Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I low-key followed Arizona for a long time, and I always like OEL. Even when he got to VAN and everyone suddenly hated him, I felt like he was getting the short end of the stick. I wanted him last year after his buy out, and I'm thrilled he's here now.

This guy will have no problem living up to his contract, and could fill in higher on the depth chart when pressed without the slightest hesitation.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Only two games but he definitely looks like a 2nd pairing guy for us. Looks good alongside McCabe. What I didn’t expect was how strong he is on his skates. Guys try to hit him and he barely moves. Should provide that complementary offense we weren’t getting from our D last year.
This is how I know Nylander is a beast. A few years ago OEL tried to move Nylander and Nylander barely moved. I was like, wait, it's usually the other way around for OEL.

Anyway, back to on topic.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The guy played 15 minutes a night on the best defensive team in hockey last year.

He's been a great add and no it isn't too early to say, he's played a 1000 games for a reason. Nice work Tre. This looks the best D core of this era.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
His breakdown last year was
380 minutes top pair with Forsling
109 Minutes mid pair with Montour
460 Bottom pair with Kulikov.
But that's not really true. Not all of his time with Forsling, for example, was in a top pairing role. He only really played top pairing for 16 games at the beginning of the season when both Ekblad and Montour were out, and before Mikkola had established themselves on the team. He also spent time on the bottom pairing with players other than just Kulikov.

It's good that he was able to hold his own in a top pairing role with a strong partner for a dozen or so games, but it doesn't mean a whole lot. We've had a number of lesser players do similar over the years, and it never changed what they were.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Imagine 17 months later still carrying water for a former GM ffs. What a colossal sad gig. Unreal. Especially since all we did was fail to deliver.

Reactions: Enniskillen

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But that's not really true. Not all of his time with Forsling, for example, was in a top pairing role. He only really played top pairing for 16 games at the beginning of the season when both Ekblad and Montour were out, and before Mikkola had established themselves on the team. He also spent time on the bottom pairing with players other than just Kulikov.

It's good that he was able to hold his own in a top pairing role with a strong partner for a dozen or so games, but it doesn't mean a whole lot. We've had a number of lesser players do similar over the years, and it never changed what they were.
His competition profile was exactly that of a midpair defenseman over the course of the season- balance between all levels. A third of his 5v5 minutes against elite level comp.

We havent had a number of former all star 1d level defenders do it as a part of an upswing/ potential partial return to form after a season destroyed by injury.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's surprised me so far. Hopefully can keep it up. Looks to be a great middle pairing option at the moment.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The guy played 15 minutes a night on the best defensive team in hockey last year.

He's been a great add and no it isn't too early to say, he's played a 1000 games for a reason. Nice work Tre. This looks the best D core of this era.
Certainly up there- on paper I'd put it even with the 1 year we had healthy ish Muzzin and Brodie.

Tre had a much much better 2nd offseason on paper

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I was pretty down on this signing.

Only two games in but so far I'm impressed. Hopefully I was dead wrong.

I think we need one more top 4 guy sometime this season, preferably a righty to replace Liljegren. Or maybe Liljegren himself can become that.

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-???
Benoit-McCabe
Hakanpaa

Would have me pretty confident going in to the postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad