Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jake McCabe to an extension (5 years - 4.51M AAV)

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Not a fan of giving out retirement contracts to older players …especially when you have Rielly , Tanev and OEL here already getting theirs.

Tre is making the team older and slower.

I like McCabe tho

Does Rielly have a NMC? We have him to 2030 …and he won’t be getting better.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You said it's good if he doesn't fall off a cliff. Which is exactly what he will do. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the verbiage.

I think they're all gonna fall off a cliff, and it wouldn't surprise me if it starts this year, with at least one of them going downhill as fast as Tavares by next year.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
The one thing that might save this deal in a vacuum is that the guy has never gone on long playoff runs, and he will continue to not do so. That will help him age better. Now personally, I would prefer the Leafs make moves that make long playoff runs more likely but that's just me.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Not a fan of giving out retirement contracts to older players …especially when you have Rielly , Tanev and OEL here already getting theirs.

Tre is making the team older and slower.

I like McCabe tho

Does Rielly have a NMC? We have him to 2030 …and he won’t be getting better.
Agreed. The deal itself may look fine, however, in the context of the team, it isn't.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don’t hate it, fair deal for both sides, lets hope there’s no regression in the latter part if the deal……..

Reactions: bax

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

View attachment 922778

Ridiculous price to pay for a #4 level Dman !!!!

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.
lol so much wrong with this entire post

McCabe is a great 2nd pairing D man, we paid to have him at half his cap hit. Not ridiculous at all.

Having depth on defence would be amazing, who is it that you think we're gonna acquire that would push McCabe into the bottom pair ? The way I see it, he's our 3D right now. If he's our 5th best D, it's hardly something to complain about.

Who did you want us to acquire to "upgrade" from McCabe ?

Your team does not get better by letting it's best players that actually contribute in the playoffs, walk.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You said it's good if he doesn't fall off a cliff. Which is exactly what he will do. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at the verbiage.
Barring a very serious injury, I don't see why he would personally. He's been a later bloomer and is playing the best hockey of his career, plus he's built like a tank. I would think he's got at least ~3 good years left, the fourth year is TBD and the fifth year is where I imagine it'll get really dicey, if he is still on the team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If there are not any trade clause this will be great.

500 k raise for decent enough player.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A very modest increase in AAV for what isn't too bad of an increase in term compared to his current deal. This should prove to be a good piece of business.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I still hope we go after Borgen in the summer

Lilijgren gone which gives 3M, find another 1.5M to give him 5-6yeara at 4.5M

Rielly - Tanev
OEL/McCabe - Borgen
McCabe/OEL - XXX

6th D can be Benoit if McCabe plays right side on bottom pair, a young guy like Niemela if he ever impresses enough to get a spot or Hakipana if he is healthy

That defense above would be very solid

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The chances Brad is still here in 6 years are pretty low, Brad dont care about 2030, Brad cares about the next 3 to 4 years...not saying it's the best approach , just that Brad cares about the Brad years.
I don’t know if he’ll be the GM next year. This seems like a moveable deal when needed.

Reactions: leafs in five

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Great player and contract, was looking for this to come in at 4.75M, a notch below DeMelo with inflation. They got it down to 4.5M with some deferral shenanigans.

These deferral contracts are becoming the norm since Carolina signed Slavin and Jarvis. Pridham must have been sleeping on the book he wrote..

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Barring a very serious injury, I don't see why he would personally. He's been a later bloomer and is playing the best hockey of his career, plus he's built like a tank. I would think he's got at least ~3 good years left, the fourth year is TBD and the fifth year is where I imagine it'll get really dicey, if he is still on the team.
Leafs have 4 years including this to contend

Once matthews is 31 and wanting another massive deal its likely over for this group to contend.

McCabe for 3 years of contention at 4.5M is a good value signing.

If we can retool with or without 34 on his next deal then his contract becomes simpler to handle.

He could also be LTIR'd his final year or two if we are retooling/rebuilding in Y4 and 5 of his new deal

Good win now move.

McCabe and Zadorov are similar players for me. McCabe at 4.5M vs I think 6M for zadorov is one of the few times a leaf player is better/comparable to bruins player and makes quite a bit less

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Great player and contract, was looking for this to come in at 4.75M, a notch below DeMelo with inflation. They got it down to 4.5M with some deferral shenanigans.

These deferral contracts are becoming the norm since Carolina signed Slavin and Jarvis. Pridham must have been sleeping on the book he wrote..

Teams could in theory defer a portion of big ticket contract for super stars to future years... totally made up name lets say Match deMiner signs a $12.56 mil contract, could the team defer 25% of that to year 5 and reduce his salary down to $10 mil cap hit annually?

There has been a guy named Jake on the Leafs defence since Gardiner made the team in 2011. For another 5 seasons after this will still be the case.

This is some purple haze enlightenment

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Leafs don't have their 2025 1st round pick nor their 2026 2nd round pick as a result of acquiring McCabe in trade originally.

View attachment 922778

Ridiculous price to pay for a #4 level Dman !!!!

However re-signed now will give the Leafs longer term value at such a high price to obtain, compared to letting him walk for future picks not yet made. Is this helping or making the situation worse?

When the Leafs attempt to bring in another top 4 Dman next summer to add to Rielly, OEL and Tanev it will push McCabe into the bottom pairing and then as a 3rd pairing Dman that is a lot of term and Cap to spend on bottom pairing players when you should be able to draft and develop internally to bottom fill a roster with younger and cheaper talent.

If I had my choice I would want my 1st and 2nd round future draft picks back and would have let McCabe walk as UFA and replaced and used his $4.15 mil towards an UPGRADE on defense not a RUN IT BACK at higher price, point. IMO

Your team does not get better by bringing back your own/same players only paying them more money and in the process of using more cap space. That is not the definition of improvement in my books.
Mess, reminder that Dubas added sweetener to this deal for Chicago to further retain on McCabe’s contract so that they could keep Kerfoot as well

No complaints here.

McCabe is the kind of player we need and have sorely lacked for years.

Reasonable term and AAV.

My only complaint is the bugger doesn’t change his number to 24 so my old McCabe jersey is relevant again…

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
lol so much wrong with this entire post

McCabe is a great 2nd pairing D man, we paid to have him at half his cap hit. Not ridiculous at all.

Having depth on defence would be amazing, who is it that you think we're gonna acquire that would push McCabe into the bottom pair ? The way I see it, he's our 3D right now. If he's our 5th best D, it's hardly something to complain about.

Who did you want us to acquire to "upgrade" from McCabe ?

Your team does not get better by letting it's best players that actually contribute in the playoffs, walk.
Accurate
Leafs have no clue on how to draft and develop a guy like McCabe. The only way to get them is by trading for them, or by signing them in free agency.
Trading for another top 4 dman will cost assets, signing a dman comparable would cost way more than $5m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad