Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Of course they'd love to accrue cap space ... is that something you've regularly seen with the Leafs?
It wasn't really an option we had for the past couple years, because we had a player with multiple years left get a career-ending injury. Now, we can.

Reactions: banks

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Nope.

Did people have expectations he'd be anything more than a bottom pairing defender anyway?

Additionally, he wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing until the playoffs.

He'd be working out and skating, practicing, just like other players have done ... just not cleared to play.

I'd have the expectations that he would be a #7D in this scenario since he hasn't played in over a year and it becomes an even more pointless signing.

Logically, it just makes no sense that they will sign him unless it was to play for the team during the season this year.

So how far below the ceiling are the Leafs going to be opening night?

They are 1.2 with a 22 man roster, can be closer to 3 if they want to use a 20 man roster.

Moving Reaves to the minors and bringing up someone better (and cheaper) would put them at 1.5 and a 22 man roster.

This is the first year the Leafs have some flexibility with the cap because they aren't using LTIR, I doubt they want to lose that.

Reactions: banks

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd have the expectations that he would be a #7D in this scenario since he hasn't played in over a year and it becomes an even more pointless signing.

Logically, it just makes no sense that they will sign him unless it was to play for the team during the season this year.

They are 1.2 with a 22 man roster, can be closer to 3 if they want to use a 20 man roster.

Moving Reaves to the minors and bringing up someone better (and cheaper) would put them at 1.5 and a 22 man roster.

This is the first year the Leafs have some flexibility with the cap because they aren't using LTIR, I doubt they want to lose that.

That would be good, but we don't know what the opening night roster will look like.

I'd be surprised if there are not minor adjustments, or say some brotherly love tossed in there.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If this deal gets voided, I suspect we sign Robert Bortuzzo instead. A downgrade for sure but meets the Big tough RD components with PK experience.

Also played under Berbube

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
My guess is that the Leafs very much want to stay out of LTIR. Contrary to popular opinion, it has hindered more than helped them in prior seasons.
I agree with you that they probably want to stay out of it, but it has helped more than hindered.

Yes, we lost the ability to accrue, but we did get to use the Muzzin, Murray, Klingberg space

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I agree with you that they probably want to stay out of it, but it has helped more than hindered.

Yes, we lost the ability to accrue, but we did get to use the Muzzin, Murray, Klingberg space
It would have been infinitely better to have those players healthy and playing relative to how the LTIR money was used to replace them.

Reactions: Obo and Insidefi

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Of course, but that is not at all what is being discussed here
But what's being discussed here is silly. The Leafs didn't sign this guy to sit on LTIR all season. They thought he was healthy, but obviously he is not. That is the entire story.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
But what's being discussed here is silly. The Leafs didn't sign this guy to sit on LTIR all season. They thought he was healthy, but obviously he is not. That is the entire story.

End of story? Is he signed? I don't believe that is confirmed. Why is he not signed officially, yet a lot of signs point to him having an agreement with the Leafs?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
End of story? Is he signed? I don't believe that is confirmed. Why is he not signed officially, yet a lot of signs point to him having an agreement with the Leafs?
Wild guess, but because he didn't pass his physical? Is it so hard to believe that the Leafs took a shot, and it didn't work? They tried to sign a guy, but the guy is still injured, so I'm sure now they are trying to determine whether he can play or not. If he can't, then the contract falls away.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Wild guess, but because he didn't pass his physical? Is it so hard to believe that the Leafs took a shot, and it didn't work? They tried to sign a guy, but the guy is still injured, so I'm sure now they are trying to determine whether he can play or not. If he can't, then the contract falls away.
Is he signed and injured or not signed because he is injured? Those are two very different things.

The signing was never announced by the team, the league or the player. Yet, we seem to know the terms and Stolarz made a comment that he has played with him before when asked about what teammates he knows.

I don't know what is happening here, but I don't think it is end of story.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Is he signed and injured or not signed because he is injured? Those are two very different things.

The signing was never announced by the team, the league or the player. Yet, we seem to know the terms and Stolarz made a comment that he has played with him before when asked about what teammates he knows.

I don't know what is happening here, but I don't think it is end of story.
Every contract is conditional on the player passing a physical. I think the simple answer is that he didn't pass the physical, so for now he doesn't have a contract. The media here is so delicate when it comes to this team that no one will just come out and say that the Leafs made a mistake. It's not that shocking. They did pretty much the same thing last season.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Every contract is conditional on the player passing a physical. I think the simple answer is that he didn't pass the physical, so for now he doesn't have a contract. The media here is so delicate when it comes to this team that no one will just come out and say that the Leafs made a mistake. It's not that shocking. They did pretty much the same thing last season.
If he is not signed to a contract, what mistake did the Leafs make?

I still think there is more to this. If Hakanpaa is healthy, he signs for much more than $1.5M. Why would Stolarz refer to him as a current Maple Leaf.

It kind of feels like you want this to be a mistake end of story. I still don't understand what that mistake is exactly.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he is not signed to a contract, what mistake did the Leafs make?

I still think there is more to this. If Hakanpaa is healthy, he signs for much more than $1.5M. Why would Stolarz refer to him as a current Maple Leaf.

It kind of feels like you want this to be a mistake end of story. I still don't understand what that mistake is exactly.
I don't want this to be anything. They tried to sign a guy. Turns out the guy is injured and cannot pass a physical. I don't see it as much of anything. I think people so desperately want to make more out of a situation because people love drama. He is hurt and can't physically play. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

Reactions: CincoHolio

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't want this to be anything. They tried to sign a guy. Turns out the guy is injured and cannot pass a physical. I don't see it as much of anything. I think people so desperately want to make more out of a situation because people love drama. He is hurt and can't physically play. I'm not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

Two posts ago you were calling it a mistake and saying the media was too soft to report it as such.

Again, what is the mistake?

How is this not the opposite of a mistake? A mistake would signing him without a physical, no? If what you are saying happened is in fact what happened then didn't the Leafs do everything right?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Two posts ago you were calling it a mistake and saying the media was too soft to report it as such.

Again, what is the mistake?

How is this not the opposite of a mistake? A mistake would signing him without a physical, no? If what you are saying happened is in fact what happened then didn't the Leafs do everything right?
It's a mistake because they tried to sign a guy to fill a need they identified, but they didn't do sufficient diligence on his injury. As a result, they lost the opportunity to sign another player. If Dubas had done this, there would be posters here ridiculing him. And yes, the media in Toronto is soft as butter.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's a mistake because they tried to sign a guy to fill a need they identified, but they didn't do sufficient diligence on his injury. As a result, they lost the opportunity to sign another player. If Dubas had done this, there would be posters here ridiculing him. And yes, the media in Toronto is soft as butter.

Did they though? Which guys signed late in FA for $1.5M or less that we missed out on, keeping in mind we did Myers and Mermis (or whatever).

So, you do have an issue. I am not sure why you.tied to say you didn't there for a moment.

As I said, I think there is more to this and Hakanpaa will be signed. I think there is a reason we don't know that he has not been signed yet. It's not a surprised failed physical. Everyone in the world knew he was hurt.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Wait. I don't disagree with your sentiment, but you're talking in the past tense here. This contract is terminated now?

Is there an official update that I missed?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Did they though? Which guys signed late in FA for $1.5M or less that we missed out on, keeping in mind we did Myers and Mermis (or whatever).

So, you do have an issue. I am not sure why you.tied to say you didn't there for a moment.

As I said, I think there is more to this and Hakanpaa will be signed. I think there is a reason we don't know that he has not been signed yet. It's not a surprised failed physical. Everyone in the world knew he was hurt.
I mean, I don't have an issue with it in the sense that he is a bottom-tier player in any event, so it's not like having him or not having will impact the season. I just don't think there is any great controversy about what happened. It's just a failed physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad