Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Timothy Liljegren to extension (2 years, $3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He's trending to become a fairly solid 2nd pair defenseman with some offense. Just needs to stay healthy.

Liljegren is a solid bet to eventually become a top 4 d-man even if he isn't now imo. He has the ability and the tools, but he hasn't figured things out yet as soon as we would hope.

But he's the kind of guy where at some point, probably in his late 20s/early 30s, it will just suddenly click for him and he becomes one of those steady veterans that plays in the league into their late 30s. This happens especially with guys who were initially supposed to be offensive defensemen, but had to reinvent themselves as either 2-way or defensive defensemen types. I'm reminded of guys like Ron Haisney and Roman Hamrlik, or closer to home a guy like Stralman in terms of their career trajectories.

The problem is that breakout usually happens with other teams, since the player has not done enough to warrant being extended longterm, and by then they've reached their UFA years.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
gotta factor in the expiring contracts like Brodie, Gio, Klingberg, Murray, etc....

I am almost positive Jarnkrok is going to be dealth thats an addditional 2.1 million (unless Tre for some reason thinks Jarnkrok is the answer to Leafs' abysmal PK).

Marner's cap hit is ruining everything IMO. So we gotta at least wait a year. If was Tre I would be forcing the issue with Marner LOL
My only hope is he’s part of a package moved in the Marner deal……..

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Keefe loved Jarnkrok and he did fill multiple roles. BUT, once again, like his entire career, does nothing come playoffs. I’m fine with trading him. Ditto Kampf.

unfortunately kampf would still be around for now depending on what Dewar is getting.

Our centers so far are:
Matthews
Tavares
Holmberg/Dwwar
Kampf

Jarnkrok has gotta be traded. He wasn't as good on PK and doesn't really do much 5on5 either IMO. We can fill the winger spot with Minten/Cowan to get more offense

Domi-Matthews-XXX
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Dewar-Marner(i want marner gone btw)
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves
Minten

if Bert is signed to a reasonable deal to slide next to Matthews great if not bump up RW and get Cowan

I think rest of the cap (+Jarnkrok) would be used for goalie tandem

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I still have some faith in Lilly. 3 million per season seems a bit rich though.

I think Tre is going to sign Tanev but maybe knows he's striking out on some bigger names.

Kind of disappointing.

Leafs really need to make a couple trades to shore up some other areas. Still all summer so all good.

Reactions: aingefan and arso40

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
unfortunately kampf would still be around for now depending on what Dewar is getting.

Our centers so far are:
Matthews
Tavares
Holmberg/Dwwar
Kampf

Jarnkrok has gotta be traded. He wasn't as good on PK and doesn't really do much 5on5 either IMO. We can fill the winger spot with Minten/Cowan to get more offense

Domi-Matthews-XXX
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Dewar-Marner(i want marner gone btw)
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves
Minten

if Bert is signed to a reasonable deal to slide next to Matthews great if not bump up RW and get Cowan

I think rest of the cap (+Jarnkrok) would be used for goalie tandem
Don’t mind Domi in the two hole, JT the three. He was great on the dot too as the season went on. Holmberg can play center too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ah man. You had me all the way until the end. Robertson is a dime-a-dozen prospect that every team has.
Ya.... for sure. 34th in the league in points/60. 16th in the league in goals/60 Every team has players who score like that.

This team has problems scoring at the right time, but hey.. let's dump the kid who routinely puts up goals and points... we need more grit right?

:laugh:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What was the constant? An inept coach and leadership group.
Yep it’s always someone else’s problem he gets manhandled and can’t win a board battle. Poor kid never stood a chance. Just look at Benoit when he came here and actually stole a job.

Reactions: Ports

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Don’t mind Domi in the two hole, JT the three. He was great on the dot too as the season went on. Holmberg can play center too.

I'd rather Domi stick with Matthews.

It would be nice to see high AAV drive offense and make lesser AAV players productive instead of having high AAV forwards always play with each other for stat padding. We gotta manufacture depth given the cap constraints we have.

Marner out solves a lot of issues, but until that happens we MUST put the 3 amigos (matthesws, nylander, marner) on 3 different lines to drive their lines

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What was the constant? An inept coach and leadership group.
And a player who can’t put it together, everyone’s had bad bosses, that no reason for giving him a hall pass. If I’m Benoit and I see this stiff making twice as much while mailing it in, well that ain’t good……..

Reactions: Al14 and Ports

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Yuck.

Cap increase 4.5m

Willie +4.5m
Matty +1.161m
Domi +0.75
Lily +1.675
Woll +3m (next year)

Total $8.541 in raises alone (so $4m fewer dollars for the rest)
Woll's # is irrelevant since it doesn't hit next season. When it does, JT's $11 million is gone.

Reactions: ToneDog

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Ya.... for sure. 34th in the league in points/60. 16th in the league in goals/60 Every team has players who score like that.

This team has problems scoring at the right time, but hey.. let's dump the kid who routinely puts up goals and points... we need more grit right?

:laugh:
This is where reading an excel sheet vs watching is shown.

The player can’t stay on his skates, it’s constantly bullied off the puck, can’t shadow his assignments and can’t stay healthy.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He was sat out the last two years in the playoffs. Only hope is Berube helps him take another step.

So which is it, Keefe was an idiot who failed to get the most of the roster or he made the right decisions when it counts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad