Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Robertson (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Watching smart veteran decisions from a washed Pacioretty makes you realize how over-rated 1-dimensional shooters who don't make their line mates better are. Robertson contributes to unstructured play styles.

I won't lose any sleep if Robertson doesn't make the roster. Easily replaceable. You can get better value from PTO players in todays game.

Pacioretty might have played his best game for the Leafs already.

I don't think Robertson has.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Watching smart veteran decisions from a washed Pacioretty makes you realize how over-rated 1-dimensional shooters who don't make their line mates better are. Robertson contributes to unstructured play styles.

I won't lose any sleep if Robertson doesn't make the roster. Easily replaceable. You can get better value from PTO players in todays game.
PTO players don’t shoot the puck like Robertson.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Are you implying that Patches is going to regress now?

I am implying that the first game he played with us was great and he may not have a better game.

I was saying Robertson may be better than him this year, and likely will be better for the Leafs moving forward as Pacioretty will be 36 shortly.

It isn't a knock on Pacioretty, he's older and is a solid complimentary player and secondary scoring, I am excited to see what he can do, he's looked better than expected so far.

The original comment was saying Robertson is easily replaceable because of players like Pacioretty, just disagree with that statement.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Only in leaf land will a team keep a older player like Patch coming off injury and deal a young kid who scored 14 goals in 56 games while playing 11 mins a game.

I like Robertson....would I trade him for a suitable young player? Sure if it makes sense. Its going to be hard for him to crack the top six here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only in leaf land will a team keep a older player like Patch coming off injury and deal a young kid who scored 14 goals in 56 games while playing 11 mins a game.

I like Robertson....would I trade him for a suitable young player? Sure if it makes sense. It’s going to be hard for him to crack the top six here.
This isn’t unique to the Leafs, any team that considers itself a contender looks to add proven vets who can score.
Both will make the team anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Three years in a row Robertson has been one of the best at camp. I love his hunger, plenty of guys fail with these opportunities. He's making the coaches take notice. I note too, Berube is already praising his "motor".

He also ask for a trade even before being signed, as a player that doesn't want to be here.

He still might be seeking a trade as his position might not have changed, and his current effort is an attempt to up his own resume in efforts to drum up trade possibilities.

Robertson had requested a trade earlier this summer after an inconsistent 2023-24 season where he simply could not stay in the lineup long enough to prove to Sheldon Keefe that he belonged in the NHL. However, under Berube, Robertson seems like he'll receive a fair shake and a legitimate chance at a full-time job with the Leafs. Unfortunately, that job may not be a guaranteed top-6 spot, as Seravalli had alluded to, so it will be interesting to see whether or not Robertson will renew his trade request if it looks like he'll end up starting the season in the bottom-6.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I actually feel the opposite. He's not great defensively but he can spot duty 1C here and there and also be a 3rd line winger. Quite versatile.
Moving to different lines/positions doesn't change that he plays the same one dimensional game in all of them.
And if Domi is your 1C, things have gone very, very wrong.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Moving to different lines/positions doesn't change that he plays the same one dimensional game in all of them.
And if Domi is your 1C, things have gone very, very wrong.
If my memory serves me correctly, we won a few playoff games with Domi as our 1C last year. That's versatility.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Patches makes the team it shouldn’t be at the cost of Robertson, Robertson is a cost effective player, others not so much……

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If my memory serves me correctly, we won a few playoff games with Domi as our 1C last year. That's versatility.
He was there because things did go very very wrong and then we made a stupid decision. You should remember that we won a couple playoff games because Woll stood on his head, not because Domi played well. Besides, you're still arguing versatility, but versatility doesn't really have anything to do with being one-dimensional. It's about the way he plays, not where he's doing it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 10.23.05 AM.png

That is why the Leafs went to 7 last year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He also ask for a trade even before being signed, as a player that doesn't want to be here.

He still might be seeking a trade as his position might not have changed, and his current effort is an attempt to up his own resume in efforts to drum up trade possibilities.
Was he really "inconsistent" last year or did Keefe bury him every routine error? Look at his production with no PP time, no rythmn with regard to consistent minutes, by any measure he extracted good production from sorry usage imo. I'd argue Knies was more inconsistent last year actually, but he was a lock. Robbie was held to a different standard by Keefe, give this kid 16 minutes a night with real partner and some PP time, I think he's a keeper. Defensively too, much improving.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Jarnkrok and Kampt Along with Lilly are players I’d try to move……

Treliving disagrees with you or he messed up by signing two of those players, one within the last few months.

We are going to have a lot of money sitting in the pressbox, that seems like a bigger issue if people are concerned about the cap.

Who are they trying to sign/trade for anyway, why do we need this cap right now?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
View attachment 910506

That is why the Leafs went to 7 last year.
It was just one example. There's many others, like, him filling in for Mitch as the 1RW for a month and excelling in that position. He also overtook JT as 2C for awhile last season. This also doesn't include the toughness that he brings which has been a black hole in our top 6 for years. We were originally comparing him to Robertson and I'm just saying he brings so much more than a one dimensional winger that needs top 6 minutes.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It was just one example. There's many others, like, him filling in for Mitch as the 1RW for a month and excelling in that position. He also overtook JT as 2C for awhile last season. This also doesn't include the toughness that he brings which has been a black hole in our top 6 for years. We were originally comparing him to Robertson and I'm just saying he brings so much more than a one dimensional winger that needs top 6 minutes.

He plays with toughness after the whistle, he doesn't make anyone scared they will get hit or roughed up during the play.

Robertson is better defensively.

If Robertson is one dimensional, so is Domi, he just is one dimensional in multiple positions on the ice.

I like Domi, glad we have him, but he is an offensive forward who is primarily a playmaker and bad defensively, he can play C or W, and he doesn't hit, but will fight.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
We should hold onto Robertson, there is upside there for us. Not sure about the cap situation but looking at names, I suspect we may just put Dewar on LTIR and sign Patches and Lorentz to a league min deal. Reaves and Lorentz start in the press box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad