Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, hard, fast fall.

If they can get close to good Brodie, Leafs win.
Brodie’s a perfect example of just how fast a D man can fall off a cliff, I doubt anyone thought he would drop like a rock, I know I didn’t expect it…….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie’s a perfect example of just how fast a D man can fall off a cliff, I doubt anyone thought he would drop like a rock, I know I didn’t expect it…….

I don’t know how typical it is actually. A couple of years ago I noticed some funny hiccups in his defensive game and just said “we might need to monitor Brodie for some decline.” And then he went off a cliff.

But it also sounds like he’s been dealing with some serious real life issues. And honestly, when a D man falls off so dramatically, it’s more of a notable storyline than typical for most guys. Most guys gradually sink into obscurity but don’t become completely unplayable over a short period of time.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Guys usually fall off a cliff when they are older and come off major injuries. OEL playing a full season at a high level last year bodes well for us, but we will see how the next few years go. If he can stay healthy he can probably have no problem playing out his contract at a high level. Big if though…. But swapping Brodie out and bringing OEL in should have a massive impact for us. There is an element of addition by subtraction here, both with Brodie and Samsonov out. OEL and McCabe should complement each other very well.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Guys usually fall off a cliff when they are older and come off major injuries. OEL playing a full season at a high level last year bodes well for us, but we will see how the next few years go. If he can stay healthy he can probably have no problem playing out his contract at a high level. Big if though…. But swapping Brodie out and bringing OEL in should have a massive impact for us. There is an element of addition by subtraction here, both with Brodie and Samsonov out. OEL and McCabe should complement each other very well.
OEL will be very, very good for the Leafs.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Not saying this is why his play fell off but there was family stuff going on, his wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I have no idea how this guy could focus on playing a professional sport in front of 12k people every other night. I know my mind would be somewhere else.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Is bottom pairing "high level"?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1725756086882.png

1725756236863.png

So who was he playing with in Vancouver? That is one ugly looking group.

1725756373224.png

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Reilly, McCabe, Tanev definitely the top 3 on the Leafs.

OEL, Liljegren #4/#5.

Benoit #6.

Need one of OEL or Liljegren to become a #4 D.

If Liljegren develops into a #4 it will take a lot of pressure off of OEL.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
After reading this thread, I feel like a lot of people didn't know who OEL was.

He was better than Rielly in his prime. He was overpaid in the canucks market and didn’t do well on offense for them but they liked his defense and willingness to get involved.

As a panther he was a top pair for half the season and was the no 1 ppqb in the finals.

I know he’s not a no 1 D man now , but hopefully a good 2nd pair/pp2.

He looks great. Probably need to manage his minutes but considering all the 8 million salaries now 3.5 is fine.

Lilly as a scratch is unforgivable. 3 million on the bench and you couldn’t find enough for Roy?

Reactions: All Mod Cons

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He was better than Rielly in his prime. He was overpaid in the canucks market and didn’t do well on offense for them but they liked his defense and willingness to get involved.

As a panther he was a top pair for half the season and was the no 1 ppqb in the finals.

He looks great. Probably need to manage his minutes but considering all the 8 million salaries now 3.5 is fine.

Lilly as a scratch is unforgivable. 3 million on the bench and you couldn’t find enough for Roy?
Pretty sure Roy didn't want to come to Canada. Signing free agents is not a one way street.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

I feel like your sugar coating these comments pretty heavily.

"Top pair for half the season" - 5th in TOI per game, 1.5 minutes less than 4th

"No1 PPQB in the finals" - true, but only because Montour turned into a pumpkin and then small sample but the PP was awful with him in that spot.

I think he's been fine thru 2 games, looks worth his 3.5. He's been solid enough defensively and getting himself in good positions offensively. The offensive execution has been shaky at best though. We'll see if the offense comes along or that's just what he is now.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Our old fart failed experiments gave us a skewed perspective on the other old farts in the league.

OEL, Tanev and Pacioretty have been welcome additions thus far. Glad to have them aboard for this seasons run.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I feel like your sugar coating these comments pretty heavily.

"Top pair for half the season" - 5th in TOI per game, 1.5 minutes less than 4th

"No1 PPQB in the finals" - true, but only because Montour turned into a pumpkin and then small sample but the PP was awful with him in that spot.

I think he's been fine thru 2 games, looks worth his 3.5. He's been solid enough defensively and getting himself in good positions offensively. The offensive execution has been shaky at best though. We'll see if the offense comes along or that's just what he is now.

He was paired with forsling and looked fantastic.

I’m not expecting him to be a top pair. But as. 4 for 3.5 he looks good.

He was absolutely a top 10-15 D in the league for his prime. Then had some injuries van but still looked good defensively. Heck didn’t he fight simmonds?

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Knew it wouldn't be long before the "come around" posts began on OEL.

Always had faith he'd be a positive addition. Dude is instantly our 3rd best D. He was a captain of a NHL-like team for years as a young player. Had a couple of injury plagued years on a questionable Canucks team that probably weren't the norm with this guy. Really excited for this version of the team, especially seeing what Berube can do with the D.

Reactions: banks and Roo

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Only two games but he definitely looks like a 2nd pairing guy for us. Looks good alongside McCabe. What I didn’t expect was how strong he is on his skates. Guys try to hit him and he barely moves. Should provide that complementary offense we weren’t getting from our D last year.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Those defenseman contracts are hilarious. They are in their mid 30's.
Are they or is one? And now we know you don't know what you talk about and if did. Accurate is not one of your traits.

I think he was overvalued which made the fall looks worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad