Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The funny thing is people would be upset if we didnt sign OEL. They had to do something, the other guys picked elsewhere. Right now Toronto has to take whomever will play here. He won a cup and he can help us. Torontos defense is better than last years`version. Is it a cup defense? Only if every guy has a career year at the same time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The funny thing is people would be upset if we didnt sign OEL. They had to do something, the other guys picked elsewhere. Right now Toronto has to take whomever will play here. He won a cup and he can help us. Torontos defense is better than last years`version. Is it a cup defense? Only if every guy has a career year at the same time.

I don't think anyone has to have a career year, but several have to step up from previous years playoffs performance.

Regular season doesn't carry over, so career years won't help in the playoffs other than perhaps getting home ice in more than the first round.

A career playoffs for half the team would be amazing.
Not being able to decide between players 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the the Smythe ... that would be great for debate.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He doesn't mention winning anywhere.

Why do you lie so much?

Treliving has never shown he has the ability to put together a winning team which is likely why he never mentioned it.

He mentioned that talent here, but not winning.
Maybe you missed the following?

One is that he believes he has a chance to win again in Toronto.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe you missed the following?

One is that he believes he has a chance to win again in Toronto.

Mess said that... where has OEL mentioned winning?

Or he is quoting another article maybe... but nowhere has OEL mentioned winning from what I saw.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Mess said that... where has OEL mentioned winning?

Or he is quoting another article maybe... but nowhere has OEL mentioned winning from what I saw.

He doesn’t use the specific word “winning” but the implication of the bolded statement couldn’t be much clearer.

"I've always liked coming [to Toronto] as an away team, playing in that building. It's always special. Obviously, there's a lot of history in the organization and I feel like they have a really good team that has a chance to do something special as well. I think it's a good fit."

Both this quote and what mess posted are from the same article / interview with OEL

Last edited:
Reactions: Confucius

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He doesn’t use the specific word “winning” but the implication of the bolded statement couldn’t be much clearer.

"I've always liked coming [to Toronto] as an away team, playing in that building. It's always special. Obviously, there's a lot of history in the organization and I feel like they have a really good team that has a chance to do something special as well. I think it's a good fit."

I never saw that quote, thanks, I was wrong.

He does talk a lot about the organization and the staff as a reason for coming here, I missed the one-off sentence (or the article I read didn't have it, not sure), my bad.

I'm not convinced he came here to win based on what I've read, but I do agree he said it (or a version of it). I am sure going to a playoff team and having a chance to win is important to an extent though.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For what it’s worth, small samples and all those other qualifiers:

This year playoffs:

Montour: 1g, 2a pp production in 24gp
93:47 PPTOI, 3:54 per game, 66.9% PPTOI%
9GF, 4GA

OEL: 0g, 4a pp production in 24gp
42:06 PPTOI, 1:45 per game, 30.0% PPTOI%
6GF, 1GA

There’s a fairly easy case to make here that OEL was the most effective PP QB on the team that just won the Stanley Cup

Reactions: Ianturnedbull
Sep 18, 2009
A little bit too much cash on this one but it might be risk worth taking we will find out soon Klingberg was a dumb move from the get go anybody with a brain could predict that one

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

After their loss to Vegas in 2023, the Panthers defensive corps were beat up to start the 2023-24 season. Top-pairing defencemen Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour were both out significant time to start the season with injuries.

This led to the Panthers bringing into some help in order to keep the team afloat for the first few weeks of the season. Among that help was Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who Bennett credits as an unsung hero for the squad.

“I was honestly shocked with how good he is,” said Bennett. “Everyone knew how good he was earlier in his career in Arizona, but last year he was probably one of our unsung heroes for how steady he was.”

Ekman-Larsson has since joined the Maple Leafs as one of their key free-agent signings in the off-season. Bennett believes that the defenceman will quickly show how valuable he is to his new team, especially around playoff time.

“He’s a really good pickup for Toronto,” said Bennett. “He was a key cog in the playoffs for how good he was. He’ll get in there and has a little nastiness to his game as well. He was a huge pickup for us last year and a big part of us winning.”

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

After their loss to Vegas in 2023, the Panthers defensive corps were beat up to start the 2023-24 season. Top-pairing defencemen Aaron Ekblad and Brandon Montour were both out significant time to start the season with injuries.

This led to the Panthers bringing into some help in order to keep the team afloat for the first few weeks of the season. Among that help was Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who Bennett credits as an unsung hero for the squad.

“I was honestly shocked with how good he is,” said Bennett. “Everyone knew how good he was earlier in his career in Arizona, but last year he was probably one of our unsung heroes for how steady he was.”

Ekman-Larsson has since joined the Maple Leafs as one of their key free-agent signings in the off-season. Bennett believes that the defenceman will quickly show how valuable he is to his new team, especially around playoff time.

“He’s a really good pickup for Toronto,” said Bennett. “He was a key cog in the playoffs for how good he was. He’ll get in there and has a little nastiness to his game as well. He was a huge pickup for us last year and a big part of us winning.”
I like this. I wish this quote was around when they first signed OEL.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
OEL is like Kling, but with a little more certainty and a little less upside. Probably why he got a little less money, but more term.

Should range from overpaid passable third pairing to cost efficient strong second pairing.

Hard to say what we will get but he has the right toolset.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
OEL is like Kling, but with a little more certainty and a little less upside. Probably why he got a little less money, but more term.

Should range from overpaid passable third pairing to cost efficient strong second pairing.

Hard to say what we will get but he has the right toolset.

Well, OEL’s career seems to be on the rebound whereas Klingberg was completely falling apart so hopefully they’re not that similar.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hoping ORL can continue to play well and can also help further Liljegren’s development.

Liljegren played well when paired with Giordano, but once Gio started to slide, Liljegren wasn’t far enough along to compensate for it.

With clear pairings of Rielly-Tanev, McCabe-Benoit, hoping with a new coach who can actually inspire some confidence and a still high performing veteran OEL as a consistent defence partner (being a fellow Swede helps too!), hopefully Liljegren takes a significant step forward this year.

We really need him to, and for his long-term prospects here, he needs it desperately too.

Last edited:
Reactions: conFABulator

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Oddly enough I’m pretty excited to see OEL slot into the bottom four. He had a good bounce back season last year and can slot in next to McCabe or Liljegren easily. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the top PP unit as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00