Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
LTIR roulette but the AAV is low enough there is not really a downside. He is a pretty useful player when healthy. They may need to put him in mothballs until the playoffs to take advantage of that.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
LTIR roulette but the AAV is low enough there is not really a downside. He is a pretty useful player when healthy. They may need to put him in mothballs until the playoffs to take advantage of that.
I have no problem sitting him for half the season or 3 quarters of it if he's able to get some games in before the playoffs and then contribute in the post season it will be a worthwhile signing. Having a 6'7 guy fill in for an injury is a good thing if he can play. He's perfect for a rough playoff series.

Reactions: Metroid

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Based on the poor cap management for the past 8 yrs it’s what they have to do.

They can’t go into a season with 1/2 a dozen unanswered question. We all know they’ll never get a positive answer on ever question.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Based on the poor cap management for the past 8 yrs it’s what they have to do.

They can’t go into a season without 1/2 a dozen unanswered question. We all know they’ll never get a positive answer on ever question.

If this guy is on LTIR the whole season and is activated for Game 1 of the playoffs... how is really any more mismanagement than a Mark Stone classic in Vegas?

Say Hakanpaa is our deadline acquisition but didn't cost draft picks like Lyubushkin x2, Schenn or Edmundson, and instead we traded our little draft capital for forward scoring depth...

Seems like a sneaky okay deal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If this guy is on LTIR the whole season and is activated for Game 1 of the playoffs... how is really any more mismanagement than a Mark Stone classic in Vegas?

Say Hakanpaa is our deadline acquisition but didn't cost draft picks like Lyubushkin x2, Schenn or Edmundson, and instead we traded our little draft capital for forward scoring depth...

Sure, why not. It fits the plan…..maybe not plan but it fits in with what the Leafs do.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
hyaluronic acid knee injections if he's not already getting them. Treatment has come a long way since Bobby Orr.
A friend of mine gets rooster comb injections ( as you say, hyaluronic acid knee injections) in essentially the same type of problem in his ankle. Bone on bone. Gets a shot then he’s good for a few months. It’s like there is no problem. Except he keeps waking up the neighbourhood at the crack of dawn.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So is this happening or what? Because either way it's all good, either they add a quality bottom pair D.

Or supposedly the contract is not registered with the league yet so he's not officially a Leaf so they cancel the signing and save the 1.5 million, there is no real loss here

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So I went to cap friendly and then I went to Puck Pedia.

Cap friendly has the Leafs just over 1.5 million above the cap.

Puck Pedia has the Leafs 180K below the cap, both have Hakanpaa on the roster.

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Same thing with Washington.

Cap friendly has Washington 13 million over the cap.

Puck Pedia has then 14 million over the cap.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
So I went to cap friendly and then I went to Puck Pedia.

Cap friendly has the Leafs just over 1.5 million above the cap.

Puck Pedia has the Leafs 180K below the cap, both have Hakanpaa on the roster.

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Same thing with Washington.

Cap friendly has Washington 13 million over the cap.

Puck Pedia has then 14 million over the cap.

CapFriendly appears to be using a roster of 24 including Webber and Murray.

Puckpedia shows 22.

Both have Timmins and Mermis on the roster which, barring injury, seems unlikely.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Bone on bone isn’t good, but plenty of people can function without cartilage in the knee, it’s arthritis developing that’s the real problem with bone on bone……..
Amen, coming from a guy with 2 TKRs done at the same time in 2018. I spent a good deal of time talking with my surgeon about the type of device that would allow me to play tennis and golf for as long as possible. So far, so good, and the recovery time wasn't that bad, but I seriously doubt that they would withstand the requirements of playing high level hockey. Does anyone know if there are devices that would allow someone to play? Is there anyone playing contact sport at a high level who has had a total knee replacement as I can't think of one.

Reactions: rumman

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
The amount of injury that would require regardless of Hakanpaa makes it damn near impossible

I could see them carrying Mermis as an extra if Hakanpaa can't go. Mermis has some decent NHL experience from last season. This might depend on them being able to afford it once Dewar and (maybe) Robertson sign.

If both sign and Hakanpaa is on the opening day roster, there's a good chance we would need to waive Reaves.

I think Timmins is waived. Possibly picked up, possibly by Dubas.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I have no problem sitting him for half the season or 3 quarters of it if he's able to get some games in before the playoffs and then contribute in the post season it will be a worthwhile signing. Having a 6'7 guy fill in for an injury is a good thing if he can play. He's perfect for a rough playoff series.

i would sit him for the full season and playoffs

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

It’s exactly like Vegas ( cup winners) so let’s do it..

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If he signs, and plays, and regains his form, he'll be paid less than some bottom pairing defensemen that perform equal or worse, and more than some bottom pairing defensemen that perform equal or better. His impact will be about the amount he is paid, which is the same as the amount he was past last time. In other words, a pretty average contract. Hopefully the injury smoke is just more nonsense from Simmons, and not Treliving fumbling his injury risk assessments again.
I’m pretty sure you know this but Treliving doesn’t make the injury risk assesment, the doctors and medical team does, just sayin

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Hakanpaa would most likely be a dogshit player after sitting out for over a year

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I’m pretty sure you know this but Treliving doesn’t make the injury risk assesment, the doctors and medical team does, just sayin
Well, no. The medical team informs the GM on the player's current state, and then the GM makes a decision. Treliving is the one deciding to overpay players for what they used to be prior to injury-related declines. Treliving is the one deciding to sign multiple players to term through heavy decline/injury years. Treliving is the one still potentially signing a guy to term that we all now know has no knees.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Amen, coming from a guy with 2 TKRs done at the same time in 2018. I spent a good deal of time talking with my surgeon about the type of device that would allow me to play tennis and golf for as long as possible. So far, so good, and the recovery time wasn't that bad, but I seriously doubt that they would withstand the requirements of playing high level hockey. Does anyone know if there are devices that would allow someone to play? Is there anyone playing contact sport at a high level who has had a total knee replacement as I can't think of one.
I’ve had my ACL and MCL torn on one knee and only have the bucket handle portion of my cartilage left, that knee’s a mess. My other knee I ruptured my patella tendon, knee cap was halfway up my thigh after the tear, luckily I was rushed into surgery, Dr. Said the tear was so bad it was like sewing two mop ends together and although the rehab was slow and painful I couldn’t be more happy with the results. I watched plenty of people rehabbing their knee replacement surgery, that’s tough love, I bet they had you walking hours after the surgery, here I was with a half pound sandbag on my foot trying to get 5 reps of lifting in and all these people are doing wall squats days after having their knees replaced……….

Reactions: meefer

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
The medical team informs the GM on the player's current state, and then the GM makes a decision.
Is this the same medical team that advised Dubas and Tre about Murray and Klingberg before their acquisitions? I know both were healthier when they first got here but both were risky. I wonder what they told Tre about Reaves' knees? it time for a new medical team?

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Well, no. The medical team informs the GM on the player's current state, and then the GM makes a decision. Treliving is the one deciding to overpay players for what they used to be prior to injury-related declines. Treliving is the one deciding to sign multiple players to term through heavy decline/injury years. Treliving is the one still potentially signing a guy to term that we all now know has no knees.
Dam he sounds a lot like Dubas and his goaltending choices and all the old guys he signed.

That aside what if the medical team give the thumbs up to the guy, should Dubas disregard theIr advice

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’ve had my ACL and MCL torn on one knee and only have the bucket handle portion of my cartilage left, that knee’s a mess. My other knee I ruptured my patella tendon, knee cap was halfway up my thigh after the tear, luckily I was rushed into surgery, Dr. Said the tear was so bad it was like sewing two mop ends together and although the rehab was slow and painful I couldn’t be more happy with the results. I watched plenty of people rehabbing their knee replacement surgery, that’s tough love, I bet they had you walking hours after the surgery, here I was with a half pound sandbag on my foot trying to get 5 reps of lifting in and all these people are doing wall squats days after having their knees replaced……….
What we do to ourselves in the name of sport :laugh: at least for me. It catches up with you in the end, but I'm a happy camper. Had them done here by a Thai surgeon who I'd 'scoped' out prior to seeing if I could get it done back in Toronto. My guy there told me it would be 3 months before I was on the table. It was a short visit. Back home in Bkk and 3 days later... Hope all is going well with the knees. Mine are doing fine. Cheers.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What we do to ourselves in the name of sport :laugh: at least for me. It catches up with you in the end, but I'm a happy camper. Had them done here by a Thai surgeon who I'd 'scoped' out prior to seeing if I could get it done back in Toronto. My guy there told me it would be 3 months before I was on the table. It was a short visit. Back home in Bkk and 3 days later... Hope all is going well with the knees. Mine are doing fine. Cheers.
Getting old isn’t for sissies, that’s for damn sure…….

• Haha
Reactions: meefer and Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
CapFriendly appears to be using a roster of 24 including Webber and Murray.

Puckpedia shows 22.

Both have Timmins and Mermis on the roster which, barring injury, seems unlikely.
24 is the correct roster until they put players on waivers to send them to the Marlies. I wonder if Murray will make it through?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is this the same medical team that advised Dubas and Tre about Murray and Klingberg before their acquisitions? I know both were healthier when they first got here but both were risky. I wonder what they told Tre about Reaves' knees? it time for a new medical team?

I doubt the medical team examined the player and only reviewed the records and consulted with the previous teams medical staff. Which should be good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad