Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Chris Tanev (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think people are actually underestimating how much the combination of Tanev and Berube will improve this team's defense. It will be transformative. The Leafs only need Tanev to play at a high level for a couple of years. After that, the contract can simply be bought out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think people are actually underestimating how much the combination of Tanev and Berube will improve this team's defense. It will be transformative. The Leafs only need Tanev to play at a high level for a couple of years. After that, the contract can simply be bought out.
It will still not be enough to make a difference vs Boston or Flordia

The offense needs to have a breakout otherwise we will lose again.

Tanev wont be more than a #3D if hes fully healthy and that is risky to expect given his age and past history of injury issues

Leafs are missing 1LW, 1RHD still

Playoffs we are missing a 2C (tabares becomes a 3 or 4C) and our top 3 guys production goes from amongst the leagues leading players to just good rates generally.

Reactions: fahad203

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We need more than Tanev to play at a high level. We also need the core that can’t get the job done to step up.
This is essentially the same thing run back again but with a new coach. Hopefully he can reach this core because the last 2 coaches were unable to

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not saying you are not correct but let’s not pretend Tanev is Pietranglo here.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Tanev wont be more than a #3D if hes fully healthy and that is risky to expect given his age and past history of injury issues

Playoffs we are missing a 2C (tabares becomes a 3 or 4C) and our top 3 guys production goes from amongst the leagues leading players to just good rates generally.

Tavares cannot be in our 2nd line center going into the playoffs. Too slow, too soft, doesn't have the skill anymore to compensate for those

Tanev does fill the gap for now. But in few years that contract is going to look so bad.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm not saying that he is. Not at all. It's the combination of what he will do for the defense as a whole in terms of slotting people in the right places, and the way Berube transforms how the team plays as a unit. I think people are underestimating how dramatic the change will be. It probably will take 40 or 50 games for the team to gel, but when it does the difference will be significant.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

The difference between pieteangelo and Tanev is tanev was bringing basically nothing offensively and pietrangrlo is pretty strong in this part of the game. If you're took defensive part, they are probably probably closer than you think

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

You are right but the argument is improving the D improves the offense. Same with goaltending. If they know they can trust the D to break up a play and move the puck and the goalie to make a safe they can take risks like other stars do.

Last year I lost count how many times McCabe and partner were stuck passing the puck around back and forth behind our net getting forechecked until Matthews came back to outlet and start the breakout

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Tanev... yup it'd be better if he was a few years younger but don't kid yourself.. sure he wanted to come home but many teams were after him hence the years they get on him.

If he can do 4 years even... they're laughing.

Mo is going to have a great season because it's the best partner he's ever had.

It's insane to say it ... but it's true. He's never had another guy who can play like Tanev.

I'm very optimistic about this pairing.

That and the fight for rookies making the team are going to be my 2 favourite things to watch come pre season.

The 3rd the goalies.

Way off topic but to bring it all back... just think how good Mo looked with an old Hainsey.

Reactions: CincoHolio

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You are right but the argument is improving the D improves the offense. Same with goaltending. If they know they can trust the D to break up a play and move the puck and the goalie to make a safe they can take risks like other stars do.

Last year I lost count how many times McCabe and partner were stuck passing the puck around back and forth behind our net getting forechecked until Matthews came back to outlet and start the breakout
Is tanev going to be able to move the puck out any better than Brodie or Muzzin when he was here?

OEL might be able to but he also doesnt usually play top 4 mins and idk how much he plays with the big guys

Our defense needs to know when to be aggresive offensively and when to step back, thats been an issue for several runs now where we be overly aggresive on last second pinches and it burns us

Lilijgren needs to take a step and show hes more than a bottom pairing D for once. Hes been super inconsistent and soft for 2.5 years now, so we desperately need him to take a step and be able to move the puck both with his stick and his feet by rushing it.

The defense may be improved and same with goaltending but Im concerned with the age and injury issues the D and G have and hope we can acquire an impact D in his mid to late 20s for the team. A 1RHD to push Tanev and Lilijgren/Benoit down a pair.

This year seems to be a retool/toss year so we can afford to see how things run but I think expectations should be lower for the group b/c the group isnt really built for a deep run as the team is. I hope we just avoid playing Boston and Flordia somehow. Cant standing losing to those teams again, and would rather play and try to win vs metro or tampa R3

Hopefully we make smart decisions in the summer. Hope we look at RFA market and consider offer sheets next summer for targetted young players to inject into the team if we move on from Tavares and look at being able to fix holes at 2C, 1LW and 1RHD (LW could come internally via Cowan and or Knies)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm not saying that he is. Not at all. It's the combination of what he will do for the defense as a whole in terms of slotting people in the right places, and the way Berube transforms how the team plays as a unit. I think people are underestimating how dramatic the change will be. It probably will take 40 or 50 games for the team to gel, but when it does the difference will be significant.
Only if the Beta chokers buy in and can do the stuff that Berube wants. Bc I don’t think Keefe’s instruction was let’s not start on time, don’t forecheck or backcheck until the 3rd period….

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The difference between pieteangelo and Tanev is tanev was bringing basically nothing offensively and pietrangrlo is pretty strong in this part of the game. If you're took defensive part, they are probably probably closer than you think
Pietra is a much much better passer in the Dzone and can skate out the zone better than Tanev. That’s already a huge diff in transition.

No doubt when it comes to battling in the corner, clearing the crease or preventing zone entry, Tanev is not that much of a diff than Pietra

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is tanev going to be able to move the puck out any better than Brodie or Muzzin when he was here?

OEL might be able to but he also doesnt usually play top 4 mins and idk how much he plays with the big guys

Our defense needs to know when to be aggresive offensively and when to step back, thats been an issue for several runs now where we be overly aggresive on last second pinches and it burns us

Lilijgren needs to take a step and show hes more than a bottom pairing D for once. Hes been super inconsistent and soft for 2.5 years now, so we desperately need him to take a step and be able to move the puck both with his stick and his feet by rushing it.

The defense may be improved and same with goaltending but Im concerned with the age and injury issues the D and G have and hope we can acquire an impact D in his mid to late 20s for the team. A 1RHD to push Tanev and Lilijgren/Benoit down a pair.

This year seems to be a retool/toss year so we can afford to see how things run but I think expectations should be lower for the group b/c the group isnt really built for a deep run as the team is. I hope we just avoid playing Boston and Flordia somehow. Cant standing losing to those teams again, and would rather play and try to win vs metro or tampa R3

Hopefully we make smart decisions in the summer. Hope we look at RFA market and consider offer sheets next summer for targetted young players to inject into the team if we move on from Tavares and look at being able to fix holes at 2C, 1LW and 1RHD (LW could come internally via Cowan and or Knies)
I think expectation is already low as I think even the most diehard fans think Leafs is just a playoffs team.
Lowering expectations is them missing the playoffs.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Pietra is a much much better passer in the Dzone and can skate out the zone better than Tanev. That’s already a huge diff in transition.

No doubt when it comes to battling in the corner, clearing the crease or preventing zone entry, Tanev is not that much of a diff than Pietra

that's basically what i said...

In the offensive side of the puck, Pietrangelo is much better but defensively its basically the same

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
that's basically what i said...

In the offensive side of the puck, Pietrangelo is much better but defensively its basically the same
To me it is transition.
The game is all about transition esp in playoffs when both teams are playing safe and waiting to pounce on other teams mistakes.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
To me it is transition.
The game is all about transition esp in playoffs when both teams are playing safe and waiting to pounce on other teams mistakes.
Not sure where the comparisons with pet started but they are totally different players.

I'll tell you 2 things he'll do way better than him though... eat a puck off his face and clear the crease. It's not even close.

Transition is key obviously but that's on Mo more. Tanev can make a first pass. I'm happy to see a guy who will battle in the D zone and happily do it.

Last guy was Muzz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad