Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jake McCabe to an extension (5 years - 4.51M AAV)

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The chances Brad is still here in 6 years are pretty low, Brad dont care about 2030, Brad cares about the next 3 to 4 years...not saying it's the best approach , just that Brad cares about the Brad years.

He also realizes that over the next 4-5 years AM, Mitch & Willie will start to decline and therefore the window will be closing.

(Although the most pessimistic among us will suggest that when those guys are gone the window actually opens ... but that's a whole other conversation.)

Reactions: Hellcat

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That's a tidy bit of business, no question he could have got more. Good on McCabe, good on Treliving. Love it.

If you're complaining about this one, time for a life reset lol.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In isolation - love the deal, and the AAV.

Big picture - exact same concerns I had with the Muzzin extension, I have here. That's a lot of term and money for a guy that plays a really heavy brand of hockey.

That Leafs blueline has a lot of money and term now committed to a lot of older guys - the pain is going to come here, sooner or later.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

View attachment 922778

Ridiculous price to pay for a #4 level Dman !!!!

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.
Personally, I feel this was Dubas’ best trade while here. We got term, cap relief, and we haven’t even paid Chicago those picks yet.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
OEL - UFA at 36
Rielly - UFA at 36
Tanev - UFA at 40
McCabe - UFA at 36

This D core is going to be so old moving forward...

Mixed feelings about the signing because I like McCabe... just a very old D core.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The chances Brad is still here in 6 years are pretty low, Brad dont care about 2030, Brad cares about the next 3 to 4 years...not saying it's the best approach , just that Brad cares about the Brad years.

We should probably employ GMs who care about the future of the Leafs...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
We should probably employ GMs who care about the future of the Leafs...

Sure but lets not be naive, GM's know their shelf life is at most 4 to 6 years, do we want them to have a 20 year outlook, sure, but they all want to win and will sacrifice the future to do so. they are only concerned about the time/duration they think they will be employed by that team, knowing their shelf life is normally short, they will manage to that short window,

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
OEL - UFA at 36
Rielly - UFA at 36
Tanev - UFA at 40
McCabe - UFA at 36

This D core is going to be so old moving forward...

Mixed feelings about the signing because I like McCabe... just a very old D core.
Enjoy the present man.

OEL - 33
Rielly - 30
Tanev - 34
McCabe - 31

These guys will be LTIR'd or traded for a mid round pick in year 4 or 5.

Trading away OEL or McCabe at 36 with 1 year left and 3.5 or 4.5 will not be hard and the cap will have increased even more.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Enjoy the present man.

OEL - 33
Rielly - 30
Tanev - 34
McCabe - 31

These guys will be LTIR'd or traded for a mid round pick in year 4 or 5.

Trading away OEL or McCabe at 36 with 1 year left and 3.5 or 4.5 will not be hard and the cap will have increased even more.

4 D past their prime... I plan on being a Leafs fan for longer than 4 years, so it'd be nice to have a GM that thinks past the current year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sure but lets not be naive, GM's know their shelf life is at most 4 to 6 years, do we want them to have a 20 year outlook, sure, but they all want to win and will sacrifice the future to do so. they are only concerned about the time/duration they think they will be employed by that team, knowing their shelf life is normally short, they will manage to that short window,

So don't hire GMs who you think will ruin the team for the next GM?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

View attachment 922778

Ridiculous price to pay for a #4 level Dman !!!!

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.
I see your point, but perhaps Toronto won't have to look for a top 4 D next season.

I think we just locked up our final top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad