Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jake McCabe to an extension (5 years - 4.51M AAV)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

1730125610609.png

Ridiculous price to pay for a #4 level Dman !!!!

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What does that mean he deferred money from years 2 and 3? How did it help lower the cap?

Basically paying money after the contract expires. This goes into detail:

Teams and players can include deferred compensation in a contract as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Some key notes:

• The compensation needs to be tied to a season in the contract when it is earned. A portion of the contract cannot be just generally deferred; it needs to be a portion of the payment earned during a specific season that is deferred.
  • The deferred compensation needs to be paid after the contract expires for it to be considered deferred

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Man, I love Jake McCabe. Great to see him stick around longer!

Any news on the NTCs/NMCs in the contract…

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

View attachment 922778

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.
Solid plus/minus though! :laugh:

Last edited:

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Not sure how anyone could not like this.
The AAV is okay but I don't like committing to this already old D corps for so long. The odds that none of Rielly, Tanev, OEL and McCabe have their play drop off in 2-3 years are pretty low.

Having said that, I would have skipped on OEL given the choice.

Reactions: cyris

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

View attachment 922778

Why are the Leafs going after another top 4 dman next summer?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Team did good here, especially using deferred money.

I was expecting him to get close to this deal +inflation. So seeing it come a bit less under is nice. He seemingly took a bit less than he probably could have gotten in free agency which is always nice to see. He's always been a likes me guy since he was acquired by the team.

There's a few concerns about the eventual age of the D in a few years, but there's time to adjust as things go

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't know how to feel about it, giving that length of contract for any Dman, particularly one who plays with a decent amount of physicality usually age like milk.

Also, I'd prefer if they didn't commit any future cap space on current players until after the season.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Nothing to hate here. AAV is nice, below expectations. Takes him to 36 which is perfect because it's around 35-37 that defenceman can drop off a cliff. He's a warrior, we need more of that.

I'm happy Dubas is gone or else we'd also hear about his 29 team modified no trade clause.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The horrible McCabe trade could only be made worse by a horrible McCabe extension.

Which Treliving went and did exactly that. Never one to shy away from handing out a deal to a player expected to decline Treliving delivers once again. He just loves his gritty grizzled vets in the back end.

Whether they're actually any good at hockey is besides the point.

Another raise from Brad "deep pockets" Treliving. Can't see poor McCabe go without after everyone else cashed in. I bet McCabe got a NMC of some sort too.

Treliving just loves painting himself into a corner.

I'm not knocking McCabe here either. It's not his fault Treliving just HAS to give everyone a sweetheart deal. But the Leafs are now locked into this exact same not good enough, and declining, defense for the duration of the Matthews contract.

That's not McCabe's fault but the GM who signed him.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013

View attachment 922778

You're a strange lad

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The horrible McCabe trade could only be made worse by a horrible McCabe extension.

Which Treliving went and did exactly that. Never one to shy away from handing out a deal to a player expected to decline Brad Treliving delivers once again. He just loves his gritty grizzled vets in the back end.

Whether they're actually any good at hockey is besides the point.

Another raise from Brad "deep pockets" Treliving. Can't see poor McCabe go without after everyone else cashed in. I bet McCabe got a NMC of some sort too.

Treliving just loves painting himself into a corner.

I'm not knocking McCabe here either. It's not his fault Treliving just HAS to give everyone a sweetheart deal. But the Leafs are now locked into this exact same not good enough, and declining, defense for the duration of the Matthews contract.

That's not McCabe's fault but the GM who signed him.
I probably would have let him leave as a UFA after this season, but it's not a terrible deal. Almost certainly less than what a comparable player would cost in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad