Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People who like the Reaves signing tend to be old and think hockey is played like it was in the 80s.

We've had goons every year, Reaves is not new.

Having said that, he has been fine so far, and I hope he keeps it up.

Mitch Marner used rather vivid imagery to describe what the Toronto Maple Leafs' new forward additions - Ryan Reaves, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Max Domi - bring to the lineup.

"All three of those guys can play with snot, piss, and vinegar," Marner said Thursday, according to Sportsnet's Luke Fox, before praising new general manager Brad Treliving for the signings.

"So, I think he's done a good job of what he said that he wants to bring in - and he's done it ... (They're) three guys that aren't afraid to get in people's faces and down and dirty, and at the same time bring a lot of pace to our game, can do a lot of things around the net, (and) add a lot of different qualities to your team. "And they all have that grittiness. Obviously, what Ryan does, it's going to make people not really want to get down and dirty too much with our team."

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafEgo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Even if we went with your over simplification that scoring more goals is the whole game and all other factors can be eliminated, Sam Lafferty has been in the NHL since 2019-20 and has 24 career goals. Reaves has 19 in that same amount of time. So if the delta is 5 NHL goals spread out over 4 seasons, you’re championing the wrong guy to prove your point.
Looks like were trending to a 5 goal difference per year now with Reaves drop in play the last year or two. Laff is also better defensively, but there is no comparison physically, and that does have value.

I dont mind having a guy like Reaves on the team, but that line has to figure their shit out. They cant get dominated like they have been the first 2 games

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Even if we went with your over simplification that scoring more goals is the whole game and all other factors can be eliminated, Sam Lafferty has been in the NHL since 2019-20 and has 24 career goals. Reaves has 19 in that same amount of time. So if the delta is 5 NHL goals spread out over 4 seasons, you’re championing the wrong guy to prove your point.

This may shock you, but there is more to hockey than just being the goal scorer.

Reaves had 48 points in 252 games compared to 61 in 212 games.

Lafferty also PKs and is better defensively.

If you want to narrow down how effective someone is by goals, I guess Matthews is the best player in the world.

Mitch Marner used rather vivid imagery to describe what the Toronto Maple Leafs' new forward additions - Ryan Reaves, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Max Domi - bring to the lineup.

"All three of those guys can play with snot, piss, and vinegar," Marner said Thursday, according to Sportsnet's Luke Fox, before praising new general manager Brad Treliving for the signings.

"So, I think he's done a good job of what he said that he wants to bring in - and he's done it ... (They're) three guys that aren't afraid to get in people's faces and down and dirty, and at the same time bring a lot of pace to our game, can do a lot of things around the net, (and) add a lot of different qualities to your team. "And they all have that grittiness. Obviously, what Ryan does, it's going to make people not really want to get down and dirty too much with our team."

Toronto ranked 23rd in hits this past season.

Max Domi has 1 hit, and Bertuzzi is tied with Tavares with 3.. not really sure what this post is about.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like were trending to a 5 goal difference per year now with Reaves drop in play the last year or two. Laff is also better defensively, but there is no comparison physically, and that does have value.

I dont mind having a guy like Reaves on the team, but that line has to figure their shit out. They cant get dominated like they have been the first 2 games

I didn’t really like Laf too much. He kind of had the Engvall wheels with worse hands and didn’t have the winning pedigree and snarl of an Acciari, so to have someone more specialized with an ability to dictate momentum shifts is fine by me.

Agreed the 4th line could definitely tighten things up. But a guy like Reaves needs to be evaluated on what he brings to the table and understand he isn’t there to be that Riley Nash quiet minute guy or that peppy ZAR, Aube-Kubel, Lafferty jack of all trades type.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

Kampf is way out of his element
He isn’t a crash and bang center
He is dragging that line down. He is playing like an offensive minded center where a fourth line center gets the puck shoots it in the corner and let’s the two heat seeking missels get on the defense with hard hits

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I remember in last year playoffs there was a scrum near the Leaf bench and some opposing player was yelling at Marner (Bennett?) that he was going to take his head off. Do you think that will happen now? He allows our skill guys to play their game.

Reaves in that situation, assuming he’s not in the box, will be like Schenn was last year after the Rielly-Point incident when Tampa were barking like mad dogs at the bench until Luke skated over and started absorbing all of it. Bertuzzi and Domi will also help in this regard as they’ll be chirping back and that will hopefully spur other guys to speak up as well.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Reaves is the same thing. Which is why you can't actually name anything that's different. He's just the shiny new toy.

Reaves is way more vocal, more of an open ice hitting threat, and so far smarter in how he deploys his physicality. Clifford and Simmonds took too many penalties either due to being over-eager with their physical play or being out of position, we haven’t seen that with Reavo yet.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m only responding to your comment about scoring goals.

Yes, my comment was about lines producing more than they get scored on, which Reaves is very bad at.

That is how you win.

I don't care about his individual production if when he is on the ice he is not a liability and the team plays close to 50% goal differential

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes, my comment was about lines producing more than they get scored on, which Reaves is very bad at.

That is how you win.

I don't care about his individual production if when he is on the ice he is not a liability and the team plays close to 50% goal differential

I'm assuming that you've done the research on how many 4th lines in the NHL produce more goals than they allow, and are ready to share that with the class?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I wasn't even clamouring for a Reaves, but it's hilarious to listen to posters and their intellectually boring agendas. Tough guy bad, must make narrative and same comment all year. Nobody misses Lafferty, Gregor is fine there, zero downside.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Loving what Reaves is bringing so far. Hits like an absolute truck, but pretty clean for the most part, and is obviously a great fighter too. Am used to the Leafs getting pushed around, but that hasn't happened so far. Team has a different swagger with him in the lineup.

We'll see if he can keep it up - obviously he won't be fighting every night, but if he can keep up the hard hits, continue to play decent enough hockey (he's a serviceable 4th liner even without the fighting), and fight every 5-10 games, I'll be totally happy with this signing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This may shock you, but there is more to hockey than just being the goal scorer.

Reaves had 48 points in 252 games compared to 61 in 212 games.

Lafferty also PKs and is better defensively.

If you want to narrow down how effective someone is by goals, I guess Matthews is the best player in the world.

Max Domi has 1 hit, and Bertuzzi is tied with Tavares with 3.. not really sure what this post is about.
This may shock you, but there are things in hockey that stats can't measure and what we're hoping Reaves brings to the Leafs is a perfect example.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So far all his hits have been clean too, and he's gotta fight after because of hitting a guy clean, will never understand that.

We've lacked a guy who finishes his checks, and this guy finishes his checks HARD. I would've paid big money to see him running Radko Gurdas last playoffs that's for sure
probably because this part of the game has been non existent in Toronto for a few years now. Even clean hits that impact your team need to be addressed, physically or otherwise, it's having your teammate's back......

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wasn't even clamouring for a Reaves, but it's hilarious to listen to posters and their intellectually boring agendas. Tough guy bad, must make narrative and same comment all year. Nobody misses Lafferty, Gregor is fine there, zero downside.
It really is bizarre.

Reactions: DarkKnight

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This may shock you, but there are things in hockey that stats can't measure and what we're hoping Reaves brings to the Leafs is a perfect example.

We've had versions of Reaves every year... he's also never won anything. If he had a little bit more of those things you can't measure, would some of the teams he played on won?

This is also hilarious coming from the "only real stats matter" crew.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We've had versions of Reaves every year... he's also never won anything. If he had a little bit more of those things you can't measure, would some of the teams he played on won?

I expected your response would be some such nonsense. You just don't get it, and that's fine, enjoy your spreadsheets.

Re. the bolded - I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm not a part of any "crew" and if all you have is BS strawman arguments, you're only making yourself look silly so why bother posting at all?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The cap hit is 200k of 83.5 million which is .2% of the cap.
We're talking about the amount of his contract that can be buried. It is 85% of his contract.
The leafs absolutely could have ran a 20 man roster with lafferty and reeves.
They couldn't have both without losing somebody else like Timmins. Which would still be forcing the loss of a better player.
Yes they did because they both, because they both played significantly better than Lafferty
Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant, because all 3 could be on the team without Reaves.
Gregor has to do with winning the 4th Line job.
Reaves was handed Lafferty's 4th line job, and he's the one that costs the amount that necessitated the move, not Gregor.
You are going to win with your best players regardless, and if Reaves being on the team makes Matthews better than it’s a huge win.
Reaves being on the team doesn't make Matthews better. Matthews not being injured and being on a hot streak makes Matthews better.
Reaves is way more vocal, more of an open ice hitting threat, and so far smarter in how he deploys his physicality. Clifford and Simmonds took too many penalties either due to being over-eager with their physical play or being out of position, we haven’t seen that with Reavo yet.
We've had tons of vocal locker room players in the past.
We've had open ice hitters too. In fact, even with Reaves here and the best he'll be on his contract, McCabe is still probably our best open ice hitter.
The main benefit Reaves has had going for him in terms of physical deployment is that he doesn't have the Leaf target on his back yet. A couple of the hits he's given out so far would have been called for past players, and will probably be called in the future. I expect it won't be long until he's given the Simmonds treatment - pulled out of fights before they start, and singled out of scrums for existing. It's a little early to be claiming that Reaves won't take too many penalties.
Auston Matthews passes off Leafs championship belt to new member of the team, explains why
The past guys you criticized were given belts and compliments too.
The shift from Reaves swung the momentum in the Leafs' favour
Minnesota literally scored a minute later lol.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That is how you win.

Whatever, come the POs the team who plays most injured plays most scared. I think that's more or less the point of crushing hits, big fists and fearless altercations on the ice. The old Dubas rosters would skate away whistling while the stars get mugged.

For that I am glad. Regarding Tuzzi and Domi, they won't back down when the time comes. That's important to know as a linemate.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I expected your response would be some such nonsense. You just don't get it, and that's fine, enjoy your spreadsheets.

Re. the bolded - I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm not a part of any "crew" and if all you have is BS strawman arguments, you're only making yourself look silly so why bother posting at all?

I do get it, these players have a role, I understand it, but it'd be nice if the player was above an AHL level.

Your whole argument is "trust me, he is effective"

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I thought this board (Leafs) had a pact that we didn't overreact to a 2 game sample size. That we would analyze everything around the 20 game mark.

I am dying to hit the panic button with our 3rd line, but I'm trying as best as I can to stick to the pact.

Some people want to see Kampf traded now. Can you at least give him until the 20 game mark?

Treliving/Keefe have the benefit of the doubt at this point. A terrific start for our top 6 (tons of goals), 2 wins, and a lot questions with almost everything else (there's no doubt).

Honestly though. Let people praise Reaves. We're allowed to be praising Matthews surely. We're having fun right?

Reactions: Kurtz

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Whatever, come the POs the team who plays most injured plays most scared. I think that's more or less the point of crushing hits, big fists and fearless altercations on the ice. The old Dubas rosters would skate away whistling while the stars get mugged.

For that I am glad. Regarding Tuzzi and Domi, they won't back down when the time comes. That's important to know as a linemate.

Reaves will hopefully (and I think likely) be a healthy scratch come playoffs, so he will be useless in that regard.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I do get it, these players have a role, I understand it, but it'd be nice if the player was above an AHL level.

Your whole argument is "trust me, he is effective"
Except I never said any such thing. Like I said before, if all you have is BS strawman arguments, you're only making yourself look silly so why bother posting at all?

• Haha
Reactions: notbias

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We're talking about the amount of his contract that can be buried. It is 85% of his contract.
Who cares, Reaves is a beast.
They couldn't have both without losing somebody else like Timmins. Which would still be forcing the loss of a better player.
Terrible weak Dubas players are not needed here. Team looks better already
Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant, because all 3 could be on the team without Reaves.
Don't need them, again. Dubas couldn't build a winner.
Reaves was handed Lafferty's 4th line job, and he's the one that costs the amount that necessitated the move, not Gregor.
Reaves looks good, Gregor looks good. What's the problem?
Reaves being on the team doesn't make Matthews better. Matthews not being injured and being on a hot streak makes Matthews better.
Yes it makes Matthews better. As of today he just had back to back hattys. When did he do that to open a season under Dubas and his schmucks
We've had tons of vocal locker room players in the past.
We've had open ice hitters too. In fact, even with Reaves here and the best he'll be on his contract, McCabe is still probably our best open ice hitter.
The main benefit Reaves has had going for him in terms of physical deployment is that he doesn't have the Leaf target on his back yet. A couple of the hits he's given out so far would have been called for past players, and will probably be called in the future. I expect it won't be long until he's given the Simmonds treatment - pulled out of fights before they start, and singled out of scrums for existing. It's a little early to be claiming that Reaves won't take too many penalties.

The past guys you criticized were given belts and compliments too.

Minnesota literally scored a minute later lol.
Nope its all different. Dubas preached about being soft and velvet glove new age hockey all day. We don't need to fights, we dont needs the violence he said essentially. He was a lame duck GM and is gone. Hooray, aren't you happy Matthews got 2 hattys to start a season?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Firstly, the Leafs haven't had a true legit heavyweight on the team in years,sure they've had washed up pugilists who in their prime could chuck em, the those days were well behind them. As to Reeves' presence, so far it seems to be working, the stars are lighting it up offensively, perhaps knowing Ryan's on the bench has given them a little more swagger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad