did show enough that this pre-season performance is not shocking. He always showed flashes and certainly had the OHL results.

Was this possibly a very handled negotiation by the Leafs? They got him at low cost, probably motivated him even more, and took the high road in the media, etc.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
No way - are you telling me the 21 year old with an elite skillset actually improved over time as he turned 23? Who could've seen that coming!

I see what you're saying, but I can't stand this talking point. The guy was on a 20+ goal pace last year in limited minutes with almost no power play time last year, and critics picked apart his weaknesses and shortcomings as if he were a 29 year old veteran. I don't think any of his proponents ever argued he was a perfect player at 21, but it's just so obvious that he has a skillset that needs to be leveraged. Not only is the guy still in his early 20s, he had his development stunted by covid and injuries and it should come as a shock ***to no one*** that he's now starting to blossom.

I've said it all along - trading Robertson for pennies serves absolutely no purpose; not only does he have the most tantalizing goalscoring ability of anyone in the organization besides 34 and 88, but he also has a motor and a compete level that the rest of the team could probably learn from.

The goal at this point needs to be putting him in every position to succeed this year, and working to mend the relationship. I don't think the organization has done wrong by him, but they need to make it clear that he's a part of the future and has a place here.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Looks like he's listening to Berube, focusing on improving his play on both ends of the ice and still scoring. More to clean up in his game, but this takes time. He should have a big season this year. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad